Hawker Typhoon Mk1B 1/24

Started by Rob Pollock · 43 · 8 years ago · Airfix, Humbrol, RB Productions
  • Profile Photo
    William Alvin Hillocks said 8 years, 11 months ago:

Rob

Many Thanks for your prompt email,I take it "ali" is shorthand for aluminum. Up to now my RAF subjects have all had aircraft grey green on the inside and I am now getting used to the fact that isn't necessary always the case.I started the Typhoon coming off the back of the HK Models B17 and I normally do a smaller,simpler kit after having tackled the likes of that monster but theTyphoon kit sat on the shelf defying me to build it.It would be nice to see a 1/24 Tempest following in the wake of it's predecessor as I think the WW2 RAF is under-represented in big scale,however maybe I will make that the subject of a general gripe in the Forum

• Profile Photo

Hi Rob - my last question today (if you still have the instructions)- I promise. In stage 27 of the Typhoon there are two parts shown B24 and B26 . I'm not too sure what this assembly represents but I found B26 to be missing and emailed Airfix accordingly. Then a few minutes ago when painting on the D sprue a small part D41 fell off. This looks like the "missing" D26 mislabelled. Is this correct.?

Many Thanks
    Alvin

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 8 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Alvin, I'll dig out the booklet and have a look and get back to you.

• Profile Photo

Brilliant Rob,many Thanks

Alvin

• Profile Photo
    DE4EVER said 8 years, 11 months ago:

Greetings :
    Nice work there Rob. I will be following this one, I am planning on getting one.

• Profile Photo

Actually, a bit too late to 'follow' as such, as this was done last September, but you can review the final result in the Headlines posting mentioned in the above link at the bottom of page 2 of this thread.

• Profile Photo

Alvin, B24 & B26 are the two halves of the throttle unit, cockpit port side.

On page 15, step 68, D26 mates with D24 as an inlet pipe unit. It's shown complete and installed in step 69 (in red).

On page 23, step 145, D41 is shown as part of the rear wheel unit base, together with plate adjacent; the wheel on its axle fits on to D41 in step 198 on page 32 (check option detail in the step as to whether or not you're fixing the rear wheel retracted or down).

Also, your version may have since been corrected, but part C41 in my instructions was without a home. It sits on top the engine. Airfix issued a corrective on their site at the time, and in one of the earlier replies in this thread Brett kindly located the information for me, and also the corrected diagram.

Re earlier query about well colour, you can check back through WIP photos and there are in fact a few that show the well detail and colour. Apologies, I had forgotten they were listed, or I would have directed you to them before.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks once again for your help Rob,it,looks like interest in your build report is growing

Alvin

• Profile Photo

Hi Rob
    Just had a quick check of my instructions and i think there is a bit of a difference between the ones I have and yours.In step 198, just to confuse. There is no reference to part D41 in step 198 in my instructions with just D40.42,48 and 47 and it looks complete.I made a mistake when I referred to the missing part as D26 at the end of my post,I definitely have that as part of step 68. The part D41 definitely looks like the missing B26 and fits B24 perfectly.

Thanks again

Alvin

• Profile Photo

OK. I think I mentioned that I had one or the earliest releases, errors and all. Sounds as if Airfix might have revamped the whole document. In any case, the descriptions I gave are accurate as sprue pieces, even though the alpha-numeric tags might have changed.

Re this WIP thread, yes it seems to have grown new 'legs'...

• Profile Photo

Hi Rob Its been a few days since I pestered you about the Typhoon,This time its the cannon. You may remember that each wing has it's own distinct pair of cannon with parts F50 to the left and F51 to the right wing. Within each pair i have found that there is a slight difference with the slot underneath that fits onto a locating tab in the cannon bay.The slot is approx 25mm long but on one of each left and right wing cannon the slot has a little spacer about 7mm from the back end of the cannon. There are 4 different assembly diagrams 111 - 114 but nothing to say which of these cannon assemblies goes to the left or right of their respective wing. This isn't too easy to explain, does it make sense ? Many Thanks

Alvin.

• Profile Photo

Hi Alvin, I had a look through the booklet again and recognise the parts numbers etc, so at least your copy and mine match up.

Naturally, as my units are in place and the under-tabs now hidden, I can't see these fixing locations. It's possible that I looked at the diagram for cannon locations to ensure the barrels protruded through the wing ports correctly and simply made a trimming correction for the underside locating tab if it wasn't correct (by this time I'd seen a few similar issues arise so wasn't too fussed about such a correction.).

Broadly speaking, the port cannon have their feeds (the U-shaped arrangement moulded adjacent to each cannon drum) to the left of the barrels, and the starboard units are fed from the right. The ammo boxes (Steps 117-20) are placed adjacent the U-shaped feed in each case.

On the wing bed itself, the four small rectangular plates (two parallel rows) are the points of contact on which each ammo box is placed. In each case, port or starboard, there is a further part (F04 port, F03 starboard) that fixes behind the inboard of each cannon pair to the nearest structural members (steps 123 and 124, on my plan).

Not sure if this was what your query was about, exactly, but in terms of left/right placement, these are the details as I found them.

• Profile Photo

Rob

Once again many thanks for your helpful advice with this model, I am sure that I will have no problems with the cannon assembly and I intend to leave one of the bays open. I did have a problem with the assembly of the radiator and what I assume is the undertray between the back of the radiator and the lower wing. The distance between the back of the radiator and the end of the undertray measured Airfix's measurement of 30.7 mm but falls short of meeting the lower wing by about 2mm and will need filled at some stage. I don't know if this will affect the fit of the lower panels should I choose to fit them but that has been the only major issue so far.

Many Thanks
    Alvin