Academy 1/48 F-16C, Hellenic Air Force

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 264 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Academy, F-16, Hellenic Air Force
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks, my friend @johnb!
    Yes, you are right!
    Just cannot let some "screaming" issues left "as is"

• Profile Photo
    Erik GjΓΈrup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Take a brake. . . - nice add-on.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Similar to what I had to do on the Chilean bird - looks great! Luckily for me, the Hasegawa kit included the packed chute, so I didn't have to mess with tissue! Keep up the good work...

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends @airbum and @gkittinger!

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 3 years, 2 months ago:

In nearly 30 years of modeling, I have never built a Falcon. You progress well here, but I think if I ever build one, I will go for a different kit. πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friend @pikofix!
    Yep, the Academy kit is a "legalized copy" clone of the venerable Hasegawa kit, which is not bad, but has its weak spots, one of them being the intake, which is far from "seamless". I believe the Tamiya kit is very nice (double price - seemingly double quality!). I have to make one someday πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo
    Yann Bertholet said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Hello Spiros, your filling and sanding work is just perfect, I wish to achieve this kind of work but somehow, the gaps are never filled up completely and can still be seen after painting. I'm enjoying watching your project.

• Profile Photo

Hi @yann!

Those stubborn gaps are firstly coarse sanded (320 or even 220 grit - just be brave and attack the beast! πŸ™‚ ). When the surfaces are even, ie no bumps, I apply liquefied styrene at the big gaps. Upon curing, I resand again with 220 or 320 grit, then I apply putty and sand with 400, proceeding to 1000 or 1500 grit. I admit that some detail might at cases be lost, but one can rescribe, if he so wishes (I usually don't πŸ™‚ ).

Thanks for liking my project, my friend!

P.S. Your Belgian AF F-16 solo displays aerobatics are AMAZING! I had the chance to watch, quite a few times, up, close and personal, your F-16s performing amazing maneuvers during air shows that took place in my Base (114CW, Tanagra AFB). Your pilots pushed their F-16s to the limits! Those were some great pilots! What an event!

Greetings from Greece!

• Profile Photo
    Yann Bertholet said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Hi Spiros , thanks a lot for the hints, I will apply this method for the next projects. Oh yeah 'Vador' the Belgian solo display pilot is pulling a lot of G's. I had the chance to admire his performance in Florennes few years back, IT WAS AWESOME! I was just looking if there were planning to make to repaint a new scheme for the solo display and I found this picture, she looks very nice as well.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Wow, this is an amazing scheme, my friend @yann, one of the most beautiful I've ever seen!
    Thanks for sharing this!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

@yann, this Belgian scheme is, like the Greek as well, a real work of art.
    @spiros, a couple of years ago also the Dutch had a, to my impression, great scheme as well. Representing the Dutch lion.
    Would be great to see an entire set of F16's in all these awesome schemes.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Yep, that beloved Dutch scheme is well known to me, as it was a frequent visitor during airshows, my friend @johnb!
    The Dutch team had a minivan painted likewise, too!
    All the team were really nice people!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 1 month ago:

There are a bunch of really great paint schemes for the F-16, so I can't wait for your choice on this model (@fiveten). The Hellenic Air Force has some great special schemes for the -16, but the standard scheme looks great as well.

• Profile Photo

This is going to be built for a good colleague of mine, my friend @gblair; kind of a commission build, but in a children's manner, as we (sadly, according to my wife...), have remained "children", though we are over 50: we exchange goodies (he'll get the Falcon, I'll get a used bicycle - a fair trade, or what? πŸ™‚ ).

To make a long story short, he wanted the standard ghost scheme, when " new", very early 90s, meaning no "rubberish" paint. He wants no ordnance, just tanks and pylons (I am also a non-ordnance guy...). Yep, even the plain ghost scheme is nice!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 1 month ago:

I hope it is a really good bicycle to match the quality of your build, Spiros (@fiveten).