Magic Factory F4U-1 Corsair x2, 'New Corsair on the Block'

Started by Harvey R. · 81 · 3 weeks ago · 1/48, Aviation, Corsair, F4U, Magic Factory, WWII
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 weeks, 1 day ago:

A wonderful result, my friend @scalerambush! An amazing build thread too!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 weeks, 1 day ago:

The birdcage looks amazing, Harvey @scalerambush
    I'm sure the -1A will look as beautiful once that last hurdle is taken.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 weeks, 1 day ago:

This has been an exceptional journey, Harvey (@scalerambush), that has created a couple of memorable models. Your build can definitely serve as a clinic on how to achieve great results like these. Well done.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

Thank you all and I'm glad you liked how the Birdcage came out!

Finishing Ole 122

I managed to find a resin conversion set for British Corsairs by Model Design Construction, the set comes with a resin propeller with the earlier narrow blades, a fuel tank, a couple of cockpit sidewalls and the fuselage air scoops needed for a British aircraft, but on the topic of the propeller this was literally the only 1/48 resin prop for a Corsair of any company I could find and it was pretty well hidden on google.

Either way it works perfectly well for this, the propeller hub was drilled into (the Tamiya kit has the rod on the propeller, not on the engine) and it fits well. I used the propeller blades from the MF kit as they were already painted and ready to go rather than use the resin blades.

A nav light and a landing light had disappeared into the aether too, so the landing light from a Wildcat (which is very slightly too small) was used and a nav light was made from the clear sprue. After that the antenna wire was added.

I decided to leave the front mast antenna off, I can't see it in the main photo from the front and the photo of the pilot could very easily either be from another VMF-111 aircraft marked 112, which also has bomb markings.

It took a bit longer to finish than I'd like.. A lot longer really, but I'm happy with the result. The sea blue could have been faded a bit more in hindsight but that's not the end of the world!

Time to slowly start a new kit before I get on with another Corsair, I'm thinking it's time to get an Eduard Mustang done... Thanks again all for following along and commenting, best of luck with your own builds!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

Fantastic result, my friend @scalerambush!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

You can definitely be proud of the result, Harvey @scalerambush
    Wonderful result on both.