Hawk 75

Started by Carl Smoot · 31 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 3 years, 3 months ago:

I've debated with myself whether or not to place this up. There are so many fine models here and this is potentially my first completed model since 2002. Oh, I've started numerous kits in the last several years, but they always end up on the shelf of doom. I determined that a big reason for this was that my modeling area was just plain inconvenient to use. So a few months ago, I made some new purchases, made some changes in the layout, and reorganized. I made it easier to airbrush, and easier to keep things out of the way of the building area. And some new places to store supplies and tools. And finally, I added more paints so I wouldn't have to wait so long (by having to order paint) to get something accomplished. All of this has resulted in an uptick in productivity and desire to keep working on the models. This Hawk 75 is by far the closest I've come so far.

First, a little about the kit. I've wanted to build the Hawk 75 with fixed gear for a long time. This original desire was inspired by a photo a the highly polished example presented to General Chenault in China (at least I think that's how that story goes). Anyway, I knew of the HobbyCraft 1/48 kit but for a long time could not acquire one.

This was finally rectified in 2019, but I still was dissatisfied with the inaccuracies in the kit, especially the cowling. So it sat in my stash for about a year.

I was discussing the kit with a fellow builder, trying to determine how the cowling might be corrected and we hit upon the idea of using the Monogram B-17 cowling which looked to be close in shape and size. I acquired a sprue trees of the B-17 kit and found that the cowling was close in size but would still need some modifications.

Rather than cover the entire build in one post, I'll post bits of it along with the few photos I have. I'll try to explain what I did along the way. One final caveat. I have not researched this aircraft much and I am more interested in polishing my skills than in complete accuracy. So there will be some parts of this build that some may find less than ideal. I make no apologies for that as I need to get my mojo active enough to keep going and I want to get better at building and finishing the kits. Accuracy and going overboard on detailing was what caused me to drop out of this hobby back in 2009 after several unsuccessful builds (Monogram F-100 and Trumpeter P-38). I don't want to fall into that trap again. So accuracy can come later when I get my skills to a level I feel is worthy. I'll post some pictures in a few minutes.

• Profile Photo

Here is the preliminary work that determined that the B-17 cowling would work.

• Profile Photo

Modifying the cowling. Cowling on the right is the B-17 cowling. Center one is the Hobbycraft part. Left is my first attempt.

• Profile Photo

Working on fitting the cowling and correcting some other inaccuracies (at least I thought they were inaccurate). At the time, I was convinced that the cowling was less oval than my first attempt and I made a second one that was less oval. It's the one I ended up using on the kit, however, I now feel that my first attempt might have been more accurate. Oh well.

• Profile Photo

I purchased the AML resin and PE aftermarket cockpit for the P-36 and used this instead of the kit cockpit. The engine came from the B-17 kit. It was detailed up a bit. The cowling flaps were filled in. The kit fuselage needed some work to clean up vent details.

Have to go to work now, but I will post more later.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

For a build where you did not want to go overboard on details it is very detailed if I may say so. Very nice mojorestoring build Carl (@clipperboat)!

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 3 months ago:

As a big fan of this aeroplane, waiting to see what you do with this. True, nobody has the cowl shape right. I did a 1/32 but the shape still looks off. A new line of P-36/Hawk 75 is badly needed. Dora Wings?

• Profile Photo

I can post another update, but then need to return to work. First off thanks Erik and Bill. I appreciate the follow up on my posts.

After getting the cowling attached, I had to blend it into the fuselage. There sees to be quite a few variations on this as regards to drawings. This looks close to right, however, I think perhaps it extends forward a bit too much. Basically I attached the modified B-17 cowling to the existing fuselage extension from the kit. Then using paper, I created templates for the part to blend the cowling into the fuselage. This took a few trials and errors before I got close. Then I transferred this to thin sheet styrene and gradually glued it into place using Tamiya Extra Thin cement. I had to use some magic sculp on the bottom to get it all faired in as well as some small amounts of Tamiya putty.

As you can see, I think the cowling is a bit off compared to my previous attempt (which was a bit more oval). But it still looks okay. Next time perhaps I'll get it closer to the correct shape.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Bill (@billkoppos), Clear Prop! (related Modelsvit/DoraWings group) has a fixed gear Hawk 75 set to release some time in the next year.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/clear-prop-cp4803-h-75n-hawk--1320037

To Carl (@clipperboat), I hope this doesn't detract from the solid work you've got going so far. I'd really like to see what comes of your build! Funny you took a B-17 cowling.. one of my Curtiss builds I yanked a radial from my old B-17. 😉

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Great effort at bringing this kit to life! I'm following to see where this leads...!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Carl @clipperboat, what a wonderful entry! I just love your effort to modify the B-17 cowlings!
    I can sense your Hawk will be a super build.
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 3 months ago:

This is very interesting, Carl.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Andrew, Spiros, Greg, and John.

Here the wings are getting attached along with the horizontal stabilizers and flight controls. Nothing fancy here. Fit was good at the wing roots. A small amount of MrSurfacer 500 and an alcohol wipe took care of them. Looks fairly balanced here which gave me the confidence to move on with the build.

• Profile Photo

Then the gear was added. Looks a bit weird in some of these photos. I almost quit building at this point, but decided to keep going. Wheels (not wheel pants) are aftermarket resin, I think True Details.

• Profile Photo

It was a few weeks after this point that I finally got around to starting the paint process. I used the black basing approach. Colors are my best guess and may be completely off the mark. The scheme is the Thai Air Force version. I know from reading that the scheme applied at the Thai Museum is completely fictitious and as mentioned earlier, I am more interested in practicing skills than in absolute accuracy. The last picture is where it's at as of today. Markings and tail were masked and painted.