Ju-188 Italeri 1/72

Started by Greg Kittinger · 8 · 3 years ago · 1/72, German, Italeri, Ju-188, WWII
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 8 months ago:

A friend from our local model club had recently started a Ju-188 in 1/48 scale, and I decided to join him with an Italeri 1/72 rendition. I waited for MONTHS for the decals to come in from somewhere in the former USSR (not sure which country - don't remember now). They finally arrived just as I was finishing up those last two Phantoms, the paint was drying on the Fiesler 167, and am waiting for decals on the Sonia - so I cracked the box on this:

Not really a high-parts-count model, so I thought it would be a "quick build," but once I saw the cockpit detail (absolutely none), I realized it would take a bit longer than anticipated. I spent about a week scratchbuilding all the detail in the cockpit, including cutting up the existing cockpit floor section, using a few spare parts from the spares box, and mostly various forms of styrene (sheet, strips, etc.) and some soldering wire for the tubes on the port side.

The pics below show three stages: as existed out of the box (sans seats), what I did with styrene and components, and then the whole thing painted up (though not yet fully weathered).

I realized that I will still need to add some structure to attached the nose gun, as the way Italeri would have you mount it is to attached it to the nose piece of the canopy - not gonna do that. I'll also add some detailing to three guns/gun mounts - mostly the shell ejector tubes.

By the way, I did realize the control column was too high, and cut it down after I took these pics.

I also decided to sand off the raised detail and re-scribe the panel lines, and add the few rivet sections.

18 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 8 months ago:

That cockpit came out great, Greg.
    So much scratch build details for a 1/72.
    Will be following this build cause I'm eager to see the final result.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Nice start Greg, actually me and a couple of other iModeler friends are building the Ju.188 kits in 1/48 right now, so nice to see you building one in your favourite scale.
    That old kit is still pretty decent and your skill is certainly pushing the envelope, looking forward to see your progress

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hi Greg!
    What a nice choice! IThis plane has some looks!
    You've done a wonderful detailing job in this cockpit. Your scratchbuilt qualities paid off and this cockpit now looks realistically busy.
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hi Greg, funny how popular the Ju-188 is all of a sudden in a couple of scale, it is Louis and I are the other 2 building the 188 with Pedro. You are very close to what the interior is like in the Racher. I am building the Dragon Ju-188 A1, in 48th scale. Here is some image of the cockpit. I will be watching your build with interest your very good with your projects in 72nd scale.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Very nice scratchbuilt detail in 72nd! I'm strapped in for this build too.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Great start, Greg (@gkittenger). Italeri kits can be a trial sometimes, but your added detail will make the difference. I also am looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Cool plane Greg! Interior is looking good. Also nice use of an egg container as a stand.