Messerschmitt Bf 109 F-4, Spanish AF, Zvezda 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 101 · 2 years ago · 1/48, airbum, Bf109, Friedrich, halfworks, Messerschmitt, Morón, quarterscale, Spain, Spanish AF, WWII
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Yep - LqS is here to stay! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Still surprises me how good you guys are at using LqS.
    Up to the painting, Erik.

• Profile Photo

John (@JohnB), it is really piece of cake to make and use LqS. I just had to thicken my mix once, and it works like a charm. I think some of the thinner may vapourise, and more glue/thinner will have to be added at one point. In reality it comes down to the size of the glass and how tight the lid fits. It is a lot better at many things than filler in my opinion, so you just go on and experiment!

• Profile Photo

Farbton 63 that is

With the painting full steam ahead today, the F-4 got a few patches of Farbton 63. I had forgotten all about the patch of LqS but saw it when I had loaded the airbrush.

Lady luck was with me, and it is in an area that does not have any 63, so I went ahead anyway. The belly had been masked earlier, and as this was the first of 3 colors to the top, it was freehand unmasked painting.

Now I have to wait for the paint to be extra dry as I have to scrabe and sand the LqS patch. Stay tuned for the next color! I think it will be very interesting, at least when the 3rd one is painted and the masks comes off

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Looks really good, Erik (@airbum). The decals will really stand out on this paint scheme.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Good progress, Erik.

• Profile Photo

Thank you gents. Another update shortly @gblair and @JohnB

• Profile Photo

Another round of masking

I copied the guide and enlarged it to fit in order to cut masks

However I ended up with just using them as templates for tape

Ready for a trip to the paintshop.

next up it shall be painted farbton 62

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Oops! Missed the Farbton 63 posting above, my friend @airbum!
    Together with the LqS patch situation!
    I like the masking a lot and I agree with George @gblair that the decals will look amazing on this camo.
    Waiting for your painting!

• Profile Photo

Spiros my friend, the painted farbton 62 is comin up in a minute, but then it will be a long-ish wait for further progress on this build (@fiveten)!

• Profile Photo

farbton 62

with the farbton numbers on the tape it is a bit easier to hit the right places with the airbrush

It went rather well with the paint, and now it will have to not only wait to get dry, but also to have the next paint arrive! I discovered that I simply never had ordered any farbton 61 from the paint-supplier!

One of the elevators only need the first two colors, and was de-masked. The colors on the guide is a bit off the real colors to make the lines a bit more clear I suppose? – I will have to check up on the color guides I have, but I think it is close to the real world of freshly painted aircraft. They did fade rather quickly under the harsh Spanish sun.

Well, I have come to a screeching stop on this one until the paint arrives (or perhaps I shall mix my own chocolate-ish brown) be sure to tune in later!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

I see no off-colors, my friend @airbum.
    In fact, I believe it they will look amazing under the final clear coat...spot on!
    Now the bet is: how long can you resist for not making your own choco mix andproceed ? -LOL

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

For sure that those colors faded under the Spanish sun, Erik. @airbum
    I think that the paint quality at that time was not as good as today, so slightly off color is likely to occur.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Thank you gents. Indeed the correct color would have been varying, at least in Germany (I know, this one is not there), as some colors used pigments from far away places, and they had to change to pigments that could be found in their own turf. And as we all know the color changes with the light of the day. Well, as I said, some delay may be expected before the 61 is ready to be shown in all its glory - and it most certainly will be even longer before it will see full sun again.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

More paint

As mentioned elsewhere a package arrived

And in that some Farbton 61 was hiding

Only one thing to do – mask the plane

And off to the paintshop

I will let it dry for an hour and remove the tape to check it. Some touch up will be needed to the first color I know, but lets see. . .

next up perhaps a mask-free plane?