HPH 1/48 B-36 Build/Review

Started by Josh Patterson · 47 · 3 years ago · 1/48, B-36, build, HPH, review, WIP, Work in progress
  • Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

It was cut into four pieces a I managed to down one of those. (My girfriend and her seven year old were not so successful!) It was a 2 3/4 pound patty with about a quarter pound of 1/4" thick Neuske's bacon. (Jeff Bailey knows how good that is!)

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Wisconsin’s finest. I know Jeff is in Indianapolis- you nearby? Might have to add a stop in my proposed ‘iModeler US Tour’

• Profile Photo

Intercooler shutters for the #1 engine installed!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Jeff is about six or seven hours away. You are definitely welcome. The EAA museum is definitely worth it. (And also EAA's Pioneer Airport out back which is open spring through fall, although they have one or two ski plane fly-ins every winter.) Or stop by for the big show in July.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 6 months ago:

David, it'd be GREAT if we could get together! I've not yet met Josh in person, so your visit would be a great excuse for all of us to get together. Tom Bebout is only a couple hours away and Rick Wilkes is here in Indy as well. Do you have an estimated time-frame?

@dirtylittlefokker @jpatt1000 @tom-bebout @fuzzman

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 6 months ago:

BIG Burger! Neuske's bacon! YUMMY!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Wow! This model is amazing. Since it is fiberglass, I suppose it will require a few different techniques. Did you say you were building a new room on your house to display it?

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

I’m working on it, Jeff. Have a possible window next fall - would love to take a long road trip and check in on a few friends.

• Profile Photo

Not really George. After all, parts is parts. The main difference is building the interior after the exterior. If you've ever done aftermarket part installations or conversions you could totally handle one of these. (And of the three big HPH kits I have the B-36 looked to be the easiest to build and the first I've attempted. It's been pretty easy so far.)

• Profile Photo

I could make a trip down if a few of us could meet Jeff in Indy.

• Profile Photo
    Mark Krumrey said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Hi Josh: You have a great build log started here. The last post was over a year ago, hopefully you have continued on with the B-36. I recently picked up a Monogram kit in the original boxing. I built it when it first came out in 1980 or so. I am looking forward to it. I am looking forward to seeing more of your build, hope it's not stalled.

• Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 4 years, 2 months ago:

I agree with Mark. I hope that the build is going alright. There hasn't been an update in forever. But if you need more time, I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say you can have it. That is a MONSTER task you've taken upon yourself. Hope you get this. Have a nice day.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Yeah, I've picked back up on it after the B-52 got here. It's just that there are a lot of holes to make! Fortunately #David Kopielski is coming to the rescue for some alternative markings so that's also spurring me on. I've also finally finished foiling the wings on my B-29 so the end is in sight for that build!

• Profile Photo
    Mark Krumrey said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Hi Josh: Glad to see that you are still amongst the land of the living. I take it the B-52 is also the 1/48 scale kit. I am hoping to see an update on your B-36. As you mentioned , lots of holes to cut out, I can imagine that can be a bit daunting, Good luck on your other projects as well.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Yes, the B-52 is also 1/48. It is an even better kit than the B-36. I have a review of it on the site. If you've ever done resin and struggle with removing parts from pour blocks, HPH takes about 95% of that away. I liked your Scorpion builds. Made me get my C model out and get back to work on it. I cut the rocket stubs off of the wing, but am not happy with the result. Gonna swap clean wing bottoms from a D/J kit as it is being built as a "what if" and will be camouflaged so sanding the rest of the stub remnants off won't cause much of a burden. (Hint, it will have SEA camo and the job I'm setting it up for required a two man crew.)