Hobby Craft P-26

Started by Jim Harley · 27 · 4 years ago · Hobby Craft, P-26, Peashooter
  • Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 4 years, 6 months ago:

She's coming along..slow but sure. It will be a cool scheme...it's complicated but simple, if that makes any sense. Since deciding to toss most of the decals I've been doing a lot of measuring and taping. Tom Bebout pointed me out to some after market decals, so if this doesn't go well I'll be putting in an order. Once the black drys I'll blast it with another coat of clear and finish with the insignia decals.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Dude !
    You're rocking it. This era of aircraft is my favorite of all time. The Yellow Wings schemes were just so vivid and colorful... Good call on ditching the decals. It's more work, but you will be glad that you went this route.

This looks fantastic... Now I'm going to go look at my Hasegawa 1/32 scale kits that are big brothers to yours. I have two of them, and two of the 1/48 scale Hobby Craft kits like yours. This is such a cool plane...you can't settle for just one.

Who knows ? We might eventually just have to do a "Yellow Wings" Group Build sometime in the future...

• Profile Photo
    Erik GjΓΈrup said 4 years, 6 months ago:

That is some fine work with the painting and masking - really good call to drop the decals with this degree of paint! Well done.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Ditto on Erik's comments. Masking and painting these markings isn't a job for the timid, but the results speak for themselves. Decals might have made things easier, but I think putting the long decal stripes and other large decals on this model might have also been difficult.

• Profile Photo

I really appreciate the comments...I love to paint. When I got back in to this for some reason enamels and I no longer got along. I'm not sure why but it was getting really frustrating. I switched to Vallejo and that was even worse. Thank goodness for youtube πŸ™‚ Plasmo, Scale-a-Ton, and a few others really go at it with Tamiya and Gunze. While I haven't tried Gunze yet, I will as this adventure continues.

This decal sheet with this kit only supplies the top scallops for the horizontal. Years ago I did a ton of airbrushing with Frisket masking paper. Hobby Lobby carries it for about $6 with the coupon. I made a copy of the decal sheet on my printer and taped a small piece of the Frisket to the top. It's transparent so, using a new scalpel blade I cut the design from the Frisket and laid it out on the bottom of the stab. It needs a bit of touch up but not much. It's been a while since I've used this stuff and it's essential to keep the sticky side clean and burnish it down with a cotton swab. It won't do curved surfaces but for flat areas it really works the trick.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Looking good Jim. Regarding paints, when I got back into modelling I decided to stay away from the enamels and go with Acrylics. I'm currently using Vallejo and haven't had any real issues.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Beautiful!

• Profile Photo

@jamesb I initially tried Vallejo since they were readily available at Hobby Lobby. The primer and paint peeled off in sheets. lol, meh (I know it's something I did or didn't do). The P-26 is slowly getting there. I tried to use the Hobby Craft elevator scallops...because I didn't learn from the fuse decals πŸ™‚ ...and it went about as well as the others. So, I bit the bullet and ordered the Yellow-Wings decals. They came today so I put the few on, mostly the tiny stencils. Night and Day. I'm still going with Yellow 7 since I have some good reference photos of the actual airplane. The scallops are pretty close to the original but they go on like warm butter so I'm not going to be picky. The wheel spats are going together with a liberal amount of filler to the front seam and the flying wire fairings. The other fiddly bits like the cockpit door, crank case cover, rudder and elevator are all primed and painted. The rest of the fuselage decals should be done tomorrow and I can concentrate on the gear and the cowling. While I was waiting for the decals to show up I widened the white fuselage scallops to match the period photo, it just didn't look right, too skinny. In looking at the reference photos I noticed the blue from the rudder flag extends on to the vertical stab...so while I was waiting for the decals, I masked it off and sprayed the thin stripe. What's the old saying, the last 10% takes 90% of the time? πŸ™‚

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Your P-26 is really looking great. I have also had a problem with Vallejo paints and have moved on to other paints I really like, such as Tamiya and AK Real Color. I did have better success with Vallejo Model Air paints, but I really like others better. Like you, I figure it is something I am doing or not doing that causes my problems, but the others work much better. Looking forward to seeing the complete build.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Jim @jimh, I'd be willing to bet you had the same problem I had with my recent efforts working on an OLD Modelcraft mold. I sprayed the Vallejo Grey primer over it and a few Tamiya subjects. I started working on the Modelcraft plane and had the same problem, albeit it was within 24 hours. I've run some test pulls with tape on the Tamiya molds (after a week) and did not have any adverse affects. After reading a few different builds I believe the problem is the older plastics require an enamel based primer or a 'Specialized' Primer. Simoniz Acrylic Primer (a car spray-primer intended for plastic) or Rust-Oleum Plastic Primer appear to be the ticket. I purchased the later brand and will be testing out on another Airfix project that is not what is the norm in their injection molding kits.

Just food for thought.

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 4 years, 5 months ago:

A little more done...slow but sure. The horizontal decals aren't quite right...it's a mix between the actual airplane, the decal sheet instructions and my fudging it. The rudder and elevator deckals have taken a ton of micro sol but they are snuggling down nice. The fiddly bits are coming along and should be done tomorrow. It won't be perfect to the photo but it will be a nice representation of the era.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Jim, @jimh

Your P-26 has come a long way since the last time I checked in. You have definitely made some great progress. I especially like how the stabilizer scallops and rudder striping has turned out. The engine looks like it's a little jewel too. Your on the home stretch with the last 90 percent to go... πŸ™‚

Looks fantastic, and it will look even better parked next to your F2G.

James, @jamesb
    Thanks for posting what you said about the primer. I have experienced problems like that in the past with an old AMT kit. I made the mistake of not priming it, and when I removed the masking, most of the underlying paint came up with the tape.

I will definitely keep this little trick in mind for the next time I spray acrylics. This is the main reason I like my old school enamels. I've never had a problem with them.