Messermarine Spitschmitt 109 Mk.Vb FINISHED

Started by Erik Gjørup · 65 · 3 years ago · Bf 109, DB605, Haldværk, Spitfire, Spitfire Mk Vb
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Having missed it so far, catching up with it now, @airbum! What a great project and what a fantastic progress. Will look SO cool!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

@fiveten - sprayed the yellow today - that is really cool! - picture comin up!

• Profile Photo

Yellowbelly?

Short update just to show the color

Today I sprayed the Italian 109 with RLM74, and as there was some left in the airbrush, the Spitschmitt got the last drops before re-loading with RLM4

As you can see it was only thin layers – yes, I have listened and I’m trying to learn too!

The thin layer tempted me to try to add another right away, and not the prettiest result as a consequence of that. Patience my child, patience. . .

As for the RLM74, some sources state a mottle and two-tone was the reality, the two conversion kits are split between the two (check the papers in the first picture). One solution is to make them both, but let me hear your opinion!

Next up probably the painted plane – stay tuned, and let me know what you think before I paint the topside.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

This is a lovely looking yellow, @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 11 months ago:

It is always a great feeling to finally get to the point in a build when you can start putting some paint on the model. The yellow will make a striking paint scheme. What brand of paint are you using, Erik @airbum ?

• Profile Photo

Thanks @fiveten!

@gblair thank you. I have used Xtra Color on this one, the primer was Tamiya from an aerosol can. I am trying to migrate to acrylics but keep going back to Humbrol and Xtracolor enamels. Generally for airbrushing I use mostly enamels, and if I sit in the livingroom (yes that is actually where I build!) I use acrylics, AK, Valejo, Testors and Tamiya, depending on the color at hand. As goes for the Yellow on the Spit, I think it is really making it stand out - even more than I had expected!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 11 months ago:

The idea of using a glossy paint has passed through my brain now and again, but I don't seem to have much luck with them. I continue to have my best luck with flat paints such as Tamiya and AK Real Colors, both of which are hybrid arcylics, and then spraying a coat of clear gloss afterwards to prepare for decals.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

@gblair I have some difficulty with the matt as they dry on me too fast. I have ordered some retarder and will see if that helps. I think that a few extra "fullframe" layers of clear may be useful as I quite often use too thick layers, creating edges. Ah well, one day I shall be perfect at this. Maybe. Perhaps. OK, another post coming up any minute now.

• Profile Photo

Topdressing

Last night I had to get my hands on some that would work

As I had messed up two paintjobs, I decided that the spit might just do the trick of keeping me happy. . .

It had been masked a few days prior, and out came the xtracolor – not the RLM 74 that had already been sprayed to empty the ‘brush, but 75 as it will be the baselayer.

Not all bad, and the orangepeel was less that earlier jobs, so all in all I’m happy

Now the paint will dry and I have to decide how to mask for camo, or perhaps do it freehand – stay tuned

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Looks great, @airbum!
    Waiting for the camo.

• Profile Photo

The wait is over @fiveten - camo comin' right up

• Profile Photo

Grey and Grey

and some motle

Finally it was time to paint the greenish grey, and the mottle in the same color done in the same session

This was my first camo done freehand, and with that in mind I think it went OK. Now the masks will come off later tonight when the paint has dried an hour or so, then it is time to decide if gloss clear has to be sprayed in preparation for decals.

Next may be with decals – stay tuned

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Your freehand camo looks great, @airbum!
    Decal time is approaching!
    Paint looks nice and shiny, (also the yellow, as l recall)...
    So, maybe you will not need a gloss coat.
    Waiting eagerly for those decals!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 10 months ago:

It is great to be at the decal step, especially on something that involved so much conversion. I think it will look great with the decals.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Thank you my friends, the wait is partly over - decal time comin' right up next
    @fiveten
    @gblair