Messermarine Spitschmitt 109 Mk.Vb FINISHED

Started by Erik Gjørup · 65 · 3 years ago · Bf 109, DB605, Haldværk, Spitfire, Spitfire Mk Vb
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Germanyfication

The first decals are on, some need to be made, some are sourced from the spares

The LF kit is the only one of the two that offers decals for the Mk.Vb DB605. They are not great, the white areas being far too transparent.

The markings from an Eduard 109 is pressed into service, adding to the 109 feel of this build

The lower Balkenkreuze does have some difficulty to settle over the vents

So I cut a pair of crosses, the locations being measured by the old eyeball Mk I.

And with the first decals on, I will now get to make some letters and such, as I think the ones from LF are a bit too thick a typeface.

It did look great in the sun today though!

And just a last picture to show two of my “in-progress” boxes that I use

They are great to have the models in while they wait for the next worksession, dustfree, and with at least 5 of them they are great to keep the one you work on at the top, freeing precious workbench space!

Next – well, perhaps a trial decal printing? stay tuned

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Wow, decals really bring life to the paint scheme. I have used LF Decals before, but they didn't have a lot of light colors in them, so they worked fine. This is often the same problem I have when I make my own decals using white decal paper. The hobby shops here don't carry decal paper, and some of the stuff you can get on Amazon is just too thin. I like your "in-progress" boxes, they are a great idea. My wife and I share a hobby room, so the space we have for storage is scarce. The most I ever do is have one airplane and one model railroad structure going at the same time.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Erik,
    This has been an absolute joy to watch as you have progressed with it. As far as calibrating your Mk-1 eyeball, I think it would be a waste of time as it is spot on now... About two years ago our good friend David Leigh Smith sent me a picture he found. It is not the same Mark Spitfire as yours, but it is definitely under new ownership. I have kept this photo and eventually I hope to build up a model of this very same plane.

I wanted to share the photo with you.

We seem to think a lot alike, as I too use plastic boxes to store kits as I work on them. It is much better than relying on the kit's box. The only problem I have had with these, is simply not having enough of them... Sometimes things get out of hand at the Iron Werks, and my ambitions outweigh my skill set.

I'm developing a Spitfire itch... and the two 1/48 scale "new tool" Tamiya MkI's are talking to me. I also have to finish up the ones that were previously started for our wonderful 100 Years of the RAF group build.

You have definitely turned the corner and are in the home stretch now. It's looking fantastic and I'm looking forward to seeing the next update.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

This looks amazing, my friend @airbum, and I can only echo our friends' @gblair and @lgardner positive comments!

I just love to see those Luftwaffe markings on a Spit!

As for the boxes, looks a great idea, though keeping the progressed contents in leftover nice (say) Hasegawa boxes is so tempting...

• Profile Photo

Thank you my friends, @lgardner and @fiveten

Louis, I bought some AM decals for the PR XI - or at least I thought so - I did not read the text, and it is actually masks, and a very small sheet for the T9 part. Masks are included for both T9+BB and T9+EK with explanations on how both were actually used. (another set for a F.Mk IXc were bought at the same time)

So they may be in the long-term plan somewhere.

Spiros, indeed I have an itch for anything not-usual, and some 109's in english marks may show up one day (I got a plan to make a 109E in French colors too). The boxes are supposed to be stacked, making them ideal as side-boards to the workbench, whereas the nice cartons are glossy and easy to tumble at a wrong move - I do have both in use though, keeping the cardboard ones to a minimum. (Plastic has been sold out in "my" size for a while at the store)

• Profile Photo

I am glad to see I am not the only one who was surprised when the "decals" showed up, but in my case they were a nice surprise and worked well. I don't use masks often, but when I do I am pleased with the results.

• Profile Photo

Decals

With a few minutes to spare, the first decals came on today

They are laserprinted on a full sheet, so have to be cut close. They are also extremely thin and very difficult to move around – and really fragile print, so easily scratched.

All things considered it went well – but I did only manage to get the top of the wing done – and a single brush of solvent. I will re-visit it later and see if it needs another round, and then some repair with acrylic paint here and there.

Next probably when fully decaled and sealed – and then the last details. Stay tuned

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Looking really nice in its Spitschmitt oddity, my friend @airbum!
    Waiting to see this beauty fully decalled.

• Profile Photo

Laser printed decals can be a blessing or a curse. I make a lot of them for my model railroad, and sometimes they work perfectly, and sometimes they lead to some very creative language. Yours look like they came out great, Erik. (@airbum) Doesn't look like there is much to do on your "hybrid".

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Well gents, the decals actually went on without too many words and relative ease. A layer of matt followed, and in a minute a new update will appear here!
    thanks for the comments @fiveten and @gblair

• Profile Photo

Details

A few more details got added today

With a few moments to spare, the “109 MkVb” got up on its legs today!

Oh, and the masks went off. It looks a lot better that way.

The resin propeller also got some attention today, but paint will have to wait until I get a day off again.

A few brush-strokes here and there – Valejo metals and Tamiya greys.

Hopefully I will be able to finish it next week-end (and a by that get a build-box vacant for another build ) – stay tuned

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Looks great, my friend @airbum.
    That resin prop looks super!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros (@fiveten). I actually did head for a mess-up as I found the blades were too thick at the root (yes, I did dry fit them a few times) and set out thinning them to fit. After thinning the first, I found that it was actually too loose! The other two blades were duly left alone and all three were superglued in place. Actually rather easy with the tip-tool supplied to make the right angle, one at a time. At least I am happy with the fit and look of it now, and when my 6 days of 10hour shifts are over I will get it painted (10 hours and 1½hour drive each way does not leave a lot of modeling time). Fingers crossed for your first day in the new job tomorrow my friend!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

This has been an awesome build, Erik (@airbum), that is getting close to the end. Not much left to do. Then we can find out what new build will go in your empty build box.