Hawker Hurricane Mk.1, RAF, GiNA,1/48th, Airfix

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 73 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Good work all round Chuck! I noticed a couple of symmetrical mould holes near the horizontal stabs joint. Airfix seems to have those in every kit (I remember a couple in my Defiant). I usually use Mr.Surface 500, applied a drop directly over the hole and after it dries I sweep the excess with a slightly soaked in alcohol cloth. No scratch markings and those nasty things go away permanently

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks Pedro, great tip. I have been meaning to pick some of that up seeing several other builders use it to great advantage. Have it on the list for the next supply run.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Chuck! This is a great job, a joy to read and follow along.
    Waiting to take "us" to your paint shop!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Spiro's your wish is granted.
    1st will paint the undersurfaces RAF Sky. Using Aeromaster Warbird acrylic.

The paint covered the surfaces very well.

Once the Sky was set, next is the top surface camo scheme of RAF Dk Earth and Dk Green. This scheme will employ the type "B" scheme.

Using Gunze Dk Earth and Tamiya Dk Green to apply the tutone top scheme.

Then the clear coat is applied and will let it sit overnight to apply the decals.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks for the tour of the paintshop! Looking forward to the decals now that you are in the zone.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

That's fantastic Chuck @uscusn!
    Paintshop magic it is. Those acrylics (supposing that Tamiya green is acrylic too), including clear coating, look spectacular.
    Gina looks amazing already!
    As my friend @airbum stated, thanks for your paintshop tour.
    Waiting for the decals!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Wow, Chuck (@uscusn). All those parts at the start have all built up into a nice kit. Paint really ties everything together. Looking forward to the decals.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Eric lot of decal work lately.
    Thanks Spiros, yes Tam is acrylic as well. It's nice to have good paint to lay the 2nd scheme freehanded without clogging and minimum spatter. Makes those soft edges much easier to apply.
    Thanks George, it does tie everything in at the end.

• Profile Photo

Decals are from Avieology. Excellent set for BoB Hurricanes. What is nice is a bit research done by this team of decal makers. Ever since I built the commemorative scheme Eurofighter, I wanted to build the WWII fighter it was representing. At first i thought it was a Spitfire as some of the demo flights had Spits flying along. But as read up on the history, it turned out it was for a Hurricane in which flown by Flight Lieutenant James Nicolson who also awarded the Victoria Cross. None of the mainstream decal makers had these markings. So it would have been easy enough to cobble up the GNA codes, piece together the serial numbers. Then I ran across this set from Avieology.

Excellent thin and in register decals. That also includes several other Hurricanes to build in theatre.

And also and a recent addition to the set. The red devil marking which still is in question if it was actually on the aircraft. But there is no definitive answer yes or no. And if it was on the aircraft. 2 sizes are provided. I used the larger one of the 2.

After letting the Future clear coat set over night.

One of the early schemes that had roundels on both lower wings. The white was opaque and no bleed through of the surface color. Nice as some decal makers will have this decal in 2 parts.

Some stenciling are used under neath.

The decals are performing very well. Especially the stencils that are not silvering once they settle. Using the standard Micro scale decal system. No need for any Solvaset on the markings.

Over the top the roundels are first placed on the wings and both sides of the fuselage.

Avieology provides to sizes of squadron codes that may have appeared at the time of the BoB operation. Depending on the time period. Using other aircraft in the squadron as a reference in creating this scheme of Nicolson's Hurricane. I chose to use the smaller codes as the most likely to have been in use in this period of the battle.

I used the oversized Red Devil badge though I really believe if used it would be the smaller one. Modelers choice.

Again the stencils, serials and national markings performed very well. Very nice decals from Avieology.

Next up a bit of weathering.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Great decalling, Chuck. Those decals have snuggled down beautifully.

• Profile Photo

Looking splendid with the decals on! Turning the final corner in the race for final soon. . . standing by . . .

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, yes they did without much keeping after them, very nice to work with. Highly recommended.
    Thanks Eric, some weathering then the final details.

• Profile Photo

I will use Lifecolor Flat clear as the final finish.

First with the under surfaces. Which also seals the decals. No silvering detected.

This coating dries very quickly. Next to go over the top surfaces. Nice even coat and no "frosting" of the finish.

One of my favorite moments. Remove the maskings, carefully. Revealing nice sharp edges on the glass components.

Finally yellow tipping the prop, de mask and install it.

Next up the gear and detail bits.
    more to follow.

• Profile Photo

One of my favorite moments. Remove the maskings, carefully.
    Mine too!

That is a really nice plane you got there - strapped in for the finals!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Decals look great, Chuck (@uscusn). I love that moment when you have built the plane, done the painting and decals, and then have the flat coat pull everything together. It is always a real sense of accomplishment to have everything together so well. Great build.