High ”tediosity factor” on my new model

Started by Ralph Clements · 89 · 9 years ago · float plane, HE-115B
  • Profile Photo
    Ralph Clements said 9 years, 6 months ago:

thanks guys, I suspected this would be a 'different animal'
    On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being perfect, I give the fuselage halves assembly & fit a 7.5, maybe 8. You can't have the front canopy openings line up and the panel lines at the rear too, I think the two halves are slightly unequal length, I prioritized the cnopy openings since the clear panels have to fit in them, but still got them off a little bit. I have putty...

• Profile Photo

Ok for anyone considering trying this kit, I will say for a 1/48 plane, compared to a lot of them anyway, it is l-a-r-g-e...here is the fuselage with a 1/48 P-51 for scale. More work to go on the fuselage seams before pain time.

Also another example of its size, one wing compared to P-51

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Man that is a narrow fuselage for such a large aircraft. And yes, its gonna be BIG!

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Hello Ralph, you had made some progress, looking good so far. Not easy but you managed all the problems, thunbs up.
    Heinkel made some record attempts just before the war, it is very aerodynamic shaped even with the large floats.

All the Best

Bernd

• Profile Photo

Maybe I'll dub it 'the flying toothpick'...I think 'the flying pencil' was taken some time ago...

• Profile Photo

Motors, they're resin. The pushrods are added from bits of pencil lead, painted aluminum. I didn't know if you could paint pencil lead or not, but you can

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Ralph, I have never heard of using pencil lead as round stock. Now that I've seen it I get it, consistent size and shape etc. How do you cut it without breaking it?

• Profile Photo

Rick I use the trusty Ex-acto. Lay the lead flat, put finger tip on top of it each side of the cut - to keep it from flying off into the void. Its soft, really.

I could not find any wire to suit me and all I had would bend with cutting then could never be made really straight again.

The pencil was laying there right in front of me so I thought, why not?

• Profile Photo

As fine a "field expedient" solution as I've ever seen Ralph, Well Done. Certainly a technique to keep in the old "tool box". I'm pretty sure I'll never build an He-115, but I'm certainly enjoying following along with yours.

• Profile Photo

Ha! you may not want to Rick-
    Here's a pic of the spreader bar I had to put inside the wing (only one wing- that tells you something...) to make it open up enough to fit over the woefully tiny tabs on the fuselage it mounts too

Oh yea here's another tip for any would-be builders of this kit...get your shop-vac, whisk broom etc ready, there's going to be lots of shavings and dust, lots of whittling, sanding, filing and maybe some cussin' too going on when you get to trying to fit the big pieces together!

Oh but hey, the challenge is part of the fun, the plastic is soft and easy to work..

the pic is another indicator of the size -

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

taking shape - and doing the best I can to minimize, if not eliminate gaps at body joints. A messy operation
    maybe I can do some painting soon.
    these quick-n-dirty pictures are not too good, sorry

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Ralph, it certainly looks like you're making great progress. It looks like all your carving has paid off on the final assembly of the major parts, the joints look flawless.

• Profile Photo

Nice of you to say that, but I think it may have more to do with poorly focused, low resolution photography!

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Great progress Ralph, good work with the spreader bar in the wing, the pecil solution is great too, love it.
    Compared with your very nice Mustang, it s a monster. But a nicely shaped one !
    Keep up the good work my friend.

Best
    Bernd

• Profile Photo

Ralph, do you have the Oct issue (A-6A Intruder cover) on Model Airplane International? I purchased it because it has a build article on the SH He-115, which has helped me follow along with yours. Alan has encountered much the same challenges as you, but has mentioned some others that you haven't (yet), shape of the cowlings for one. If you haven't purchased this's issue it might be worth a look to see if it might be of help.