Hobbycraft Avro CF-100 Canuck 1/48

Started by Morne Meyer · 225 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 2 months ago:

https://www.nfb.ca/film/canadas_air_defence/

The above film footage of CF-100 operations provide good insight into the daily operations of the CF-100 as an all-weather interceptor.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Nothing like a good old movie to show and tell - thanks for sharing Morne.

• Profile Photo

Good morning guys. Work has kept me pretty busy over the last two weeks so I did not have as much time at the bench as I had anticipated. I have managed to scratchbuild the retraction struts for the ventral airbrake. Fitment of the parts are near perfect. The airbrake fits perfectly and needs no glue to keep it in place. I have also trimmed the engine bay panels so that I can put them back on the kit if I want to close the engine. I have also completed the Jet intake covers. This will add a nice touch once painted in the yellow and blue Squadron colours.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Hi my friend @mornem! You might have been busy at work the last two weks, but what a re-entry you made! That airbrake and those FOD covers are amazing!

Your spotless job is heating my apetite to drag my totally offending built Canuck out of the showcase and refresh/improvise it a tad, not even close to your masterpiece, of course, just make it "viewable"...

In fact. I "allow" my two very young sons "have" it, peforming some flight testing, hoping something like the pitot will "detach", so the motive for rebuilding will emerge 🙂

Looking forward to your next steps of this absolutely amazing Canuck!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend! The pitot tube I added broke off so a new one will have to be made. The pitot I scratchbuilt comprised of a hypodermic needle and copper wire insert. I managed to find Aluminum tubing that is between 0,1 and 0 4 mm in width. It is perfect for my second attempt at a pitot. The tubing is manufactured by Albion Alloys Ltd. It is perfect for scratchbuilding.

• Profile Photo

Albion precision metals comes highly recommended when undertaking a 1/72 or 1/48 scale scratchbuilding project. These Aluminum tubing slide fit into each other and is great for making pitot tubes, retraction struts and landing gear details.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Adrian Starling said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Morne, this is very intricate work and phenomenal detail you are covering! Your masterpiece is inspiring and cannot wait too see the the Canuck in the paint shop. I must say I swear by Albion and all their products are a pleasure to work with and special reference to their sanding files for brass and ABS! Keep up the inspiring work Morne, well done!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Adrian, I appreciate the nice comment and encouragement. I am looking forward to using Alclad on the Canuck. She will definitely shine in all the right places.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

You re-started your build perfectly, Morne.
    Scratch Building in such a way that glue is not even required, unbelievable.
    You keep surprising us .

• Profile Photo

John thanks for the nice comment. I must say this is the most scratchbuilt details I ever added to a model. I am surprising myself. Lol.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Those Albion precision metals is such amazing product, my friend @mornem!
    Thanks for that amazing info!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

The idea of having the cover over the engine fit is great - what a treat it will be when you take that one off when showing your work. Very nice detail!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik. I appreciate the comment. I will focus on the main undercarriage next and thereafter the fun part of painting can commence in earnest.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 1 month ago:

With work interfering with my time at the bench, I am focusing on smaller details that would add visual interest to the model. I have come across a photo of the jet intake showing vanes in front of the engine blades. This was replicated with plasticard. I have also added small vanes to the jet exhaust, not sure of the function of these vanes. The wheels received Aluminum tubing into which the axles will slide fit securely. The right MLG received the retraction mechanism for the undercarriage door. The latter was also lengthened as the kit part is too short. I also started adding all the scratchbuilt details to the left MLG and hope to finish it by the weekend.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

This is just amazing progress on all these "peripheral" parts/areas, my friend @mornem!

Love the engine vanes, wheels and, especially, the realistically busy landing gear legs!

Those vanes that do not seem to change the angle of the airflow, usually are aerodynamic covers for struts that support engine shaft bearing housings.

Looking forward to your amazing progress, and I don't know for how long I will resist tackling my own Canuck...

As I told you, I "allow" my sons play with it, for "something" to break, so major refurbishing will be commenced!