Hellcat Mk 2.

Started by Simon Whitney · 33 · 10 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 2 months ago:

It`s a lovely little kit to build Jaime, the first Eduard I have built and I will buy more of them if my good wife allows me.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Looks really good Simon. I look forward to seeing it in headlines 🙂

• Profile Photo

Nearly there Matt. As I said, a bit more painting and then the decals.
    Looking forward to your Lanc.

Cheers Simon.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Gregor, I hope to have it finished soon. It all depends on what gets in the way.
    Simon.

• Profile Photo

Well a bit more done.
    A touch up on the undersides after a boo boo, a bit of over spray after painting the wheel bays.
    Also the lights fixed and painted and some pre weathering on the wings and exhaust areas.
    Hope to get a few more bits done tonight in readiness for gloss varnishing and decalling.
    And before anyone asks, the engine cowling was just taped on for painting the camoflague.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great work there Simon - keep it going 🙂

• Profile Photo

Well another quick update.
    Decals on but a cocked up one on the starboard side, and with no replacements will have to cover it with a scrape or something. They were a bit flimsy but they held together.
    Engine and cowling added, and now ready for satin varnisn probably two coats then a bit of weathering.
    I may get it finished this weekend.

Simon.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Joe Caputo said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Simon, you're an inspiration ! I must get back to work on mine ! Odd, two Hellcats between us, and neither finished in USN blue... Yours is looking great ! I can't wait until it's complete. I just may have to do another Brit markings...

• Profile Photo

Cheers Joe, It`s people like you that give me the inspiration to keep going.

• Profile Photo

Nice work Simon. Hope to see it in headlines soon 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thank you Gregor, I hope to get some more done over the weekend.
    The wheels and drop tank are all built and ready to go .
    It will be the fine work of weathering and picking out some more details.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Wilsford said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Impressive Simon. I am liking what I see. I need one for my display.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Paul, it has been a learning curve and a half but I have enjoyed it tremendously.
    I still have a lot to learn but hopefully by following what is going on here and on another site, I will be able to improve and produce some better builds.

• Profile Photo

I am nearly done now.
    After a coat of Vallejo Satin varnish, which I can highly recommend, the rest of it coming together. A bit of scratch building to replace the tail light that has dissappeared and the arrester hook to add on the undersides also the pitot on the port wing I think?
    On the topside , the gunsight and canopy, plus the radio aerial and finally the prop.
    A little detail painting and tahat should wrapp it up.
    Next posting will be in the Headlines .

Simon.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I know you consider yourself a "newby" but your doing an outstanding job here. I admire the fact that you work through your problems.
    I know your using Vallejo & Tamiya paints but what brand did you use for the topside.
    I was lucky enough to win a pull kit myself. Just need to get myself focused & stop putting other kits in front of it.
    Keep up the good work