Hobby Boss 1:48 Scale, IAR-80 Romanian Fighter

Started by Frederick J Seitz III · 7 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years, 1 month ago:

While I am waiting for other projects to dry, or set, I started on this little kit. It's an interesting little fighter that actually acquitted itself well in aerial combat, in the hands of a skilled pilot. At the time of it's introduction, it rated equal to the Spitfire and Bf-109.

I find the kit to be generally decent. Fit is okay, and detail should be good enough for a closed up cockpit. I took a few pictures of the cockpit parts before sealing them up in the fuselage.

I'm not liking the soft detail on the outer surfaces, the panel lines being extremely light, and I could see these being filled up after a few coats of paint. Decals look think, but the ones for the instrument panel seems to react well to setting solutions, so that may be open to reassessment. Plastic seems soft too, but that helps the glue set better!

Anyway, I like it so far, it's a subject you won't don't see too often, and maybe now, there will be more of them.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Freddie, first one I've seen built, so far. Unusual aircraft, largely unknown outside the Eastern Front and Romania. First time I saw one was in an old RAF Flying Review. Defense of Ploesti, with (I recall) mixed results.
    Interior detailing doesn't look bad, like you, I'm just glad to see one. Better than the LTD shortrun. That would be an alternative source of decals, though the usual aftermarket providers will probably step up.

• Profile Photo

I hope so. Unfortunately, the LTD kit I have in the stash has no decals...and they had some cool choices too! I'll probably throw the dice, use the kit's decals so it really will be an "OOB" build! Kit does come with a small PE fret of belts and a small metal plate that is completely obnoxious... If you get the kit and build it, you'll see why. 😉

• Profile Photo

I made some really great progress on this little kit, which I am finding to be a pretty nice build. I know there are discrepencies in shape and what not that have been beaten to death on another website, but it still is proving to be a decent experience.

After the cockpit was installed, I glued the fuselage together. As I added the tail planes and the wings, they all lined up pretty well without too much adjustment. Nice, right? Not a ton on putty is needed either, another thing that makes me happy.

She's coming together quickly, and should be ready for paint within a week. Next is the engine and cowling, which also seem to be nicely detailed and should look pretty well.

Definitely a good little model, of a not so often seen subject, and I would recommend it.

Regards,
    Freddie from LI

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Very nice looking aircraft and good work on the cockpit. The more I look around this site the more I fear my stash will get bigger

• Profile Photo

Ha Ha George, that is an occupational hazard here!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Arrgh! Must-leave-wallet-in-pocket... Too many airplanes! No more! Eyahhh! Ah, nuts! This is different and unique and stuff.