Hobbycraft Avro CF-100 Canuck 1/48

Started by Morne Meyer · 225 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks Spiros! I knew you would know the purpose of those vanes. I enjoy the scratchbuilding process immensely. I am sure your Canuck is going to get some TLC soon. I am very impressed with your Victor and F-16 builds. I wish I was such a fast builder! Take care my friend and keep safe!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Speechless again, Morne @mornem
    That MLG looks extreme realistic.
    It truly shows your expertise in scratch building.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John. It's a labour of love that is testing my skill and patience to the limit. I want to get to the painting stage but I can't rush the scratchbuilding. It is going to look stunning once painted!

• Profile Photo
    Adrian Starling said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Morne, your work is magnificent and the incredibly intricate detailed minuscule parts can only be commended! I am really enjoying your build and learning lots. Keep the lessons coming and looking forward the the paint shop!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Adrian. I appreciate the nice comment. This is the first model I have built that requires so much scratchbuilt details. It is a model that is not often seen on competition tables so it needs lots of TLC, patience and literally blood, sweat and tears to get it to be a suitable contender in a model competition. Needless to say, I enjoy it very much.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

As usual you totally blow my socks away Morne. The quality and love you put into this is just stunning - I may have said something along those lines before, but they are still very valid. Thank you for sharing your fantastic build. The indercarriage is just so filled with detail that it looks very realistic. Good stuff that you discovered the supports for the engine so that it wont fall down and be very hard to start up 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thank you Erik. Having followed your Bf / Me 109 build I know that you also put a lot of effort into your builds . I think all modelers see it as a labour of love. I myself are very new to scratchbuilding and have never before attempted scratchbuilding so many details. I have to thank you and all the other modelers that commented on this build for your positive inputs and motivation. Without you guys edging me on I would not have come this far. Thank you!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 1 month ago:

I've gotta jump in here and "ditto" everyone else on the amazing scratchbuilding you are doing on this, @mornem. Quality work, and the result is going to be without doubt the best model ever made from this dogmeat kit.

• Profile Photo

Thank you very much Tom! Turning a toy like model kit, devoid of any worthwhile details, into a decent representation of the Canuck has been a great learning curve in extensive scratchbuilding. There are so many great modelers on this site, like yourself, that inspired me to go the extra mile.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Amazing, Morne (@mornem). I built the 1/72 Hobbycraft CF-100, and I really appreciate all of the detail you have managed to pack into your build. The detail in the engine is awesome.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George! I am particularly proud of the engine. It will look nice once painted! Hopefully the end result will be pleasing to look at.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years ago:

Hi my friends. I have been away from this build for some time due to work related duties and taking care of my mom who is suffering from multiple illnesses. Needless to say our hobby is a therapeutic exercise in times of stress. I recently joined a CF-100 Facebook group. This has been a tremendous help in securing reference photos. However, this has been a double edged sword! Since obtaining these great photos, I have some new ideas for further detailing but it has also highlighted the many errors that has to be rectified as far as possible.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Those pictures do show a lot of details, Morne @mornem
    For sure that with your skills you will provide us with even more fantastic results.
    I hope your mother will get well soon.

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years ago:

Okay, I give up! Are these recent photos pictures of your finished model or of an actual aircraft? I have a hard time distinguishing the two.
    Such great work Morne (@mornem), simply amazing!

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years ago:

Thank you George! If only my skills were that good! I will have to add more details to the engine to cover most of what can be seen on the photos. Hopefully once painted some of the minor errors will not be too obvious!