Heller 1/72 Nord Noratlas, Hellenic Air Force, Operation VICTORY (Επιχείρηση ΝΙΚΗ), July 1974

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 32 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Hellenic Air Force, Heller, Noratlas, Operation VICTORY (Επιχείρηση ΝΙΚΗ)
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Hi everyone!

After admiring Tasos Tzigkounakis @t-tasos amazing Noratlas build yesterday... (https://imodeler.com/2020/12/1-72-heller-noratlas/)

...temptation started to rise for building my stashed kit. Tasos was kindly offered to provide me with any info I need (and I definitely will ask him for! - thanks again, Τάσο!) and Neil Foster @neil-foster encouraged me to start mine.

So, yesterday night I grabbed it out and started putting it together.

I intend to finish it as a Hellenic Air Force bird 52-133 “Νίκη 4”.

This plane took part in operation Νίκη (Victory), the code name given to a secret military mission of Greece on the 21st to the 22nd of July 1974 to Cyprus for the purpose of transporting paratroopers to the airport of Nicosia. The mission was partially successful and was described by the international press as a “suicide mission”.

52-133 was accidentally shot down by friendly fire, outside Nicosia airport, all but one perished.

It is a sad story.

My build will be a tribute to those brave men.

The Heller kit first appeared in 1978. It is an old school kit with raised panel lines and quite many rivets.

Mine is a 1996 rebox.

Parts look generally ok with not a lot of flash, but heavily warped, especially the larger ones, so I am prepared for quite a bit of twistin upon putting it together.

Clear parts look ok too, ifnot a bit on the thick side, but they are excused for a 1978 kit!

Decals thankfully look ok too (I will use some stencils...), not plagued by the usual Heller/Airfix color offseting of that era.

Instructions are provided in 2 two-sided printed A3 leaflets and are adequate and clear.

This is definitely not the easiest kit to put together...

So, here we go!

Warped parts triumph!

I first glued the six piece wing and laid it rest flat for the glue to start curing. Next I assembled the two piece booms (sans the fins) and the two piece horizontal stabilizer.

With the glue still curing (meaning the joints being still workable), I attached the above subassemblies together:

Fit of all above was bad towards awful, requiring a lot of twisting, bending and repositioning.

Thankfully, the Heller styrene is soft and workable (but this means that the landing gear might be prone to sagging with time, under the heavy finished model...).

Finally, I managed to have a reasonably aligned wing/boom/tail assembly!

As you can see, the front part of the booms is still unglued:

this is due to heavy warping!

I decided to do an all-doors closed model, as it is much easier and I also like the cleaner looks, inasmuch as I like to adore the nicely detailed open cabins and cargo areas...

So, I glued all 3 fuselage doors shut, then glued the 26 small windows from the inside of the fuselage halves, attached the cockpit floor, front wheel well and the two bulkheads at the starboard fuselage half.

Since the finished model will be tail heavy, I stuffed two hefty fishing weights between the two rear cockpit bulkheads, secured with my sons modeling clay (sorry, no pics, as I was kind of lost in all this putting together excitement - paraphrasing Dirty Harry's quote!).

I then joined the two fuselage halves. The usual bad fit was experienced, with inner reinforcements and liquefied styrene being my allies.

Finally, the wing/boom/tail assembly was attached on the fuselage. The attachment area is flat and large, so, in order to have peace of mind, I used liquefied styrene as glue, which, moreover, oozed out of the offending expected gaps, acting as filler.

After microtrimmings produced an acceptably aligned assembly, I left everything to cure;

More to come, with a surprise painting!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Well geez Spiros you jumped right in on this kit. Basically have the whole airframe completed already. Rather unusual subject. This is going to be fun to watch. You really jump on a project when you get motivated. Your off to a good start.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Wow ! you really made a good start on this ,I'm looking forward to watching this come together.
    N.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends Chuck @uscusn and Neil @neil-foster!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

You most certainly jumped right in at the deep end my friend. Sign me up for the ride @fiveten!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friend @airbum! This kit had been residing in my stash for many (15?) years.
    After the motivational Tasos's build and Neil's comments, an inner voice, per the beloved and much missed "The King", told me: "It's now or never"!
    So, here it is!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

A good start, Spiros @fiveten
    That warping almost goes into another dimension.
    Will surely follow this thread to see how you tackle all these difficulties.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!
    This is going to be a liquefied styrene triumph!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Nice! Again- kinda making me wish I hadn't gotten rid of the one in my stash! But - cabinet space is limited, so... I'll just live vicariously through you and Tasos!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg @gkittinger!
    She is a beauty, but what a challenging kit!
    It has to be treated as a limited run one...
    And an update!

I attached the two piece rear cargo door, the one piece fin/finlets and the engine exhaust rings, at the front of the booms.
    Fit left a lot to be desired, so I used liquefied styrene as glue/gap filler.
    I glued the two piece wheels, too.
    Cheers!

• Profile Photo

Initial carving/shaping done!

Armed with my Excel knife and a...bastard file, I went on to carve and shape things, in order to have a coarse but solid contour. After removing a lot of excess styrene, my Noratlas looked a tad less crude...
    Here is the result, awaiting the initial coarse sanding, in order to a***s the situation!

I have to admit that the very soft and workable plastic was a real helper here...

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

That's some great progress, Spiros.
    No signs of warping, gaps and other imperfections.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John @johnb!
    The kit's soft, workable plastic and liquefied styrene helped a lot!
    Update is following...

• Profile Photo

Initial coarse sanding done

As mentioned above, the kit's soft styrene helped a lot the endless carving and shaping. The same applies with sanding. It was hard work and there's a lot more to be done. At least, the plastic is soft and workable. The windows were sanded flush, too, as they look much better. Of course, a lot of the raised detail is already lost.

Speaking of the raised details, they are a tad on the heavy side. I'll smooth sand whichever will remain, to make them look more scale.

Next will be the second round of coarse sanding, in order to address the missed areas during the first one.

Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten

I just noticed your build journal for this plane. It seems that you are off to a very good start ! This plane kind of reminds me of a C-119 "Boxcar"... they do seem to have a lot of similarities. Like the others have mentioned, count me in for watching this build too. I see that once again Liquefied Styrene has saved the day. That stuff is unbelievably handy, I just used some on the second Hasegawa Ki-61 spinner a few nights ago. Thank you again for telling me about it... 🙂