”Manfred von Richthofen” Albatros D.V. Wingnut Wings 1/32

Started by Paul Barber · 10 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 8 months ago:

I received this in the post a day or two back, so I thought I'd share the 'unboxing' with my fellow iModelers!

The kit is the first of a new WNW collection that allows the modeller to build aircraft associated with a particular famous (or infamous) flyer. These kits come with a figurine of the airman in question.

Other airmen and their aircraft in this 'collection' due for release before Christmas (October in Europe I believe) are:

Max Immelmann - Fokker E.II
    Lanoe Hawker - AMC DH2
    Raymond Collishaw - Sopwith Triplane

All of these kits are based on sprues from previously available, but now sold out Wingnut Wings models.

The Richthofen kit affords the builder the opportunity to choose one of five aircraft flown by ' The Red Baron':

Essentially this is a concept kit, built around the sprues of the previously released WNW Albatros D.V. For those who missed out on the original version (long sold out) or who didn't wish to make the considerable investment in the "Jasta 5 Green Tail" triple pack (also now sold out), this is another opportunity to fill their WNW gap with an iconic aircraft - or to find the decals from the older sets if Manfred von Richthofen isn't to their liking!

Once opened, the box reveals the usual high quality WNW booklet.

All sprues are individually bagged, as are clear parts and photo-etch.

Decals are beautifully made from designs by Malcolm Laird of Ventura Decals fame.

Some are 'pre weathered', many are cut to shape. Notably there are 'bonus' decals for two other MvR planes - an Albatros DIII and the Fokker Dr1 Triplane. These are for use with the Roden kits of these planes. I'm not sure why they are included, other than as a 'kind gesture' - I will put mine in the spares box for use at a (much) later date, if ever! I'm sure many will be holding their breath for a WNW Dr1!

In no particular order, sprues A to E, are of high quality and the high level of detail associated with the brand.

The figurine is well detailed in white plastic - which is very 'light' and comes with pre-attached handling 'rods' that will please the figure painters, I'm sure! Photos of the figurine as painted by John Belcher are presented as a guide.

The instructions offer fantastic detail in full colour to guide painting and construction. They also contain a great number of photos of the original aircraft and of course von Richthofen, generally from the 1914-18 Aviation Heritage Trust. Excellent colour profiles by Ronny Bar are included to guide painting. Full credits are given to the team that designed and realised the concept and kit at the end of the booklet.

And that is where I am going to leave this until 2019! It is a fantastic thing, and I am excited to have one in the cupboard - however I have a lot to get done for the RAF100 group build before this project starts! My preference at the moment falls between the two aircraft shown in the last picture in this post - there is plenty of time to ponder that choice!

I hope you enjoy the pictures!

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 8 months ago:

I'd always heard (and seen) that these WNW kits were top-shelf stuff - now I see why. Thanks for the peek.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 8 months ago:

I'm with Craig on this... They make some fantastic looking stuff, and the builds look even better once completed.

This is an excellent article, and have you considered making it into a kit review ?

Paul,
    Your 2019 is looking good ! I'm just as excited as you are with this one. It should be a great show !

Thanks for sharing this beauty with us... and you have a very hard choice to make as far as which plane you will build. Now I want to restore my old Revell 1/28 Dr.1 that I built as a child... It definitely needs a good facelift. Sort of like me... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 8 months ago:

I laughed when I read that 'facelift' comment, Louis. 2019 seems a long way away with the RAF100 builds - I am doing a little each day - I hope to paint the exteriors of the early WW2 planes at the same time. I reckon I'll get to that point in by the end of September!

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Its been rumored that Sir Peter is not making any money on WnWs kits ...he is doing it for the love of WWI aircraft and teaching folks a thing a or two about early fighters. I take this with a grain of salt. But, it would appear that a lot goes into the development and research of these kits. Some of them have been developed using scanning technology using laser measurements taken from air frame's found in museums. I've picked up two of them ...there not cheap but, for the price they are reasonable when you look at whats in the box. The Red Barron's Albatro's looks to be another winner and another vehicle for teaching John Q. Public that the Baron flew more than the tri-plane and fought Snoopy in his Sopwith Camel.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Paul, I will be following your build thread with keen interest. There are a couple of motivation facts that justify my interest; 1) I have the original DV release box that’s been collecting dust for the last 2/3 years. Perhaps your build will revive my will to build it (or forget the fear of screwing it up!); 2- Richthofen is an icon, if WnW ever release the Triplane I would buy at the first chance. Still I also have a long ago edition of Eduards 1/48 DV devoted to 2 of the schemes that come in the box you now have. Again my mojo to build this one is long dead but your build could revive, or so I hope.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Talk about 'click bait' - you get us all excited about a WnW Albatros DV and then say "2019". Ah, you are a cad. Great review, though.

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Great review...looking forward to seeing this being built. Peter Jackson has certainly given us a gift. If you ever go to New Zealand go to his WWI museum. It is stunning and combined with the WWI airfield it is mecca. There is a youtube channel called 'Scale-A-Ton' and he has done several WnW builds. This is the link to his Albatros. It's almost therapeutic to watch him build.

Jim

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Excellent. Thanks for the review!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 6 months ago:

The tutorial is very good, well done in images and steps of construction, but when it came to the rigging part my eyes sore