Halberd Piper Enforcer Model 1971

Started by Tom Cleaver · 12 · 7 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

I finally managed to snag one of Halberd's Piper Enforcer conversion kits.

I had decided I wanted to do the Piper PA-48 Enforcer, but it turns out - if you do what all good modelers should do with any project, but most particularly a project like this - that research shows you cannot get there (1984 PA-48 Enforcer) from here (Cavalier 1971 Enforcer).

The PA-48 has a much larger and deeper nose cowling, because it has a much larger turboprop engine in there. The fuselage is also longer. Period. Stop.

But what is provided in the nice sturdy white box from Halberd is all you need to make the Cavalier Enforcer bought by Piper and used in the 1971 USAF flyoff.

Halberd makes a mistake of not making the significantly larger sliding canopy for this airplane; it just doesn't look right with the Eduard standard P-51 canopy. Fortunately, I recently purchased a Falcon Clear-Vax Canopies set for P-51s. It includes the canopies done for the old Hobbycrat F-82; those are not accurate F-82 canopies, and won't work on the Modelsvit F-82 kit. However, the sliding canopy is larger than the standard P-51 canopy, and precisely fits this kit. Voila! The one missing part problem solved!

I'm trying to decide whether I will do the 1971 Cavalier Enforcer prototype, or the "what-if" airplane that the Air Force decided was a good idea and ordered ten of to re-equip the "Zorros" T-28Ds to use over the Ho Chi Minh Trail.

I have this nice publicity shot from Piper back in 1971 of the airplane "loaded for bear" and I have the ordnance to duplicate this loadout. So a "Zorros" Enforcer is entirely possible.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

Awesome conversion, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

That will look amazing, Tom @tcinla
    Never saw this aircraft before, will be looking with great interest to see this progressing.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

This should be a fun kit, Tom (@tcinla). Nice job finding a work-around with the canopy. I didn't join the Air Force until 1973, but I remember seeing one of these somewhere. I don't think I have any photos of it. Looking forward to your build of this resin kit.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looking forward to this one, Tom @tcinla. I saw some vintage photos of newly minted Piper Enforcers lined up on the tarmac in front of the factory in an issue of Finescale Modeler last year. I'm going to have to dig that issue up.

Meanwhile I shall be starting my Halberd Cavalier Turbo Mustang III any day now.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

I have that one too, @eb801. Was almost thinking of doing a simultaneous project.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

Here is the model, assembled.

I discovered a problem with this kit that also is likely the case with the Cavalier Turboprop (Dart engine) kit I know several people have, so this discussion is likely good for those kits, too.

The Eduard kit features a "ledge" on both fuselage halves, where the cockpit floor fits. When you install the sidewalls, that is a very tight fit, and if you are not careful when assembling the fuselage, you can miss the ledge on the side the cockpit isn't already glued into. Fortunately, since that is all plastic, you can open it up a bit and fix the fit, or even go so far as to pull the fuselage halves apart and start over.

That's not the case with the Halberd fuselage, which is resin and requires C-A glue. This wasn't a problem with the Cavalier II kit, which is just a Merlin-engine Mustang; everything went together easy. However, with the turbo kits, you have an additional thing to worry about - you have the exhaust pipe hanging into its position unglued, while you get the fuselage halves together before you stick the CA bottle (with a long neck) into the open nose and glue it in position once everything else is together.

The result - which I learned the hard way - is that you can easily get the cockpit out of alignment with that ledge on the unglued-in side. And by the time you have the fuselage all together and you discover it's been "widened" by the mistake, it is waaaaaay too late to pull things apart and start over. Which leads to all the nice modifications for fit of the wing sub assembly and the fuselage halves is for naught and you are left to modify all that again with the fuslage assembled. This. Is. Not. Easy. The result is all the putty around the wing/fuselage assembly you see in these photos. It took several days and in the end it's still not quite really right, though it will "pass muster" at two feet viewing distance.

The solution: get rid of the "ledge" on the unglued side. Do not apply glue to the cockpit floor while assembling the fuelage. Once that assembly is done, if necessary push the floor up till it touches the side panel and is level, then apply CA glue from below. You will totally avoid all the problems I came up with. (that's also a good solution for many who are doing the straight Eduard P-51 kit)

I was fortunate to discover when I went pawing around in the Big Box O' Squardon/Falcon canopies to discover a set for the F-82 Twin Mustang - this is for the Hobbycraft kit that is wrongwrongwrong, and incorrect for the rightrightright Modelsvit kit. However, the sliding canopy is the right shape for the Cavalier Mustangs - if you trim the lower canopy frame to be flat. Check the trimming of the forward end of the canopy so it fits to the windscreen, and you can close it as I did here. Closing it will keep everyone from noticing that either the interior is completely wrong for the Cavalier airplanes (if you didn't modify anything) or that you didn't get the modifications spot-on if you did modify it.

Other than the Modeler-Induced Problems with the Halberd conversion, this is a really nice kit. You cannot do the later PA-48 Enforcers Piper made in the 1980s, because the cowling for that airplane was considerably deeper all around for the different turboprop used. But you can do the original Piper/Cavalier Enforcer 1971.

I've decided I am going to do this as one of the "Project Dark Knight" Enforcers secretly used by the Air Force for night ops over the Ho Chi Minh Trail that are now known because of the recent declassification of the final report on the project, under the 50 Year Rule. (And if you believe that, I have a bridge for sale you won't be able to say no to. 🙂 )

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looks real good! Paint time! Glad you pointed out the fuselage/cockpit fit issues building the Halberd Turboprop Cavalier. You just made my life easier. Thanks @tcinla.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

@eb801 - You are welcome. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looks great Tom! I dont recall that issue with my Turbo III, but a good point of observation none the less. Thanks for the tip on the Modelcraft canopies, that may bring some redemption to the extras that were provided in my kit before the Modelsvit kit was released. I'll see it it's worth using on my Cav.

Cant wait to see what this classified bird is gonna look like... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 7 months, 1 week ago:

Great progress, my friend @tcinla! And equally great instructions on how to overcome some build issues! Nice camo chosen!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 7 months, 1 week ago:

Very nice progress, Tom @tcinla
    You tackled the kit's issues perfectly, thanks a warning us on what to be expected from this kit/