Hawker Hurricane Mk.1, RAF, GiNA,1/48th, Airfix

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 73 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks Pedro, the interior takes up most of the build time. But once the fuselage and wings are assembled, the rest of the build will proceed a bit more rapidly.
    Erik, a bit more bits and some seam work, hopefully ready for paint soon.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

That's an amazing quality progress, Chuck @uscusn!
    This cockpit really takes so much effort, your result being great!
    As usual, an excellent detailed presentation!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks Spiros, Airfix and a bit of help with the Eduard's PE does liven up the cockpit a bit. I will display this with the cockpit opened.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Awesome, Chuck @uscusn. Things look like they are moving quickly now and it will be ready for paint soon. In the photos it looks like some of the parts were a little warped, but many kit problems can be cured with a little putty, glue, and clamps.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 10 months ago:

George, the wings were ok, no warpage, though our dear friend Louis did point out that on his build of his Airfix Hurricane, that the forward wing spars were a bit wide and would not allow the upper and lower front edge to meet properly. So with that bit of intelligence, I went over the area where the lower inner panel rests and sanded that down a bit, and that solved any issue. The wings went together ok.

Now a bit more to work on the lower fuselage front and rear. Starting at the bottom of the nose.

The front lower nose panel insert is attached. Good fit here, this kit is really a Sea Hurricane, but has all the parts for the Mk.1 base aircraft. I could not find any Airfix Mk.1 kits so opted with this version that retained the original base parts. Thus the lower front insert that is used for the Mk.1.

Next the rear lower panel is attached in place under the rear fuselage, just aft of the wing to fuselage join. Again, the Sea Hurricane part has the arresting hook bay, whereas the base mk.1 has just the tail wheel. The fit is generally good, just a very easy to clean up gap at the trailing edge of the wing. Each side of the panel fit is very good,..

A nice feature are separate ailerons provided in the kit. An opportunity for a modeler to pose them. I chose to leave them in a neutral position. Good fit here as well.

Airfix also shows how to pose them in several settings in case you wish to use this feature.

As I progress more into this kit, I really am pleased with the nice features Airfix provides for the modeler and yet not over engineered.

]

Before starting work on the tail, just a bit of filler is used on the top seam over the nose and behind the cockpit seam. Underneath, the wing to nose and fuselage join.

Letting the putty set, I started work on the horizontal stabs and rudder.

Starting with the horizontal tail. Each stab is in lower and upper halves and assemble with no issues.

Each stab is attached to the tail, again good fit here as well.

The fit is tight but not to the point to fight them being inserted into the slots. Which also insures being level once the cement sets. Right next to the front edge of the rudder, where the stabs are inserted into the fuselage, there are a couple of sink holes that need to be filled. Only unusual discrepancy on the fuselage, or the whole kit to this point.

The elevators are one piece. Which is separate from the stabs. You can also pose this as well, and in this case I will pose it in the down position.

Very delicate piece so be careful removing it from the sprue tree. Place the elevators hinge point to the tail, and the end cap fits over this to sandwich the elevator to the fuselage while placing a bit of cement to where it meets with the stabs on both sides.

Finally the rudder is place over the end cap, and will be in the right turn position.

This will give a bit of character, as if the Hurricane doesn't already have it, while parked.

Next up details under the air frame, more to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Chuck, ain't that just the beauty of this site - getting tips and tricks and info from fellow modelers, like the info on the mainspar you mention. Anyway @uscusn, yet another great update, I like the positioned control surfaces.

• Profile Photo

Eric, yes that is so cool with a heads up. Those reviews come in handy just like I hope this helps to the modeler who has this kit and is put off with all that framework to start off the build.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 10 months ago:

I am always amazed at how fast things go after you finish the interior. Parts breakdown allows Airfix to make multiple versions by simply adding different parts to the kit. I love kits with really positive attachment points that keep things in place while the glue dries.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

That's a fantastic progress and an equally fantastic pic tutorial, Chuck @uscusn!
    Feels like I myself building it, thanks to your extensive, thorough and pleasant altogether build thread.

• Profile Photo

Yes George most kits of WWII fighters normally do. The new Airfix are a bit more detailed but not over engineered like some Trumpeters and Kitty Hawk kits which can really be complicated which really unnecessary.
    Spiros, thanks I am glad you are enjoying this.
    Now to assemble what is down under. Starting with the radiator.

The radiator has both front and rear views of the radiator within the housing. The radiator can be viewed from the front and rear openings of the housing.

The rear view is installed into the housing. Then the assembly is attached to the center portion of the wing.

The interior is painted Vallejo Aluminum.

Next the radiator rear actuating door that opens closes to increase of decrease air flow into the radiator housing.

The 2 actuators and door are place within the housing, good fit here. The arms are really delicate and small. Patience not to break them off the sprue and worse losing them to the carpet monster. Despite looking fiddly, the fit is quite good and very little hassle to place each arm in place then place the door at each contact point.

Next the front scoop. Now the instruction sheet is for the navalized version of the Hurricane and shows the step to remove the section of the forward part of the wing to place the larger scoop and panel. So I didn't have to cut anything for the base Hurricane Mk.1 scoop, which is in the kit. So simply placed in place under the wing just forward of the main gear bay.

The radiator scoop fits well as it is place on the radiator housing.

Finally the gun sight is placed on the dash panel coaming.

More to follow...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

I really like the way they cast the gun sight with no ugly seam down the middle!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Nice progress, Chuck @uscusn.
    I like the radiator front and rear meshes. Not always both are provided.
    Agree with @airbum about the gunsight.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Eric, and crystal clear too and easy to attach on the cowl panel.
    Thanks Spiros, similar aircraft like the Mustang and others also have a similar radiator scoop under the airframe which some only provide the face of the radiator. Airfix has well detailed parts which you can see even with the front scoop attached.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Getting close to putting on the paint. Looks great, Chuck. (@uscusn).

• Profile Photo

Thanks George, yes finally getting there. And it was a nice kit to work on. By reading the build reviews from reliable credible builders prior helps to achieve an excellent model.
    This step I will start with the prop.

3 pieces, the backing plate, prop hub spindle and cover. Are carefully assemble to allow the prop to spin. Airfix uses the older technique compared to Tam's and Hasegawa's poly cap method with the props. But the design is simple and will allow the prop to spin.

Next to insert the hub assy into nose of the fuselage. Again good fit.

The blade is 1 piece and is sandwiched between the spinner and backing. The 3 parts are black and will be installed later after the painting/decal process.

Now time to attach the windscreen. Airfix provide two canopies, one to display closed the other to have it in the open position.

The clear parts are quite clear. Just be careful in removing from the sprue. The windscreen first is placed in postion and using thin cement applied at the contact point.

I will display the Hurricane with an open canopy. The Hase Hurricane I have on the shelf did have the option to display open.

Using Eduard's masks to mask off the clear panels. Windscreen and canopy. Process takes about 30 minutes.

Once the masking is done, now to mix up some RAF interior Grey/Green to paint the exposed glass framing.
    Now to preshade the undersurfaces and the metal portions of the upper surfaces using Nato Black.

Next up to the paint booth...more to follow