Halberd/Tamiya XP-47H "Superbolt"

Started by Tom Cleaver · 26 · 4 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Andray at Halberd sent me their latest relases for reviews, arriving yesterday. Among them was this XP-47H Superbolt. I dived right in.

This is one of the easiest conversions I have ever done. If the Halberd pieces were cast in gray resin, you would think it was a plastic kit of the XP-47H. The fuselage halves are as thin as the plastic parts they replace. You use the three piece fuselage (left, right, and the lower intake), the Tamiya wings and horizontal stabs and cockpit. Decals are provided for both prototypes, but 42-23297 was the only one that flew before the program was canceled. Yes, it did fly at 495mph on its third flight.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Awesome, my friend @tcinla!
    Looking forward to see it done!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

What an extraordinary P47, Tom @tcinla
    Never heard about this variant before, the fuselage parts do look very nice indeed.
    Wonder how it looks like once finished.

• Profile Photo
    Clint Miller said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

The XP-47H has always been a favorite of mine. It's great to see an accurate representation of it. This is definitely a conversation I'll be looking in to. Thanks dfor the excellent photos and I look forward to your full thoughts and finished model.

• Profile Photo
    Bryan W. Bernart said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

You made it look easy as cheating-at least at this juncture.
    I have a Koster conversion of the same and just need to get off my dead donkey and make it happen. Already some huge differences.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

This is a really cool conversion, Tom (@tcinla). I visited Halberd website after your last conversion and they have some really interesting stuff. I am assuming this is a 1/48 conversion?

• Profile Photo

@plasticslave - I did a Koster conversion. That and this one don't exist in the same universe with each other. Halberd does the best resin casting I have ever seen. Their P-51 conversions of the Eduard kit (a TF-51D on the way next month) have exactly the same level of surface detail as the Eduard kit. One of the others Andray sent is a full-resin kit of the P-51 Thompson racer "Beguine" - just amazing. He's a one-guy operation in Kyiv. It's incredible to me how it is that Ukraine - with everything going on - is now the "bleeding edge" of scale model kits.

@gblair - yes, this is 1/48. So far my experience is 100% with every one of their kits I have worked with. If you like what they have, get it. You'll like it.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Beautiful conversion set and great craftsmanship. I see another outstanding finished kit in the offing.
    I just ordered their XP-72 Ultrabolt. I’ve got a whiffer project for the 56th Fighter Group redeployed to the Pacific in ‘46 rolling around in my head.

• Profile Photo

@fuzzmann - great minds think alike. I have that conversion (really nice!) and have been toying with combining the conversion set with a Revell P-47N, since the plan for the production P-72 involved using the P-47N wing. However I am more likely going to do a straight review and create the second prototype, the one with the contraprop. If you want to try that, I will you the idea.

• Profile Photo

Damn Tom, putting an N wing on the XP-72 that is exactly what I was thinking about trying 😂. I haven’t thought about the prop or other details yet, so you go with yours while I try to sort mine out after the kit shows up. Happy Holidays Tom

• Profile Photo

@fuzzmann - you will want to use the contraprops, that was what the production plane would have used.

• Profile Photo

@tcinla Morning Tom, thanks for the heads up on the prop. By the way your recent reviews have been killing my wallet, first the Arma Hurricane, the the MiniArt P-47, and now Halberd’s conversions. The boss just laid down the law, last night…more building - less buying… 😳

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Those resin fuselage halves look amazing.

• Profile Photo

@fuzzmann - one of the few values of living alone now is not having to "negotiate purchases." 🙂

• Profile Photo

Painted and decaled. The only markings according to the photos was the national insignia and serial number. I did 223297, the first prototype and the only one that flew. It had maybe 40 hours on the airframe when they canceled further work, so outside of some exhaust stains, not much weathering.

I used Tamiya Lacquer "Olive Drab", which is a good match for "brown-base" OD-41 (their "Olive Drab 2" is a good match for "green-base OD-41"), and Gunze Mr. Color "Neutral Grey" for the airframe. The YZC is Mr. Color "Zinc Chromate Yellow Primer," which produces that strange color. All applied with Mr. Color Leveling thinner, but remember that the Tamiya paint does not need much thinner since it is pretty thin to begin with - in fact I only thinned it to be sure to get a very smooth surface.

The national insignias are smaller than standard P-47 markings. comparing with photos, I used P-51 stars and bars.

Dave up at Smith Brothers took one look at this when I brought it in this morning and exclaimed "What a monster!" A good description.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.