Messerschmitt Bf 109 F-4, Spanish AF, Zvezda 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 101 · 2 years ago · 1/48, airbum, Bf109, Friedrich, halfworks, Messerschmitt, Morón, quarterscale, Spain, Spanish AF, WWII
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Thank you Spiros my friend (@fiveten).
    I will let the LqS cure at least till tomorrow, and then give it a go with a knife. The Zvezda plastic is a bit strange, at first no sign of clue working, then it goes all soft in a large area, so care is needed. I have found that Tamiya Thin glue has trouble with the plastic, and usually just use the good old Revell Contacta for assembly.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Was not aware of this technique, but it looks promising.
    Looking forward to the result, Erik.

• Profile Photo

John (@JohnB) thanks for tuning in. The LqS trick is also used by Louis (@lgardner) and Spiros (@fiveten), and they have both turned it into a neat everyday trick in their builds and I am simply copying. Another method as mentioned elsewhere on iModeler (I think it was Allan (@kalamazoo) that mentioned it) is to use some sort of solvent (Thin glue?) and a piece of sprue and a brush and then brushing the sprue, transferring the thus liquified sprue to the recieving object. That is another method I shall have to try one day.

Keep these tricks comin' guys!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 6 months ago:

I have tried using liquid sprue before, but have had mixed results. I probably use too much of it and it softens the underlying plastic, making for an even larger repair. Interested to see how it comes out, Erik (@airbum).

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Hello Erik, @airbum
    I am very pleased to see you using LqS ! My first batch was too thin, so I added more plastic scraps and was very happy with it the second time around. I think that George @gblair
    is right on the money, as it could soften the plastic if too much was used. Spiros @fiveten
    also uses it for assembly on occasion. This stuff is best shaped with a file or razor blade to get it close, and then sanding is so much easier.

Your a 109 building machine ! Love it... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Klavs Nielsen said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Glad my old Humbrol pot is in good use Erik @airbum. I haven’t used the LqS in this way - just mixing some scraps with drops of glue on a piece of cardboard - but I will certainly try this one!

Thanks to Louis (@lgardner) and Spiros (@fiveten) for sharing these tricks with Erik. Keep on sharing those tricks!

• Profile Photo
    Klavs Nielsen said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Glad my old Humbrol pot is in good use Erik @airbum. I haven’t used the LqS in this way - just mixing some scraps with drops of glue on a piece of cardboard - but I will certainly try this one!

Thanks to Louis (@lgardner) and Spiros (@fiveten) for sharing this trick with Erik. Keep on sharing those tricks!

• Profile Photo

George (@gblair), I think my mix is a bit on the thin side, just as Louis (@lgardner) experienced, and the method described by Klavs (@klavs1972) would be great for a here-and-now job. I have been at it again this evening on the Ha-1109, an update on that one will follow soon.

Louis, I think mine is a bit on the thin side too, it takes ages to dry!

Klavs, judging from the pricelabel it must be what?, 15 years old? rather impressive really.

• Profile Photo

Radiators corrected, LqS sanded

The radiators on the F had a “bypass” to create less airresistance

In a rather well made way the Friedrich had a channel to make air flow through the radiator housing when the radiator was closed, minimizing the resistance of the radiators. That meant that the radior had an airduct at the top front end, and an opening in the upper radiatorflap trailing edge

I filed the top of the front to depict that – though most will say it is absolutely not needed on a model, it is all the small details that makes the build worth it for me.

I had smeared on some LqS here and there, and today it was sanded with a coarse stick first, then a medium. There were some rather pronounced sinkmarks that needed to be dealt with

And as can be seen a second round is the order of the day. More LqS added, back to the box to set, then it may be some flaps/slats/ailerons next

Feel free to comment on the lunatism of the corrections – I never claimed to be normal 🙂

• Profile Photo

Flaps and ailerons

Even though the LqS hadn’t dryed fully, I decided that a push was in order to get it ready for primer

And so some masks and flaps and stuff got into play. Zvezda will for some reason have the radiatorflaps closed and the flaps up. I had to open the radiator flaps

With a little help from a knife and LqS and a few hours in a jig –

they were persuaded to open. And after masking the engine and windows I glued all the parts in place

In order to mask the hole for the roof antenna, I cut a used cocktailstick and inserted it

As luck would have it, it had the perfect height to keep the tail airborne when inverted.

Of course that also means it is at present a nosesitter! (no worries, that is about to change once the gear is in place and the holdfasts are off)

And with the weekend approaching there may even be time for some more modeling the next few days

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

I love all these small details/corrections, my friend @airbum! In fact, it's those things that boost my motivation and make me eager to proceed with my models!
    Seems that you 've gotten the LqS feel!
    Nice progress!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 6 months ago:

That's great progress, Erik @airbum
    As said by Spiros, so much details does indeed make a modeller's live happy.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Gents
    Spiros (@fiveten), happy to inspire. The latest version of my LqS was a bit thick, and I have thinned it again. Better, but still not perfect.
    John (@JohnB) I aim to please 🙂
    I'm off to prime a few things - stay safe.

• Profile Photo

Primetime

And primer has been airbrushed

With all the major assembly in place it was off to the paintshop for some Tamiya primer.

As usual I had some difficulty, but having used up the first batch, I made the second one a lot thinner, and that did the trick

The split-opening radiatorflap will need some cleanup and more scribing

but all in all it looks OK

Some minor subs got a spray as well

The propeller is commendably thin, and just needs a little cleanup and seamremoval to look good.

next up - ? Stay tuned

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Nice Prime Time, my friend @airbum!
    Prime Time is also the intro song of Alan Parsons Project "Ammonia Avenue" beloved LP (...not a relevant modeling info, apart from the fact that I frequently listen to this amazing album as I model 🙂 )