Hurricane Mk.IIc, Arma Hobby 1/48

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 16 · 10 months ago · armahobby, Hurricane
  • Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

It has finally happened. I've been waiting for this kit for several years - since it was announced. Today I got the new Hurricane from Arma Hobby and it's time to start building.

I think there will be a lot of good reviews of this kit soon with good photos and historical references, so I just made a few shots to present the detail level of this Hurricane, so you can make your own conclusions.

The wing has many positive rivets. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of this, but it seems to be a popular thing nowadays, as ICM, Airfix and some other manufacturers are going into this. Will see how it looks in the end. Also, I would prefer ailerons as separate parts, but that's just my own preference.

I have some aftermarket parts - Master metal gun barrels, HGW seat belts and stencils (their "wet transfers"). And 3D printed exhausts as a pre-order bonus.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

@starfar - Looks to be a very nice kit Dmitry. The positive rivet details seem like they'll be great.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

@starfar

Dmitry, I am so very glad to see you starting this kit, one I pondered seriously pre-ordering directly from Arma, but the post charges made it somewhat expensive vs the price I’ll eventually find in one of Lisbon’s Hobby shops.

I’ll be following along, not only to read your feedback about the kit and build but also to see your usual top notch work.

Btw, no review I read until now have showed those raised rivets so clearly. Since I’m no Hurricane sofa expert, I trust Arma Hobby research team got them right

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

This looks great Dmitry. Mine should be on the way too if you have yours. Having been around a real Hurricane II out at Planes of Fame 10 years ago, I like those positive rivets, because that happens to be one of the first things you notice when you walk up to one.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great entry, my friend @statfar! Looking forward to your build!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

A beautiful kit, Dmitry @starfar
    This will be a great build.

• Profile Photo

Thank you, mates! Also, you've convinced me about the rivets 🙂

@holzhamer Yeah, post charges might be a non-pleasant surprise. Also, pre-order bonuses were a bit confusing - in order to get additional parts you need to buy more kits, which is... strange? Don't like that approach Eduard has in the past, when mostly all of the new kits were dual combos first - the price is higher and usually I don't need two or more kits of the same aircraft at the same time. Regarding the rivets - I was trying to find an angle so it would be clearly visible and contrast. So, when you look on the wing from above - it's a totally different picture.

@tcinla Your kit should be on its way, Tom! They've started sending them on Monday this week. Since I live in the same country as the manufacturer the delivery was quick for me.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

@starfar

I share your opinion about the confusing extra goodies that came in their pre-order system. Reckon it would be easier to get a discount of those parts or just one (per customer choose) added for free.

As for Eduard dual editions as first box to market it’s a marketing option, one I also don’t usually find attractive because like you I generally only build one kit. Their Mustang royal box was my exception, but then the price and the extras in it really paid off. Looking forward for your next instalment;-)

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looks like a nice kit . More detailed then the old Hasegawa kit that I have waiting to be built.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

I can't wait for your build, Dmitry (@starfar). I also have one on order, so it should be here soon.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Wilson Andrews said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

All the Arma kits I have seen so far are 1/72. I am glad to see 1/48 is now a thing for Arma.

• Profile Photo

@ssgt Hasegawa is a good kit too as far as I remember, but it requires a lot of aftermarket parts to be on par with this new Army's kit.

@gblair Nice! I'm currently working on the wheel bay, and the kit is great, just great.

@tomandrews Tom, it's their second kit in 1/48 scale. The first one is PZL P.11. Hopefully they will come out with next interesting prototypes in this scale, yeah.

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 10 months, 1 week ago:

I completed the first stage of the main wheel well assembly. The kit provides great detail, but there's always room for improvement. In this case it's hydraulic, air and other lines. I used lead and copper wires. I have a set of wires starting at 0.3mm diameter for this purpose.

Also, two other less obvious items. The first is the pipe that runs along the bay, and I think it's some kind of drainage. The second item is the struts for the lower wing panels that form the openings around the wheels.

Aluminium paint is Vallejo acrylics and some oils afterwards. The result:

That power struts:

And some in-progress photos:

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 1 week ago:

This is some serious detailing, Dmitry @starfar
    Looks really good.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Excellent job so far, my friend @starfar!