Messerschmitt Bf 109 Werke

Started by Erik Gjørup · 305 · 3 months ago · 1/48, 109, 109 werke, airbum, Bf109, Haldværk, halfworks, Messerschmitt, quarterscale
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 11 months ago:

@airbum Erik- Wow! That’s the first time I see a rato engine used on a 109 and surely it would pose a spectacular project my friend

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

You are right, Erik @airbum.
    They are definitely close enough to be called 109's.
    Looking forward to them.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 11 months ago:

@airbum Where are you buy such nice Hobby saw?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Nice stuff acquired, my friend @airbum! Looking forward to the kit evaluations!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Looking good, Erik (@airbum). I used the same decals for a Spanish 109F I just completed in 1/32 scale. I had some problems with them being a little too sticky and wouldn't move once they came in contact with the model. Spiros saved the day with his suggestion to use Future instead of MicroSet/Sol. Looking forward to the rest of the build(s).

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Hobbycraft kits are rare to find these days! Looking forward to seeing your comparison!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Ditto what Spiros said Erik @airbum. Looking forward to your comments on these kits. Does Academy do anything to embellish those old HobbyCraft molds?

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Thank you for all the comments gentlemen.
    @holzhamer also a first for me – great pictures.
    @johnb, indeed they are. @lis, send me a PM to get one.
    @fiveten, I just ordered two more. . .
    @gblair I used the 1/48 for my Ha-1109 elsewhere on iModeler, and they were not at all easy, but at least I managed to save them. @piktofix, they are – I have been looking for some time before they surfaced on an auction site.
    @eb801 a comparison coming up later, but so far, no, it is the exactly same plastic – only Academy did not take the time to remove not-needed parts, so a bit more for the spares box!

New 1/48 Emil on the market!

Yes, that’s right, one more Emil has hit the ever-growing range

A big thank you to Eric Berg who pointed me in the right direction to check out a review on hyperscale that was published last week. It is well-written and the author clearly has done his research! He points out amongst other things a small detail that has annoyed me for a long time; the mounting of the shoulder seatbelts. I took note of this the first time when going through a book on Swiss 109’s, and have been thinking of how to address this ever since.

Now wingsy has done it very nicely

As for the review, a link is here;
    http://www.hyperscale.com/2021/reviews/kits/wingsyd507reviewbg_1.htm

Now, when will someone include the correct spadegrip for the 109E3a – and the guncock pulls on the instrumentpanel – and the morse-key – and the flares in the aft fuselage – and the radio handles – and the correct wing guns for the Oerlikon in swiss service – oh, well, plenty of things for the avid scratchbuilder – but at least now, one issue has been addressed – good stuff!
    Next up I may get on with a review of how to improve / compare the Academy / Hobby Craft Mezek and Buchon

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Amazing to see new, definitely improved models emerging.
    Thanks for that info, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo

C-210 / S-199

The Jumo-engined 109 initially were designated C-210

That later gave way to the S-199 designation, and the Hobby Craft kit calls it just that. While the AVIA factory gave name to the type, it was also manyfactured by Aero.

The faults of the late 109’s (narrow undercarriage being the major issue) were increased by the huge propeller for the He-111 adapted to this plane. The full story is described elsewhere, so lets get on with the kit;

Fuselage and small items are a bright grey, and as a consequence of its time, rather hefty in detail compared to todays kits.

The wings are in one, no moving parts or open radiators here, but the service hatches are located correctly.

There is an oilcooler included that is not needed for the markings used – it was only on early planes, and the markings in the box are for later planes.

The transparancies are nice, but of course the Falcon Vac-formed ones are a lot better.

The instrument panel is actially for a K or a Buchon, and need to be replaced!

Now, the fearless builder will not tolerate some of the omissions, so what to do? Bring out the Eduard kits! As some may know, I hold plenty stock of eduard overtree whiteboxes, and a 109G10 and a Mersu boxing were opened for comparisons. The G10 is needed for the wing, the G6 for the fuselage!

Fuselages

When holding the fuselage sides against each other it is impressive how close they are!

The difference is really all in front of the seat, leading me to think a combination will be possible?

The Hobby Craft fuselage has, apart from the K panel, fuses from a “Kurfyrst” too, and I do not think that is correct. Of the 534 c/ns delivered only c/n 178 survives in Europe, and one (possibly two) in Israel. 199.178 has the G fusebox, and it is most likely the others do too.

The rear wall / backseat is too steep.

This is long enough for now, so I’ll come back later with another post with more on the wings and the Buchon

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 10 months ago:

This is quite the 109 factory, Erik. I built a few of those Hobbycraft 109s when they were new and was pretty pleased with them. I did the Hobbycraft Israeli Avia too.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 10 months ago:

@airbum
    Erik I see you purchased (or planning so) the Wingsy kit we talked about awhile ago.
    The shoulder belts for the pilot shows the level of research those guys put on the kit, for many (yours truly included) it was a discovery, and a good one mind you! I’m counting on your opinion about the kit since I hope to buy one or two later on

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 10 months ago:

@airbum
    Erik I see you purchased (or planning so) the Wingsy kit we talked about awhile ago.
    The shoulder belts for the pilot shows the level of research those guys put on the kit, for many (yours truly included) it was a discovery, and a good one mind you! I’m counting on your opinion about the kit since I hope to buy one or two later on

• Profile Photo

Thanks @j-healy. they are very nice kits for their age John!
    @holzhamer, I have not actually bought a kit, but I was so impressed by what I saw after a PM from Eric Berg told me about it. It is on the list for sure!

Now, re-visiting the Emils here;

A bit more about 109E-3a

As mentioned a few posts back, the E-3 Ausland did have some differencies

The cockpit had a retaining strap to the shoulderstraps

And a spadegrip

The Oerlikons in the wing had a “naked” barrel protruding, something I still have to see in a kit (the wingsy kit mentioned earlier have the “jacketed” barrels on the sprue, though they are not used on a E-1, so more versions can be expected)

The preserved one in Dübendorf also sports Oerlikons, and the panel is very different from other export Emils – see the small leather balls?

next up I shall be back on the S-199 / Buchon saga

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Great information, Erik. @airbum
    The fabric in the wheelwell, is that used for protection?
    And was that used in the field as well.