Interior Colors for a B-29

Started by Kipling Mitchell · 6 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Kipling Mitchell said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Good evening everyone,

I have decided to finally build the Monogram 1/48 scale B-29 before I get to much older. I was wondering if anyone know what colors were used for the interior of the aircraft. I have read that there were colors ranging from interior green to dull dark green, and bare aluminum in the bomb bay. I am planning on building the B-29 (not the B-29A or B), one of the versions with the four gun forward upper turret, and the twin tail guns, without 20mm. cannon.
    If anyone has any information or could let me know what interior colors you might have used on any scale B-29 that you might have built, I would appreciate it!

Kip

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Hi my friend @jaquadis!
    Regarding the B-29 colors, by doing some net research, I more or less concluded that, indeed, the more "usual" color for the B-29 interior was interior green. However, I read that other shades of green (namely dark green) would be used when there was a shortage of interior green. Bomb bays have also been stated to be left bare aluminum at cases and I would not be surprised to discover that some bomb bays would have been primed with yellow zinc chromate! Looks like having actual pics of the actual subject would be the best of luck. If no such info is available, maybe interior green crew compartment and aluminum bomb bays would be a safe and also interesting choice.
    Anyways, here are some links you might find useful upon your color shade decision:
    https://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/58353.aspx
    http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/207375-b-29-color-question/

Regards,
    Spiros

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Looking forward to your build, @jaquadis. I have the Monogram B-29 stashed somewhere, so maybe your build will move mine farther up the build queue. I have been inside the flightdeck of a restored B-29, and it was painted the light interior green. I just went to Google and searched for "B-29 flight deck" and found a bunch of photos that all show interior green. Cheers

• Profile Photo

Good morning Guys,

Thanks for the info. This is kind of what I am finding out myself on the colors so far. I have two actually in the stash. One I have had since 1991, and the other one is one my wife picked up at Goodwill two weeks ago. It was an original issue, with the original box (the one with the painting of the B-29 "Thumper" on it), and with some very, very small pieces of Christmas wrapping paper still stuck on it with tape.

Kip

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 6 months ago:

This should be an enjoyable build for you Kipling, @jaquadis, the kit is really pretty damn good. Just be prepared to do lots of work to get the canopy to fit correctly, if you can. I have viewed a number of pictures of B-29's and most of the color pictures of "original" planes appear to be interior green vs the dark dull green. Unless otherwise documented for your individual plane, it would be your safest bet. The bomb bay were in the examples I have seen left bare aluminum. Things to remember though, B-29's were built at four different production facilities from Washington to Georgia. Variations in colors and productions details are always evident from one production line to the next.

• Profile Photo

Hey Walt,

Thanks for the info. Yes, the color information that you have in your post is similar to what Spiros and George have said as well. Also, on occasion, it is the paint that I have on hand that will sometimes determine what colors I use (model paint is not cheap, and sometimes you gotta use what you got!)

Kip