Heller 1/72 Nord Noratlas, Hellenic Air Force, Operation VICTORY (Επιχείρηση ΝΙΚΗ), July 1974

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 32 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Hellenic Air Force, Heller, Noratlas, Operation VICTORY (Επιχείρηση ΝΙΚΗ)
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks, my friend Louis @lgardner!
    I've built the Boxcar and they do look a lot alike!
    A side by side comparison, not only reagarding shape, but also specs, would be very interesting...

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Off to a good start Spiros, going well !

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks Allan @kalamazoo!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Yet another PFP fasttrack plane! Coming along nicely my friend (@fiveten).

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks, my friend @airbum! There were some alignment issues that arose, due to the complex shape, warped parts, soft styrene "sagging" at its own weight (outer wings area, for instance) and, as always, my goofings! Remedial actions were taken, not for the faint hearted, so I took no pics! (i was too involved int surgical ops as anyway...).
    More to come soon!

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Hey Spiros ! , I've been sorting my two main interest groups (FAA and IAF) into storage boxes together and came across my Noratlas, I was surprised to realise I built it in 2017 wow, where does the time go, I thought I built it last year ! anyhow it got me wondering how you were getting on with yours ? , I'd forgotten how big it is for the scale ,it takes up more or less a storage box on it's own.

• Profile Photo

Hi Neil @neil-foster! Here she is at the moment:

The wings sagged down, due to Heller's soft plastic, so I inserted a thick wire that interconnects the wings, extending about 1.5 inch after each engine's end, well into the outer wings parts. They hold themselves strong now!

I have given priority to a few ither projects this week, maybe next week I will deal with her.

Thanks for stopping by, my friend.

Have a happy New Year!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 4 months ago:

That’s moving right along, Spiros. Yours and Neil’s are the only two I’ve ever seen built.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years, 4 months ago:

I can't keep up with you, Spiros! Another strange bird and so far along! You are a machine!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friends @j-healy and @yellow10!

Apart from Neil's @neil-foster amazing Noratlas, Tasos Tzigkounakis built an equally amazing one, posted here recently:

1/72 HELLER NORATLAS
    I was amazed to check Tasos's Noratlas and, being only 1yo in iModeler, I hadn't checked Neil's one. I commented to Tasos build that I have the kit, intending to start it one day, then Neil motivated me...you know the story! Cannot say no to a friend's motivating comments! Then Tasos offered to help me: his skills and experience will be most helpful. Isn't modeling an amazing hobby? The Noratlas were amazing machines: I read that the booms are at 3 something degrees offset to compensate for the huge Hercules engines torque! I had no idea of that! I could go on, but i will stop! Have a Happy New Year everyone!
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 4 months ago:

I like what I’m seeing here Spiros. Not your usual build that’s for sure.
    And thank you for the liquid styrene info. Happy New Year to you!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Eric @eb801!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Great progress, Spiros @fiveten
    A great solution to hold those wings in place.
    Like this she should be able to hold her wings in place.
    Happy New Year to you and your family as well my friend.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friend @Johnb!

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 4 months ago:

looking good Spiros! Nice solution to the drooping wings.