I question Airfix’s accuracy on a colour scheme…

Started by Matthew Fletcher · 3 · 5 years ago · 1/48, Airifx, Bf 109, Messerschmitt
  • Profile Photo
    Matthew Fletcher said 5 years, 6 months ago:

This is a bit of a rant but I found some extra references of the diagrams for painting my Bf109 E-7 and it turns out that either Airfix is horribly wrong or the references are wrong. I am very confused of how to continue with the painting and I have decided to take elements from both diagrams. I plan on using the colours suggested by airfix and following their suggested pattern yet I do plan to heavily blend the greys and the greens. My first time doing mottling and it is very intimidating. Does anyone have any tips on how to go about doing this?

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Boris Rakic said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Matthew,
    By the color profiles you provided I assume you are talking about Muncheberg's "White 12" in Sicily. If so, it is a tricky question, for a couple of reasons. First, questioning Airfix' color schemes is perfectly valid - I am building their 1/48 E-4 right now, so don't ask me how I know... Second, there is still uncertainty how this aircraft was painted. I was able to find an old forum discussing this very plane, this might be of help to you: https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/j-muencheberg-bf-109e-7-white-12-camo-color.30221/
    The only image I could find won't help with the colors, but at least can give you an idea of how the mottling was applied. More interesting though is that it shows a white "1" instead of the white band.

As to how to do the mottling, I can only suggest using an airbrush with a fine needle, heavily thinned paint and low-ish air pressure. Personally I would stay away from water-based acrylics (like Vallejo etc.) for that and instead use laquer paints like MRP, or Tamiya / Gunze paints thinned with levelling thinner. And practice on a scrap piece of plastic first to get the air pressure right 🙂

Hope that helps,
    Boris

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Hi Matthew,

Personal opinion only since I'm just an enthusiast about Luftwaffe not a scholarship on the subject- the E-7 version of the Emil is considered to be the first factory painted with the Grey 74/75 scheme. That said just by looking at the few photos of Muncheberg E-7 it is hard to say if this is the scheme it wore or if it sports a mix of early type or so. Some machines are overhauled and updated from older versions and perhaps some kept their earlier colour, who knows for sure? I would go for 74/75 but no one can dispute whatever colour scheme you choose, just have fun!