Italeri (AMT) 1/48 Douglas A-20 Havoc "Green Hornet"

Started by Morne Meyer · 35 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks George! I want to detail the kit as much as possible as the Havoc is one of my favorite WW II medium bomber / attack aircraft.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Love the Havoc, and one of my early builds was the Green Hornet! I'm looking forward to seeing "big brother" come together! (I snapped a quick pic through my model cabinet glass...)

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg! You transported me back to 1985 when I built this beauty from Matchbox. Crude by today's standards with it's thick transparencies and trenchlike engraved panel lines. Needless to say you made that kit shine!

• Profile Photo

I have added some small but essential details to the undercarriage. I added a towing ring and various pieces of "plumbing" fashioned from 0.2mm soldering wire and 0.1mm jewelry wire. Pewter foil and Tamiya tape was used to fasten the "plumbing" to the undercarriage.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The past week was spent scratchbuilding the A-20 bomb bay. This is a daunting undertaking. I managed to get drawings of the A-20 Boston and Havoc bomb bays that show sidewall details but not the top section where the bombs attach. This 'roof' section is not 100% correct as I could not find clear images and the few b/w images are of poor quality. Once the 4 bombs are fitted most of the details will be obscured. Evergreen styrene bits and pieces were used throughout. Next step is adding electrical wiring and other 'plumbing' as well as scratchbuilding the actuating mechanism for the bomb bay doors.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 2 months ago:

This is simply stunning... Fabulous work Morne ! I will definitely be using this build journal as a reference in the future. Well done !

What sort of punch are you using to make the lightening holes in the plastic ? I have two of the older Waldron punch sets, but eventually plan on getting another one.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis for the kind comment. It's always appreciated. I drilled out the lightening holes as the spacing of the holes were determined after styrene pieces were glued in place. A good punch set is something I should invest in.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 5 years, 2 months ago:

GR8 work!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Excellent. Enjoying this thread very much, Morne.
    What an amazing difference that scratchbuilding makes - looks great. And must be really satisfying.

• Profile Photo

Definitely David. I always bought resin upgrades from Hannants for most of my kits but after trying my hand at scratchbuilding I am more inclined to scratchbuild details. It's cost effective, very therapeutic and satisfying part of model building. It is time consuming but a very rewarding exercise as it is something you created.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 years, 2 months ago:

If my scratch-building looked like yours I would be doing it all the time. By the time you include the time it takes to separate a resin part from its "gate", clean it up, and then fit it to the kit, I usually find it would have taken less time to scratch-build or add detail to the kit part. I also seldom buy resin anymore because of the time it takes to use them and their cost. Now, if I could just get my scratch additions to look like yours...

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 2 months ago:

True excellence here Morne! It’s a joy to behold your “therapeutic” scratchbuild work. Again, following with keen interest

• Profile Photo

Thanks George for the kind compliment on my scratchbuilding efforts! Practice makes perfect. Don't give up on it!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Pedro. I have some great plans for the cockpit and rear compartment. Lots of scratchbuilding still ahead.