Messerschmitt Bf109 F-4 ”14” of Hans Joachim Marseille, eduard 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 45 · 4 years ago · 1/48, Bf109, Eduard
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Decals really make a difference!

• Profile Photo
    Don Mk1a said 4 years, 9 months ago:

They certainly do, George. Recalling is one of my favourite processes.

Erik, I just realised that you are painting with Enamels. Did you try acrylic and go back to enamels, or have you stuck to the old paints throughout?

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 9 months ago:

George - thats the truth 🙂
    Don - I had a short spell with acrylics, but had a hard time cleaning the airbrush, cloggin and stuff (Valejo), and as I had some very old Humbrol, I tried this - with satisfying results. I got introduced to x-tracolor, and liked the results. Recently I tried out some testors that seems to work well, but it appears they are being discontinued? - I have later found Tamiya thinned with IPA may work for me too. I have built a dedicated spraybooth, and usually wears a coal-filter mask for enamel/thinners. Hope that helps you on your path?

@plasteekgeek, @gblair

• Profile Photo

And I did manage to finish the decaling tonight! - now some cleaning up and on to some gloss clear followed by fine sanding, and depending on the quality, maybe one more coat before final matt coat, and then detailing - I will be away and on other duties at home for the next week or two, so the decals should be able to settle properly. I hope to get the first coat of clear done next week - sorry no pictures today.

• Profile Photo

I too failed to get Vallejo through an airbrush. It was a difficult task getting it out again too. Tamiya does spray well and is widely available which is a bonus. There's a lacquer thinner available that makes it even better but it's hard to find in UK.

I haven't sprayed enamels for years but I'm thinking about it. It looks good on yours but there are one or two places where it appears a little thick.I guess that was the orange peel incident you mentioned.

• Profile Photo

Don, I think just about everything needs thinner for an airbrush!? Tamiya has started a range of spraybottles, but having tried that (see my Opel Blitz elsewhere) I shall stick to the airbrush. Maybe you can decant the spray for airbrush use, but that just increases the cost I think.

The thick enamel is purely my mistake - too eager to get a covering layer in one go, as opposed to making two-three thin layers with thinned paint. All part of the learning process 🙂

• Profile Photo

I think it's very difficult for a long time brush painter to accept the level of thinning needed to get paint through an airbrush. I took years! When I finally did catch on that thick paint was the cause of all my frustrations it was like waking from a nightmare. Orange peel, runs, splatter, tip drying, sandpaper finish, clogging, cleaning issues, all went away as if by magic.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 9 months ago:

After using nothing but lacquers for years, I almost gave up modeling when it became tough to find anything other than acrylics. It took me years to get semi-comfortable using acrylics and I still have problems sometimes. I can get consistent results with Tamiya, but I still struggle with others, especially Vallejo. I really like the new AK Real Colors, which are a hybrid acrylic-lacquer. The paint and thinner only have a very small odor, especially compared with the old lacquers. Whatever you choose, nothing substitutes for practice with the airbrush and paint to get proficient. Erik, it looks like you have had plenty of practice since your paint always looks great!

• Profile Photo

Thank you for the kind remark George, but really, I am still learning - not least to control that darned "get-there-itis". I am proud to say that I am on the mend though. Fingers crossed!

@gblair

• Profile Photo

Drama!

Not really related to this build – that part is resting and awaits cleaning, clear, sanding matt clear and detailing, so all is well – however there IS a connection;

A while ago I ordered the Ha-1109 resin-kit from SBS-model, and he was so nice to send the kits before going on holiday, so that I could have them in my shop before everybody else! Alas the postman intervened. First, german ZOLL kept the parcel for inspection, then the local post decided they would not leave the parcel on my doorstep (even though they have done that lots of times before) , and then. . . . the parcel disappeared into thin air.

The short version is that today I was able to drive a few miles and pick up the parcel.

How in the world does that connect to “Yellow 14”? – well, in the kit you have decals to make a version of the Ha-1109 used in a German film about The Star of Africa (maybe an item for Davids groupbuild iModeler at the movies)
    Now, some pictures;

Sorry for this intermission on this build – I am just so pleased to have the resin-kit here!

Now, where did I put that Tamiya 109?

I need some air

OK – I’ll stop for now, and next up, some more on the 109 F-4 build

sorry for the ad style posting, but the kit will be available at hannants and modellbay-koening rather soon – I just got it first 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 8 months ago:

The pressure is on

Short update (without pictures - sorry); As I have been pressed at work and taking a trip to the alps to check out the 109 at Dübendorf I finally got around to matt clear yesterday evening. Also tried to fix the undercarriage with Cyano - worked like a treat!

Of course a set of eduard seatbelts were added, and then I realised that the hood does not have a single drop of paint on it! Tonight I will not be able to do any work on it, and that leaves Friday evening and perhaps early saturday morning before it gets gift-wrapped for the table saturday afternoon!

Fingers crossed..

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Congratulations in advance for the miss, Erik, nice thread you organized here!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Sorry that you had to give up time working on your model to go to the Alps. (I'm kidding) :o) I suspect that a lot of us would like to give up some modeling time to go to the Alps. Your decals look painted on, which is the idea, of course. Did you ever tell us how many 109s you have completed?

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 8 months ago:

It's been a little while since I have checked in on this build... You have made some wonderful progress.

Thanks for translating the warning on the side of the fuselage for the pilot's breathing air. I have often wondered what it said there.

It's actually a fire hazard to lubricate shut off valves when dealing with oxygen.

Your decal work is very impressive (as is the entire build). They do indeed look painted on...

I like your idea to make another 109 for the Imodeler at the Movies GB. The Star of Afrika would be perfect. Go for it. Those resin parts look very nice.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Finished – two days late. . .

Now, better late than never? – she got her Bf 109 F-4 on her birthday, albeit not entirely finished. . .

Well – that only meant that she had a say in the last finishing touches, and even got to help out with the troublesome antenna. And then out in the sun for a photoshoot!

First some admiring looks on the bench

Niiiice

And out in the sun – not on a silver platter, but on a mirror

(and yes – it is the nearly extinct “Tea Rex” on her tee)

Enough – here is the result:

That’s all folks

There may be a post in headlines too – thank you all for comments and advice during the build – appreciated it all!

With this build out of the way, it may take a little while before next post in the other builds underway – stay tuned on those. Thanks for watching