Messerschmitt Bf109 E-3a, Yugoslavia, Airfix 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 14 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Airfix, Bf109, Yougoslavia
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Relaxing with an (almost) OOB 109

In order to get a build done fast, I bought the Airfix Emil. The plan is to get it done fast(?) and OOB(?)

OK – things are taking a turn at the beginning. Having been spoilt by eduard 109’s the Airfix item is a bit simple and somewhat lacking in detail. Not that it is a bad kit, it is just not an expensive kit.

First off, I had a resin seat from SBS-model, relatively inexpensive, but looks a million. And it comes in a 2-pack. The handle on one of them had broken, and so it was used for this build.

The office came along fast, and testfitting took place.

Some minor fit-issues were relatively easily rectified.

This time I tried brushing Testors acrylic, and the instruments were the kit-decals that got a treat of micro-sol/set

Decals fitted nicely

With the spares-box well stocked with eduard items a pair of 109G belts were cut to fit the Emil seat.

Getting along nicely.

next up will be major assembly, as the camera was unable to follow the fast progress!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Looks good, Erik. I think you will find that this kit will build up into a fine kit. I have built several of the new Airfix kits, and they seem to get better and better, and look fine when complete.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Thanx George. I am having a spot of trouble liking the plastic - a bit soft for me, but as I still has the "L" sign on and mostly done Eduard and Tamiya so far it is all part of the fun!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Closer to to roollout!

With the camera having trouble following the progress, the Ea is more or less assembled

Standing on its own legs!

Some putty has been added here and there, some of it due to my own clumsiness in this accelerated build.

The office before closing time

The decal instruments look clumsy up close, but are rather convincing under the hood I think (hope)

Paint Mk.1

First layer of RLM71 (Xtracolor) – RLM65 were added to the belly of the beast first.

next up – probably finished paint, and maybe even decals?

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Really coming along. Looking forward to the Yugoslavian markings.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Up close and personal?

Decals comin’ on – and fooling around with my Olympus TG4 pocketcamera

Having said that I did have trouble with the quality of the kit (and admitted it is great compared to the price 🙂 ) I think it may be in order to express my high regard for the decals!

All the pictures here have been taken with the TG4 in “Macro”-mode and the addition of a flash-ring that just channels the LED-light to a ring around the lens.

Now, that is some AWESOME decals, and if I had taken some more time with the build, it would have been a great model. But alas – I wanted a OOB quick build. . . I am however pleased with the result so far.

On the subject of cameras, the TG4 has been superseded by a new TG5 some time ago, and these days Olympus is launching a TG6. The TG series are waterproof (used mine for some underwater in salty waters) and built to take abuse! They cost far less than an iPhone, so next time you want to replace your iPhone, don’t – get a TG-something instead. They easily replace a more expensive camera. Ouch – drifted from the subject – sorry. I rest my case on the Camera.

next up post will presumably be the finished model

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Cool job so far. It's really interesting to see Royal Yugoslav 109s carrying Me109 titles on their tails, as Me designation came into being only in the second half of the war and these were delivered pre-war.

Glycol/voda 50/50 means a 50/50% mix of glycol and water for engine boost.
    The decal where you labeled that film is invisible actually has a spelling mistake - instead of VARDUH it should read VAZDUH - the hole stencil reads AIR FOR THE COCKPIT.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Coming along great. Looking forward to the major decals.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Last post!

Decals added and the plane had a layer of clear matt

With all the decals added (they worked like a dream!) the plane has received a coat of matt (Tamiya acrylic)

And with that this topic is at its end – next post will be in the headlines, after all the last details has been taken care of.

Thank you all for comments on this build. Regarding the Me, I believe that that was actually the designation used by BFW for export planes, the Bf being a RLM designation.

Been a great little speed build, at least it was a speed build for me, trying to keep mods to a minimum was a bit tough, but I think I managed? Now I only have to get the last details done, and then out in the sun to get some pictures of it for the headlines

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Paint and decals look great, Erik. I don't recall ever seeing these markings on a plane.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Thanx George. It was actually the markings that made me buy this kit as it looked "off the beaten track" to me - I have to say apart from being a product within its pricerange, the kit is OK - but the decals are a real joy to use - highly recommended for just that!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Exchange of Decals / Kits / stuff

Would there be any interest in exchange of "overflow" items? If so, should it just be a topic in the "General Modelling" group or should it be a new group to keep things apart.

Personally I would like to add a few of the Airfix 1/48 109E decals for the Yugoslavian version to my stash if anybody might have some they are unlikely to use (the AM sets usually do not include the correct stencils). And on the other hand I have a few kits (Skyray in chromed version is one that springs to mind) I am unlikely to ever build that might have a better home in someone elses stash. I'm thinking it should be on exchange basis, not selling stuff, that is better done elsewhere.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 11 months ago:

I think there are some established groups that might fit what you want to do. I'm not sure how frequently they are used. Check in the "Groups" tab.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Great build, simple is good. Excellent macro fotography too. Do a Yugoslav Hurricane, three color camo-hmmmm