GWH 1:72 F-14D Tomcat double build

Started by Sebastijan Videc · 42 · 7 months ago · F-14, GWH, tomcat
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

You are definitely not a beginner painter, Sebastijan @inflames. These figures really came out well and will be a great addition to the plane.

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Thanks guys! I guess I am my own worst critique 🙂 It's just when I see these blown up photos 10 times larger than the figures themselves and see all the little blemishes, that I start loosing faith in my skills 😀 But truth is, I really like them, when I see them with my own eyes - even if they are admittedly starting to fail a little bit.

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Decals time! We both used the old VF-decals sheet covering VF-101 birds amongst others. While I had reasonably few issues with these and only a little bit of silvering, which was taken care of with Daco Strong setting solution, Mitja on the other hand had bigger problems - some severe cases of silvering which required grey paint overspray to hide it... but in the case of USN F-14s, that's a norm and he did great I think!

Mitja's bird:

Mine:

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great result so far, despite the challenges decals gave to you, my friend @inflames!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Amazing progress, Sebastijan @inflames

• Profile Photo

Thank you Spiros and John!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Things are really starting to pop, Sebastijan (@inflames), especially on the second model with the exposed red areas. The open/deployed parts of the wing creates more interest, I think, in an otherwise flat and gray area.

• Profile Photo

Thank you, George! I agree, a splash of bright colour always adds that umph to an otherwise bland grey model. That's one of the reasons why I sometimes use engine intake covers or missile sensor covers to add that little colour to the normal 50-shades of grey!

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 7 months, 1 week ago:

Bringing this topic back to life - Mitja's picking up his work again so here's a tale of some legs 🙂

While there's nothing wrong with GWH's landing gear struts, they always look so better when you add some wiring to them.
    Mitja's:

I have used 0.2mm lead wire for most of the wiring and various bits and pieces. The landing light was drilled out, painted in chrome given a black wash and then filled with clear UV curing resin, which I think improves the looks quite significantly.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 7 months, 1 week ago:

These legs look awesome, my friend @inflames!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 7 months, 1 week ago:

The wires do add a lot to this landing gear, Sebastijan @inflames

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 7 months, 1 week ago:

Lots of work done on the landing gear, Sebastijan (@inflames). It really makes a difference.