Messerschmitt Bf 109 Werke

Started by Erik Gjørup · 305 · 3 months ago · 1/48, 109, 109 werke, airbum, Bf109, Haldværk, halfworks, Messerschmitt, quarterscale
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

The "next pair" of builds looks like evolving to a triplet of builds (?), my friend @airbum.

Well, since there cannot be too many 109s in progress within the 109 Gjørup Build, it is still even better.

I have to say that I am deeply amazed by the "esoteric" aura of the above kits. Issues aside (which are a piece of cake for you to fix), they have really impressed me. How can one resist building them?...

Regarding the misspellings, nothing beats the early (or not that early...) Trumpy expressions, like the infamous "prepeller" !

Of course, waiting in anticipation.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 8 months ago:

You are starting to influence everyone with your 109s, Erik (@airbum). I have a 109C and a 109G sitting near the head of the build line.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Yep Spiros - but beware, there may be more than three in the end - just sayin!
    George, I will be looking forward to your 109's when they reach the bench!

One more look in the boxes comin' right up @fiveten and @gblair;

• Profile Photo

what’s in the box

A closer look inside some of the boxes

Sprue
    The sprues are the same in the AMG and DoraWings kits, and only AMG will be depicted here, the differences being highlighted later on.

The main parts

It is the Modelsvit parts on the left, AMG (DoraWings) on the right

The major small parts sprues

For each there are two major sprues for this, again Modelsvit left and AMG/Dora on the right

Other stuff in the boxes

There are a few other items in the boxes, like masks and etch-parts. Lets check them out;

Modelsvit first, then AMG

The Modelsvit is a bit smaller, but that is down to the plastic being a bit more detailed I think

Other parts in the box include those dreaded vinyl tires for AMG, and AM parts may be needed.

In the Modelsvit there is a small plastic sprue for the covers over the swiss oerlikon MG’s

This is it for now - next up some “glass” and decals and more small parts

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the tour of the boxes, Erik (@airbum). I have both kits, but have never taken a good look at the parts. Have you decided on paint schemes?

• Profile Photo

The stories emerging from the Messeschmitt Bf 109 Werke surpass the wildest modelling imagination, so I expect the unexpected in here, my friend @airbum!
    Also, borrowing our friend' s George @gblair words, "Thanks for the tour in the boxes'!

• Profile Photo

Thank you for the comments gents - they are appreciated.

George, the kits are very different in their approach to how-to, and so far the scale tips toward the Modelsvit kit, and the one I got was actually cheaper and with more decal-options, but I shall go into a full build on all three (There is a DoraWings too, but same trees as AMG) But no decisions on colors as of now - there are some really nice options, but with all three having a Legion Condor, at least one of them might be an early one from there.

Spiros, happy to give the old imagination-cells a kick 🙂

• Profile Photo

Clear parts and decals

Let’s take a look at the clear parts and decals – and some resin

AND I will show the differences in the Dora Wings box!

The clear parts

Modelsvit has the option of open or closed hood – very nice option!

decals

The decal sheets reflects the options available as one could expect, Modelsvit on the left, AMG on the right

AMG is mostly b/w but with a very nice decal for Olympic medal winner markings on a Condor 109.

Here they are compared to show the two interpretations on a Legion Condoe marked 6.79

White centers are thinner in the Modelsvit decals but their black cross on the rudder is thicker than the AMG offering

So if you want many options in one box, Modelsvit is the one, if you just want a few options in a box AMG has several different boxings of the same kit.

Do not confuse the drawings on the AMG boxes with the contents though – they are merely displays of other box options!

Dora Wings

The parts in the Dora Wings box is mostly the same as in the AMG. (The DW kit is offered at £25 or less online, AMG with less parts at £45 or more – that is an easy choice for me)
    This kit is packaged as a 109 A/B, while the two others are D, and some differences are to be found just for that, even though the B and D are not all that different. First up, the propeller for the early planes were a wooden one, and for that DW has a separate sprue

There is also the different upper cowl on the sprue.

Lots of Resin parts

Apart from the same parts as in AMG there are some nice wheels to replace the vinyl ones.

Etched fret

Including a acetate sheet for dials and REVI

And finally an overview

All in all very nice contents, and cheaper too!

next up some assembly may take place – no promises, and when it will be nobody knows

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the tour, my friend @airbum! Those resin wheels look very nice!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Erik (@airbum). I have both kits, but I don't remember the prices being so different. I just finished some reading on the Condor Legion, and I want to move an early Condor Legion 109 close to the top of the build list.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 8 months ago:

This is a great post @airbum, I almost missed the thread but I'm hooked now buddy! I caught it by coincidence in the "worth checking..." thread. Keep 'em coming. I am in Vienna now, Wiener Neustadt is around the corner, there used to be Me-109 factory there (WNF = Wiener Neustaedter Flugzeugwerke). When I first read the title of this thread, I thought you planned a dio of this assembly hall. Make it 200x Zvezda kit buddy! Great work out there on this thread!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 8 months ago:

I’m not sure how I ended up here, but I just want to compliment you on your great collection of Bf109 builds and the tour info you provide. Hope that Modelsvit kit goes smoothly for you. I’m impressed with their kits so far but they do seem to need a little love and extra care.

• Profile Photo

Thank you for the nice comments and info gents - I appreciate it all.
    Spiros (@fiveten) don't they just! - they need a little cleanup, byt how they make those spokes keeps me speculating.
    George (@gblair) the prices may be more equal normally - I actually paid just 14£ for the modelsvit - a real bargain! Fingers crossed that your early Condor 109 moves closer by the minute 🙂
    Michel (@michel-verschuere), welcome aboard. I have been pondering about some 109 109's, but not all the same 🙂 There will be some WNF builds with the differences they had from others, like an early F with square intake and other stuff - one day. . .
    Eric (@ec801), You are most welcome aboard. I am rather looking forward to build all these, and I think they will equally challenging to build.

Now, be warned that as soon as I get a direction on the kits, they will have their own thread - the Zvezdas has both moved to their own as I have found out what they will be, and the same will apply to these three.

Now, my vacation is over, and it is back to the saltmines tomorrow (actually airconditioned saltmines - that will be a treat after the hottest and dryest 14 days in Danish history) and it may be a little ore sporadic what I get to build, but I shall try to keep keeping on.

• Profile Photo

Schwarzgrün

Straying off the early 109’s

Well, today I went to the spraybooth for some matt clear on a few other projects, and as I was on a roll, I thinned a few drops of Xtracolor RLM70 and painted a few propellers

They are for my pile of spares. Eduard does include three different propellers in their F/G kits, and as I had a filling and filing session one day I decided to improve on a few of the spares for possible future use. They got thinned and primed and has taken up space ever since, but now they will have to cure and then they go into the “prepared spares” boxes – one of the advantages of building a lot of the same over a considerable timespan.

The legion Condor Emil got some matt for its nose too

• but that is another matter and not really related to this topic.

Stay tuned for the next stray post here. Comments are as usual welcome

• Profile Photo

Hi, my friend @airbum!
    I like the look of the propellers (three different types?) and also the Emil matt.