Hasegawa 1/72 B-24J Liberator

Started by Yann Bertholet · 99 · 2 years ago · 1/72, B-24, Hasegawa
  • Profile Photo
    Yann Bertholet said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks my friend Spiros (@fiveten). Really 1/48?!?!?!? She will be huge. Hard to imagine this scale in my tinny house. Keep us posted with this project please.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks John ( @johnb). Yes you definitely need some space to store this beast... I think before starting a new project I will have to build some kind of rack to store securely the finished model. Cause now the box are just pilling up and my shelf is already full...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Yep, huge she will be, my riend @yann!
    Upon starting, of course I will keep you posted!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looks terrific, @yann. Now that the wings are on, this is really starting to look like a proper B-24. I ran out of room to store built and boxed kits a long time ago, and I still find spaces to stuff new kits.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Just peeked in on this build, nice work on my favorite US Heavy from WWII. (Not wanting to start an online arguement with B-17 fans) In many ways the B-24 was a better bomber than the B-17, but did not press favorable press the B-17 had. As ugly as it was or could be, the wing which is quite large really adds that element of elegance that made the plane special. So far it looks like you are doing a bang up job on this kit. Looking forward to seeing more!

• Profile Photo
    Kevin M. Batterman said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Yann,
    Nice work so far and keep it up. I am building the D version of their kit I put weight in several places and I doubt it will sit on its tail. First I added some in the void that is part of the rear cockput bulkhead. Then I added some in the front wheel wheel and as discreetly as possible. Finally I put some in the space beneath the top turret and attached it to what is the bulkhead at the rear of the cockpit. If I add any else if would in the engine nacelles. For weight I used some old lead fishing weights and BBs.
    Good luck and keep up the good work.

Kevin

• Profile Photo

Hello everybody, I was away from the bench those last days. So now I'm back in the business.
    1) Plexiglass from the turrets have been painted with interior green.

2) Anti-glare olive drab in front of the cockpit have been painted.

3) Full cockpit cell painted in grey. From there I had a bad surprise the nose did not fit correctly with the fuselage, so again I went back to the putty operation

Next step will be to paint the model in black in order to avoid any holyday when painting the final coat.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks a lot for your nice comment George @gblair

• Profile Photo

Thank you very much Walt @luftwaffe-birdman. The B-24 is indeed not a queen of beauty, but as you said a terrific bomber with higher perf' than my favorite aircraft, the B-17.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks Kevin @chenango55. I did exactly the same for the ballast, except the outer engine nacelle in order to not stress too much the wings fixations and later the landing gears. Regarding the model, I've to admit that's the most difficult I have ever built so far, and I am a bit disappointed regarding the lack of details. Let's see how it turn out in few weeks...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @yann! Love those interior greens!
    About the nose, it's the usual cas whrn the nose is separate (even worse, when it is molded in clear, like in my Cicogna...).

https://imodeler.com/groups/the-empire-of-japan-1919-1946/forum/topic/fiat-br-20-cicogna-i-type-%e7%a7%81%e3%81%af%e3%82%bf%e3%82%a4%e3%83%97%e3%81%99%e3%82%8b-ijaa-12th-sentai-china-1939/?topic_page=3&num=15

Looking forward to your black!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Good progress, Yann.
    This is one of those frustrating moments when unexpectedly fitting issues pop-up.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Nice work fixing the poor fit on the nose, Yann (@yann). I have built B-24s with a separate nose and with a one-piece nose, and it seems that the separate nose is a consistent problem area regardless of the brand of model.

• Profile Photo
    Yann Bertholet said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Hi everybody.
    During the weekend the Liberator went to the beauty shop, 1st kind of black primer (Revell Black gloss)

• Profile Photo
    Yann Bertholet said 2 years, 10 months ago:

And eventually the final coat with some parts added such as antenna's, tail's bumper and pitot tubes.

Next steps: Klir coats and starting decals. I hope I can post the result next weekend. Have a nice Sunday