Messerschmitt Bf 109E-1, 1/48, Legion Condor, Spain FINISHED

Started by Erik Gjørup · 85 · 3 years ago · 1/48, airbum, Bf109, Bf109E-1, Eduard, Emil, halfworks, Legion Condor, Messerschmitt, quarterscale
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

I prefer physical stores too, @airbum, like the sweet minuscule hobby shop in my town!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 10 months ago:

I was just on the Hannants website and I noticed a new set of decals for the 109F-2 in Spanish colors from a company called Attitude Aviation. They also have various resin sets and decals for the Buchon. Sadly they are all in 1/32.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

@gblair, Attitude Aviation was AFAIK affiliated with SBS-Model, and the same set is available in 1/48 from SBS-model;

https://av8.dk/haldvaerk.html#!/sbs-model/products/messerschmitt-bf109f-i-spansk-tjeneste-148

Actually I have been going through my line of "build soon" kits, and there is a Zvezda F-4 that I have started pre-painting a very long time ago. That will be the perfect candidate for such a set of decals. It seems there was some differencies and AA left SBS, taking the copyright to the Buchon with them. Fortunately SBS has made a Tripala (see my build far down the "in-progress" line)

• Profile Photo

I just went to the SBS website and they have all sorts of cool stuff. The full line is also available from Hannants and the SBS Store on Ebay. I put in my first order for some stuff. Thanks for the info.

• Profile Photo

@gblair - we are looking forward to more 109's 🙂

Anyway, another progress post comin' right up!

• Profile Photo

Now, I can’t spot the spot

Last time I noted that a spot of black might be it for this post

Not so – I had these vinyl masks that I wanted to try for painted markings. In preparation, the wingtips were painted white, as were the outer half, in preparation for the white crosses.

I used the old Humbrol 22 I had, and the freshly cleaned airbrush.

That all went well, and then it would be a dream to mask and paint black.

Well the wingtips was just a matter of masking tape, and then the masks.

My first use of vinyl masks for markings (I have used them once for a canopy, (the Mölders F-1).

With the mask made up of 8 parts for each mark I spent a lot of time for the first one seen here. The next ones I just put a strip of maskingtape on top, and then eased the masks off the backingpaper.

It may just be me needing more experience, but I found it not at all easy, and I haven’t even started painting yet.

next up I’ll be in tears – or one big happy grin? Stay tuned to find out!

• Profile Photo

I can say I look at extreme quality job, @airbum.
    Bring it on, my friend!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

I am slipping, as this one has passed under my radar... and it's an amazing build ! You have a very keen eye for attention to all the small details. This is what sets your 109 builds apart from the rest. Looking good Erik. @airbum

Really good... I'm looking forward to seeing your next installment.

• Profile Photo

The sand color looks really cool against the Spanish insignia in the SBS decals. I have been thinking about using masks for the insignia on some of the 1/32 planes that I build. Looking forward to seeing how they look after you get them all painted.

• Profile Photo

Most kind gents.
    @fiveten, Spiros, WILLCO
    @lgardner, Louis you may want the radar re-calibrated, as the 109 does not have any stealth coating. Glad you like the 109's
    @gblair, George, That SBS is wispering in my ear too - will have to consider when one of my buildboxes get vacated (or I may buy or build some more buildboxes)

I will try to get something done in the evenings, but just got extra shifts this weekend, so no day off anytime soon. Perhaps I have to make a workbench at work? Then the planes can just take up holding while I glue parts...

• Profile Photo

Ended up in tears

- and I haven’t even removed the masks yet!

Clever me decided to give it a thin layer of white to keep the black from creeping under the masks.

First, the majority of the masks were removed

And the white crosses were secured with an additional strip of vinyl.

Then a quick layer of Tamiya White Primer from the can, and as it is quickdrying I moved on to black.

As it turned out the places that had the most of the white, crazed a lot.

The parts that only got a whiff were OK

And so, back to the drawing board.

The primer is just that – it etches into the surface (AND enamels), and should never ever be used for anything else. You may have been there, but for those that haven’t had the brilliant thought yet - DON’T.

Well, I shall let it dry out and then I have to get back up. . .

now, where did I park that horse?

• Profile Photo

France!

A parcel has arrived

And amongst other goodies:

Decals for not one, but TWO French 109’s (oh, and a 262, and a 110)

With these in hand it will soon be time for one more 109

There were mention of circle cutters in another build, and I thought I would show you the one I have

It is a bit wobbly, of Japanese manufacture and re-packaged by a Canadian supplier. It is not expensive, but in my opinion it may be better to pay for a proper tool. I have had varying success in using this one, even though I may have to admit it could be my own fault entirely. I shall be running a few testcuts and then decide if I will order an expensive one (found one online that looks great)

now, that was the result of the votes – I have to build both a Legion Condor and a French captured 109, and as a bonus I might get to build two French 109’s – and I do have other Legion Condor 109’s in the stash- oh, well, I’m stalling for time here, gotta get that sanding stick moving

• Profile Photo

Admit it, my friend @airbum: 109s and you is an everlasting passionate and uncontrollable love affair!
    You will never have enough 109s "built", or "in progress", or "awaiting extras", or "SoDed"!...
    ...which is fine, or, I would say, great!
    So bring them on!
    Your works are spectacular!

• Profile Photo

Erik (@airbum), I share your frustration with cutting circles. I have tried a couple of cutters to cut circles in various materials and found it a frustrating endeavor. I am always attracted to the idea of cutting a circular mask for painting wheels or making my own markings, but it never seems to come out as well as I might hope. I have the best luck using a plastic drafting template used to draw circles and I simply use my Exacto around the inside of the chosen size circle. Still have variable results. Let us know when you come up with something more reliable.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, now you say loveaffair - I might lay claim to it being an addicted person, also called a 109aholic.

@gblair, gave the cheap circle cutter a try yesterday, and cut some masks for the black areas in tape. One needed to be moved and tore the black paint off. Now, that cannot be blamed on the cutter, but I have to admit they were not super. I may go for the plastic template, but a perfectly good excuse to buy a new toy, isn't that the best option? I think so 🙂