Lockheed T-33A

Started by Michael Turner · 55 · 6 months ago · 1/48. Testors, Hawk, Lockheed, T-33
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Progressing nicely, Michael @michaelt

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Your T-33 looks really nice in black primer, Michael (@michaelt). Maybe you should leave it black and call it a stealth trainer. I was in high school when this kit came out, and I am pretty sure I built it when it was new.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Your T-bird is coming along nicely Michael(@michaelt). I’ve built this kit and the TV-2 Navy release multiple times in my misspent youth, starting in 1966 or so when I was 10. Captain Hawk taught taught me my first lessons in model building as opposed to gluing together a toy. I still use the toothpick axel trick to paint wheels. Look forward to seeing her finished up.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 8 months, 1 week ago:

I painted the control surfaces SMS silver, masked them off and then painted the rest SMS aluminium. Unfortunately, there is little if any difference in the colours.
    I have to fix a few rough parts still - metallic finishes show up every blemish.

I have finished the engine, however.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Silver or aluminum paint is unforgiven, but from here all looks very nice, Michael @michaelt
    Also the engine looks great.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Indeed, there looks to be little difference between the two NMFs, my friend @michaelt, but still it is visible. The engine looks superb!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 8 months, 1 week ago:

I try to avoid NMF for that very reason, Michael @michaelt, but I think the finish looks good. I remember building that engine and maintenance stand when I was a kid. The two metal colors are very similar with just a slight difference. I usually try mixing a little gray with the metallic color I use on the control surfaces.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

Painting is almost done.

SMS Aluminium over all.

SMS Super Silver control surfaces, the upper panel in front of the cockpit and the drop tanks.

The dark panels are 50:50 Vellejo Aluminium:Dark Aluminium with the fin fillet being straight Dark Aluminium, which I decided was a little too dark.

The black is SMS Black Primer.

Rather than use the decal, I painted the (Gunze H13) red turbine warning band on the rear fuselage. I first thought this was at the fuselage join, but had to repaint and move it aft of the wing fillet when I had a better look at the instructions.

Also, I masked and painted the (Gunze H4) yellow and (Tamiya X18) semi-gloss black checked tail band.

The tail tip and lower nose are Gunze H338 light grey.

Unfortunately I broke the nose gear off, so I'll have to drill and pin it back on.

I am contemplating masking and painting the "USAF" and "U.S. Air Force" markings too because the decals area bit smudged looking. I'll use the rest of the decals, though - stars and bars, stencils, serial number and nose artwork.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

Really great paintwork, Michael @michaelt
    The painted paints are definitely better than decal ones.
    A pity about the nose gear but it will be much stronger with a pin inside it in the end.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

Supreme paintwork, my friend @michaelt! Yep, pity about the nose leg, easily fixable though. I always manage to break at least one such bit at least once in almost each one of my builds, so this is normality for me 😄
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

I have cut masks using a Cricut and will see how the go tomorrow.
    I have to have this finished for the competition judging on 5th November.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent masking, my friend @michaelt!

• Profile Photo

And that worked well.
    I will now make the USAF masks.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Perfect, my friend @michaelt! Looking forward to your USAF masks!

• Profile Photo

Here they are Spiros (@fiveten).

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.