Hasegawa "'Pearl Harbor Attack Part 2" 1/48 A6M2/B5N2/D3A1

Started by Keith · 130 · 4 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Keith said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Finally got around to working on this kit over the past couple of weeks.

The fit was not terrible, but I do wish the cockpit had a bit more detail. Additionally, there are a few unsightly injection spots which I decided not to fix. They were nestled within tight spots.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

The terrible fit is not noticeable, Keith @greenterrorz
    Your interior looks amazing and sufficiently detailed to me.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Cockpit looks great, my friend @greenterrorz!

• Profile Photo
    Keith said 9 months ago:

Got a good amount done on the Kate over the past few weeks. The fuselage presented quite a few fitting issues. I did the best I could to hide the seem lines and repair the details that got sanded away.

As you can see below, I have completed majority of the paint for the fuselage. The last bit to paint will be the engine cowl. It will need to set for a few days before I can mask and paint that part.

The engine was detailed a decent amount, but I decided to add jewelry wire to enhance the realism.

Lastly, the torpedo provided with the kit did not have the wooden frame around the torpedo prop. I decided to make one out of balsa wood. I attempted to match it as closely as possible to the real thing.

Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months ago:

Excellent progress, my friend @greenterrorz!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months ago:

Beautiful paintwork, Keith @greenterrorz
    The torpedo looks very nice as well.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 9 months ago:

Lots of progress, Keith (@greenterrorz). Interior came out well, and looks suitably busy. Nice paint work on the exterior.

• Profile Photo
    Keith said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

Thank you all for the kind words.

I was able to get the engine cowl painted last night. The cowl itself is currently pressure fit into place. I plan on having it removable so I can display the plane with the engine showing if I wish.

These photos were with my phone rather than my camera. Please excuse the lower quality.

Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

This is a limited edition I was not aware of… in fact I believe I’ve seen something like this but in 1/72 (?)
    Anyway it’s a great combo edition for sure, and the your Nate is coming along nicely, especially the camouflage, looks great

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

Great idea to press-fit the cowling, my friend @greenterrorz! Overall looks are excellent!

• Profile Photo
    Keith said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Finally finished up the B5N2 Kate.

Overall the build was fun. The major hurdle was issues with the decals. The #22 on the bottom on the wings had major silvering issues even with a heavy layer of high gloss varnish under it. In an attempt to remedy the silvering; I softened the decal too far. This unfortunately lead to rips/tears in the decal. I had to go back in with my airbrush and paint in the missing sections of the 22.

I will post a article about the build in a few weeks. I'm anticipating a new macro camera lens arriving within a week that I wanted to play around with.

After this kit, I am spending a bit of time on the Tamiya 1/350 Mogami aircraft carrying cruiser. Once that build is good and underway, I will start on the D3A1 Val.

Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Congratulations, came out wonderful, my friend @greenterrorz! You tackled the decal issues excellently. Looking forward to seeing her at the headlines, as well as to your next builds!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Beautiful looking Kate, Keith @greenterrorz
    Good save on the 22.

• Profile Photo
    Keith said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thank you @fiveten and @johnb. I will do a white background for the article photos.

• Profile Photo
    Keith said 6 months, 1 week ago:

Small update -

Building a base for all 3 planes to sit on. It’s a 1:48 replica of the IJN carrier Hiryu deck. It’s roughly 24”x36”. Hoping to have it complete this weekend.

Also a few shots of the Kate with my new macro lens -