Hobbycraft Avro CF-100 Canuck 1/48

Started by Morne Meyer · 225 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 2 months ago:

As a Modeler I am often looking for some inspiration to decide on my next build. Searching the web for aircraft photos, I came accross a photo of a F-102 Delta Dagger and a CF-100 Canuck flying in formation.

The CF-100 was the first all Canadian designed and built jet fighter that served in the RCAF and was also exported to Belgium. It was a very capable aircraft that had excellent handling capabilities, was a stable gun platform and was blessed with excellent range.

Digging through my stash I came accross the 'ancient' Hobbycraft 1/48 Canuck. The less I say about the kit the better! It lacks greatly in detail, has trenches for panel lines and needs tons of scratchbuilding to get it close to something worthwhile to display. Some aftermarket resin cockpit and landing gear sets and decals are available. Needless to say these are expensive. I have decided to buy aftermarket decals and embark on a scratchbuilding journey from here to eternity.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The Canuck has a large ventral airbrake. Since most photos show parked Canucks with an extended airbrake, I decided to carefully cut out the airbrake panel. I then constructed the interior of the airbrake using reference photos.

The undercarriage bays are devoid of any details so lots of scratchbuilt details were added using thin wire to replicate all the plumbing ( still a work in progress ), Evergreen styrene and Pewter foil. This area still needs more attention and will add some visual interest.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The tailcone of the Canuck ends in two tail mounted navigation lights. These lights are red and amber in colour. After gluing the tail sections, I removed the solid tailcone where the lights are located. The plan was to make the clear dome from solid clear sprue and to drill out the two lights. This was more difficult than anticipated. After a three hour long search through the stash I managed to unearth a clump of clear sprue large enough. I sanded it to shape, drilled out the lights, added a drop of Tamiya clear red and yellow to the lights and glued it in place.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The pitot tube is another piece crying out to be replaced on the Hobbycraft Canuck. It is too thick and of an incorrect shape. I replaced it with a hypodermic needle into which I inserted a piece of copper wire. The copper wire was filed flat on two sides and I added piece of styrene to the top to replicate the distinctive Canuck pitot tube.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

This is an astonishing work so far, Morne @mornem, on the ultra basic/simplistic Hobbycraft rendition of that beautiful and important plane.

I love your airbrake and pitot improvements. It, by definition, will be an excellent result, up to your usual standards.

I have built the same kit, some 15+ years ago; I basically put it together, used the off register kit decals, well, the end result looking toyish. I am trying to find an opportunity to revisit it. No intention to lower the airbrake, but some all-around micro detailing/improvements and new decals are in my mind. Your wonderful effort will for sure, be my inspiration!

Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Spiros for the nice comment and motivation to get this one done. The cockpit, undercarriage and wheel bays will need lots of scratchbuilt details. As you rightfully said this is a VERY basic kit. The landing gear and ejection seats are going to be my biggest challenge. However, I love a challenge! Maybe I am just a s****r for punishment.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Looking forward to this build, Morne.
    Current progress looks promissing.
    The Canuck is a great looking plane build by Avro Canada.
    Pretty sure that your scratchbuild journey eventually leads to a great looking Canuck.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Awesome progress - a bit late to the party, I'll be strapped in to follow this very interesting build Morne @mornem

• Profile Photo

Thanks John for the kind assessment of my progress with this challenging kit. My main concern is the landing gear that needs lots of detailing. The kit parts are best assigned to the dustbin. I am going to do my best to make it look appealing.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik. Always nice to have you along for this build. I will need the encouragement for sure!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Great subject, Morne. We never see these built. I’ll be following along closely.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John. Scratchbuilding is a therapeutic exercise. Lol

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Wow Morne, your CF-100 looks amazing already!
    I happen to have a couple of shots from the Hamilton Museum, if they help here they are.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Really nice work here. I once got to sit in a CF-100 up at the Abbotsford Air Show back in 1977 - it was still being used for ECM training. It's definitely an interesting plane.

I strongly suggest, from having done one of these long long ago myself, that you fill in the "Western Front" on the surface and rescribe. A long hard slog, but with everything else you are doing, worth it.

Rather than get a resin cockpit, just get a pair of MB Mk.2 seats - those are widely available in resin and not overpriced. The cockpit is black, so all you'll see are the seats anyway.

• Profile Photo

Hi George. Thank you very much for the photos. I will definitely make use of them!