Magic Factory F4U-1 Corsair x2, 'New Corsair on the Block'

Started by Harvey R. · 81 · 1 month ago · 1/48, Aviation, Corsair, F4U, Magic Factory, WWII
  • Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

From my perspective, dust, dirt, oil, and aviation fuel are another factor. Landing gear on a model if done appropriately gives an impression of carrying the weight of the a/c if your into counting grains of sand. However, they add to the appeal of a build. As does a canopy that is painted smartly and crisply with no runs, drips or errors. Along with light and shadow. Walsh's bird as often mentioned is in a dirty environment ...that light grey is a good choice. One of the photos you've shown is "Life" photo of a new Corsair readied for a test pilot. Its staged for public consumption. I like the down and dirty look.

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

I will be following this thread a lot more closely as I just ordered the kit from Sprue Brothers. Friend wants the -1A so we're gonna split the combo. Now to research how a -2 is painted.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

@kahu - An F4U-2 was either left in tricolor (VMF (N) 532) or done either with Sea Blue over all the upper surfaces (the Intermediate Blue) or with what appears to be black (but could just be fresh Sea Blue) over the Intermediate Blue. From the available photos, the underside was left alone (painting the underside of an airplane sitting on its gear is hard). The painting diagrams in the kit are accurate.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Finishing the Interiors

A little bit of work later and the -1A interior is painted up, along with the Tamiya -1D. Nothing more to really say here as it goes together the same as the previous cockpit but the details are nice and accurate.

The kit does come with instrument panel decals, but I'm never a fan of the ones with a black background rather than clear, more importantly since MF have done raised details for the instruments its very easy to just brush over these. I did give every dial a dot of gloss just to make them stand out a little more.

The included PE seatbelts were used and god I hate using PE, but they do look add a nice bit of detail. As a side I've never seen PE that comes pre-cut before, not fully able to understand this wizardry I've taken to just being impressed it exists.

The two fuselage halves went together without much issue thankfully, although not pictured here I have added the other panels to the aircraft to build up the rest of the nose and spine. When building these I glued them as pictured and left them overnight, but I'd recommend putting those nose panel parts on before leaving them as I found the nose was a little bit too pinched in for them to fit and needed some constructive disassembly the next morning.

Currently I'm working on the wing and I am left a bit confused by some decisions by MF in regards to the flaps and ailerons, I'll snap some photos and talk about that tomorrow.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Cockpits and interiors look great, Harvey (@scalerambush). I really like your shot that shows the different colors of the interior primer.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Amazing job on all, my friend @scalerambush!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Impressive work on the cockpits, Harvey @scalerambush

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Flaps and Aileron Woes

Afternoon all, been an unexpectedly busy week in this last bit of freedom before I head back to work so I haven't had much time at the bench, and to be honest I wasn't feeling like fighting the Corsair all that much.

So let's jump in to some complaints on the kit, they aren't exactly the most difficult issues to deal with but they're just a bit more annoying than I'd like. Firstly the ailerons, they consist of two parts but the two parts don't fit well. I had to sand them quite a lot to get to fit on one pair, on the second pair I just went and sanded them quite far since no matter how careful you are you're gonna have to fill in a pointless and inaccurate seamline. It strikes me as very strange that MF went through the effort of making a very nice seamless fuselage design where I won't need to do any seamline fixing aide from behind the rudder, but then made these ailerons in a very poorly designed way. They could really be either one piece or just two pieces where the seam is on the trailing edge, not halfway in. The Corsair aileron has a bit of an indentation towards the underside inside leading edge, but it's not hugely noticeable on the real aircraft and MF have overdone this massively, so this had to be filled in otherwise it would look like a chunk had been taken out of the wing.

Now the flaps, which are a shame. So on this kit the unfolded wing has to have flaps down, the unfolded has to have flaps up, now personally if the option of having a choice up or down really couldn't be done then I'd rather it was the other way round but regardless this has caused a few issues. Firstly on my -1A (which is the folded wing with flaps up, modifed to be unfolded) the flaps just don't look nice. They have 'The London Look' gap between the flaps, and they don't line up well. Even excluding the outer wing due to the that being modified, the two flaps on the inner wing have that unsightly and larger than I'd like gap, whilst the outer wing has a huge gap between the flap and the aileron.

Onto the birdcage, which is an unfolded wing modified to have flaps up. Modifying these flaps to be raised is more challenging than the same modification to the Tamiya kit, it required cutting away at part of the wing in order to get the inboard flaps closer to the fuselage or else there would be a big noticeable gap here. The flaps also, without modification, sit too low and needed sanding to fit better. Every flap needed to be sanded on each corner to fit, the middle flap needed quite a lot of sanding on the side at an angle to reduce the size of the visible gap, and the wing needed to be thinned to accommodate the new position. Is it difficult? No. Is it a headache which to be honest I wasn't in the mood to fix? Yes. Is it a shame that the 28 year old kit still, despite the wing issues it has, seems to me to be the far better Corsair to build in the wing area alone? Yes, granted I'm not doing the MF kit favours by going outside of the design decisions they've made.

With all that said and done I also have to of course mention that pesky F4U-1 flap foot hole which is inaccurately in these kits, but thankfully since the option of having it as an engraved detail rather than a hole exists in the kit it makes filling it in and sanding it much easier than the Tamiya.

Overall with that headache out of the way I can say I'm through probably the most tedious bit. Did it kill my mojo? Not exactly, but I'd be lying if I wanted to fix that rather than doing other things which is why the update took a week. I was tempted to crack open another kit but I don't want another kit on the bench!

Oh and also those wingtips? Yeah not hugely happy with them either, I find that that the underside has a larger gap that you'd like if you want the wingtip to be in a correct position.

At least the tailplane went on nicely!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months, 1 week ago:

You have tackled all fit issues in your usual excellent manner, my friend @scalerambush!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Quite some challenges, Harvey @scalerambush
    Pretty sure you can get them solved.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 months, 1 week ago:

@scalerambush - The ailerons are molded the way they are (which is also what Eduard does) in order to get a "knife edge" trailing edge, which cannot be done if molded the way you want.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Looks like you are overcoming the issues in the build, Harvey @scalerambush. I always tell myself that kits have issues so we can exercise our minding trying to fix them.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 4 months ago:

Evening all, back to base now after the Christmas season which means I'm back to being a weekend modeller.

Some Quick Assembly

Just a quick one for tonight but the Corsairs are looking more airworthy.

The engines have been glued on, and the cowling put on. For both of these I went for the underside colour on the interior, according to what I can find the interior of the cowling was painted in one layer of Salmon Pink followed by a layer of the Light Grey for the Birdcage, the -1A would have been similar with Yellow Zinc Chromite plus a layer of the Insignia White. Original colour photos certainly help back this up!

I was planning on adding copper wire to the engines, but I simply forgot and only realised now I'm writing this post. Oops! Oh well, only a minor thing.

The control surfaces were added, and these go on in without issues. For the -1A I've deflected them somewhat similar to what I can see in the photo of Ole 122.

Clear parts were also dipped in Pledge, I've been skipping this step in most models but I figured I have time nowadays and dipped them last week. Today I've masked them up off camera. It's worth noting that the set includes mask sets for the canopies, which generally work well but with a few issues around the bubbled part of the birdcage canopy and the roof of the -1A canopy. Strangely the set only comes with one masking sticker for the underbelly window, which is a minor inconvenience.

I've also been trying to work out the best way to fill those holes in the originally folded wing. The hole towards the leading edge has no part in the kit that could fit, and the hole further back does have a piece that could be fashioned to fit with a little work but I managed to drop it into the wing where it now will live. I'm planning to do the lazy way first and try some filler, but if that doesn't work (which I imagine it probably won't) then I'll get the plasticard out.

2 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months ago:

Excellent progress, coming together nicely, my friend @scalerambush!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months ago:

Progressing nicely, Harvey @scalerambush