Messerschmitt Bf109 G-6 WNr 161742, Slowak, Eduard 1/48 FINISHED

Started by Erik Gjørup · 53 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Bf109, Eduard, Slowak uprising
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Hello Erik, @airbum
    It looks to me as if you are getting along very well with your new air brush. It's definitely the way to go with any kind of German mottling work. But like George stated, there's a good amount of skill needed to go along with the new equipment. It's not entirely the man or the machine, but a combination of both... Thanks for the update.

Happy New Year !

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Erik, been using 2 H&S airbrushes for the past 5 years or so and couldn’t be happier with any other brand as I am with them. I purchased an Iwata Neo earlier this year and it’s ok but not as fine as the H&S.
    Mottling is a technique that the more you do the better and easier it becomes...as is other things in life :-).
    I like your cockpit, I also use Quickboost gunsights, Germans and allied ones...great stuff that really enhances the pilot’s office looks

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 4 months ago:

@gblair and @lgardner, Thank you – I believe they say that it takes 10000 hours to become an expert, so have to get some more hours in the booth.

@holzhamer, see above, and yes, these QB resin parts really stand out

@ryanb, you are right – and there is a great book on the subject from “Wings of Serbia” that details the 109 in two volumes ( think I mentioned these in the two-seater posts, but they are great books, so I’ll mention them here again)

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 4 months ago:

I think my skills are growing using a different plan. I was once taking a two-hour course from a master gardener who said to be a master gardener you first had to kill a thousand plants. With that same idea, I won't be a master modeler until I have truly messed up a thousand kits. I am well on my way, but I am slowly learning not to repeat mistakes. :o)

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 4 months ago:

@gblair - George - you made my day with that analogy! Basically, by the time I finish my stash (plus a few more) I'll be proficient! Having just taken up an airbrush, I sometimes feel like I'm starting over...

Erik - loving this one as well - very cool scheme. I had just been contemplating suggesting an H&S Infinity for my birthday (late Feb), and you've convinced me it's time to do so. I started with a cheap Neo, and it's a nice learning instrument.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 4 months ago:

@gblair that is a very expensive path, but realistic. The day we stop learning from our mistakes what is there left to do? 🙂

@gkittinger - welcome aboard the 109-mania line of kits. For the H&S gift, I started by looking at shiny ad's in magazines, remembering to sigh a lot every time, and talking to my self "what a nice one that is", that did the trick - and building her favourite 109 (marseilles' "14") helped, especially pointing out what parts could be even better with a high-end airbrush. It may also have helped that I pointed out that they were sold 5 minutes walk away from her work. Should be achievable for you with a month or so till your birthday!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Getting there

With the decals on and the first coat of matt clear, the end is near

The last few days have been productive – for the first time in a while I finally got a few days at the bench. First off the decals were added over two days (making sure to give the other 109’s some attention too to keep them happy)

And then off to the spraybooth to add the first layer of matt clear (tamiya acrylic)

Now it is set aside to harden for some minor sanding and another coat – there are some rather nasty ridges that needs sanding to make it look OK

next will be some of the last details, and then off to headlines?

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Getting close to the end and looking great. Where did you find the decals? Very unusual.

• Profile Photo

@gblair the decals are from a BFC kit that you can buy from eduard directly. When buying this (includes t-shirt) you become a member of their "loyality club" and get some very interesting choices now and then - AND you get to buy their "overtrees" kits, that are without instructions or decals, at a bargain. It is from the slowak uprising, and I haven't seen other decals for the two planes so marked.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Very interesting. I have seen the BFC and their cool cartoons, but never thought to join. Time to go re-examine the club. My mother's parents were from Prague and luckily came to the US in the early 30s. I am really interested to see this one complete. How many completed 109s will this be in your collection?

• Profile Photo

@gblair there are many interesting kits in the BFC range - I just purchased a 109 (surprise) that had the 200liter droptank as I need it for my two-seater (check out the "A Messerschmitt 109 for two"), and they told me it was not going to be issued as a "brassin" AM cast. As for the number of completed, it still hovers around 7 - but the end is near for some of the builds, and the total is likely to increase this spring. I have started a lot at the same time to have some proper drying time and a steep learning-curve.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Details, details

With the details to be done piling up, this is in the race to be my 11th completed 109

Decals are done, matt clear airbrushed, masks comin’ off, and getting there.

Those decals are incredible – my eyes are not really able to tell, but a close-up by camera and on the screen – that is just some great details!

The navigationlights has been shown before, but here they are again – up close they are not perfect, but in natura they are OK for me.

And it is off for some detailpainting (you may have noticed the antenna)

The oleos got a touch of Molotow Chrome pen, 1mm

If you are careful and prepare the plastic that pen is just great! – anybody know if it will last, or does it need some clear varnish of some kind?

racing against the swiss E-3a to become the 11th 109 on the shelve! Exciting isn’t it

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Sharp!

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Just found this post. By a coincidence I am build this right now, just about finished the cockpit

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Thank you @gkittinger

@blackadder57 will you be posting a work-in-progress on yours? - always good to see other builds here!