Lockheed T-33A

Started by Michael Turner · 55 · 6 months ago · 1/48. Testors, Hawk, Lockheed, T-33
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Awesome, my friend @michaelt!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Your paint and masking skills are perfect, Michael (@michaelt). The masks you created worked out extremely well and allows you to replace the old decals that might have spoiled your paint-work. I think the red band on the tail marks where the turbine section of the engine is. Just like the red band on multiengine propeller planes, the red band shows where you don't want to be standing when the when the prop (or turbine, in this case) starts shedding blades. Looking forward to the big finish.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent progress, Michael @michaelt

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

This kit is actually older than 1964, @michaelt. I recall building one around 1959-60 or thereabouts. Definitely not 1964 because I was in Vietnam then with the Navy. But I did one before I got out of school, so 59-60 is probably right.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great progress, Michael.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

I created masks and painted the serial number on the fin - 5mm high numbers is about as small as I think the cutter can reasonably go, particularly for closed characters like “6” and “9”.

I also cut masks for the “stars and bars”.

Here they are ready to paint the white.

Once that is done I will mask the white and spray the red stripes.

Then I remove the blue mask and spray the blue.

At least that is the plan.

The fuselage markings fit awkwardly and I hope they are “square”.

That is one area where decals are better.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Superb masking, my friend @michaelt! Looking forward to the results!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Those are wonderful masks, Michael @michaelt
    The results will be great.

• Profile Photo

White painted and then masked in prep for the red bars.

• Profile Photo

And red…

• Profile Photo

Ready to paint the blue

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

And the result…

They need a touch-up here and there.
    Plus, although the vinyl is “low tack” it has affected the silver paint in a couple of places. The masks were too fragile to de-tack.
    Live and learn.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent result, my friend @michaelt! Will look spotless after the touchups!

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Michael(@michaelt) the Hawk T-33 was one of my first kits and I built several T-birds and the Navy version TV-2 during my misspent youth, but none of them looked anywhere near as beautiful as yours. Outstanding work, look forward to the finish, and I hope you can use the bicycle built for two nose art.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Your masks and painting are looking great, Michael (@michaelt). I haven't had a lot of success cutting masks as small as yours, so I think I need to go back and practice some more. I was digging in the garage and found the old Hawk TV-2. I don't think I am quite ready to tackle the kit, but at least I know where it is. Looking forward to your completion.