Hasegawa 1/72 B-24J Liberator

Started by Yann Bertholet · 99 · 2 years ago · 1/72, B-24, Hasegawa
  • Profile Photo
    Yann Bertholet said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks Spiros @fiveten. You won your bet! I will post pictures later this am

• Profile Photo

Thanks John @john. I usually do the same, but it's crazy when I'm about to cross the finish line I'm always rushing the work and now we see the results.. Hopefully not to much noticeable.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks George @gblair. Hey the post-it trick is a good one, never tried. I will keep this in mind for the next project.

• Profile Photo

Thanks a lot Erik @airbum. Actually my fingers were shacking, but I kept my toes cross.

• Profile Photo

Results from yesterday: Decaling completed. I was really pleased with the quality of the decals. Despite the fact that they were 12 years old they slide very smoothly on the model.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Looking fabulous decalled, my friend @yann!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Coming along real nice, Yann.
    Looking forward to the final steps.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Yann just finished reading your build report. Very nice work on prepping the model before applying the bare metal finish. The B-24 is not an easy task in any scale and producer. I don't think the Monogram kit has a separate nose section. Or the old Revell 72nd kit either. But Academy has the same approach with the separate nose for each version. But molded in grey plastic not clear. As Spiros pointed out, not easy to clean if the fit is not perfect. Good idea with the match sticks as temporary landing struts, at least you know to this point she stands on her feet nose down. Looking forward to the finish.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 10 months ago:

All the work is certainly worth it in the end, Yann (@yann). I too sometimes rush the end, but I always worry about making a mistake at the end that is hard to fix. I don't see anything wrong with yours, though. Good job.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks Spiros @fiveten.

• Profile Photo

Thanks a lot John. I'm also waiting to cross the finish line!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Chuck @uscusn. I fully agree with you it's not an easy kit! I my small experience of modeler, this build is one of most difficult I encountered.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George @gblair. So far so good, but still some details to add, finger crossed until the end.

• Profile Photo

Hello guys, I did not show up for a wile, but now I'm back with some progress. One week ago I fixed the landing gear which went quite smoothly.

Then fixed the ball turret, easy stuff except for the guns. Weird way to get them glued on the turret...

And eventually it was time to get some power on this Lady. Let's go for the engines. I started by the exhaust. I tried to get a color close to the rusty burnt iron, not sure I succeeded. When fixing them they were looking strange like they where hanging on the nacelle. I checked on google and actually they like this.

I continued with the radial engine. mix paint of silver and anthracite

Finally fixing the propellers.

After reading the progress from Chuck @uscusn (btw very interesting report and great build) I realized that I completely forgot the waist gunner movable windows.

If anybody has an idea how to get those baby in their position without too much 'mambo jambo' I will appreciate.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Very nice progress, Yann @yann.
    To me those exhausts color looks perfect.
    How about using a small piece of patafix on a stick to get those doors in place.