Messerschmitt Bf109F-1, Werner Mölders, eduard 1/48 FINISHED

Started by Erik Gjørup · 68 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Bf109, Eduard, Messerschmitt, mölders
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Converting an F-2 to an F-1

Be warned – this is not for normal people!

In an attempt to get into the deep end, I have decided that I want to convert an F-2 to Werner Mölders F-1. The F-1 had retained the wingroots from the “Emil”, and some surgery is needed.

I had purchased one of Eduard’s Royal Class sets, and the first planche was for Mölders’ F-1 aircraft. Eduard included some photoetch to depict the top of the root-fairing, but this is not quite right, as the small bulge from the E needs to be there too.

I decided to slaughter an entire Emil-kit just for the roots! (An overtrees-kit only – they can be bought directly from eduard) The Emil and Friedrich compared;

Now – the way forward?

As I see it one solution is to carve the Friedrich and add the Emil root, but as can be seen from the above that will make a large gap. Another solution is to keep the outermost part of the Friedrich’s fairing and slot the Emil fairing into the space carved out. Decisions decisions..

Well as seen above I took the route of both! – steep learningcurve, lots of sweat, lots of dryfitting, lots of BEEP.. – aahhh the relaxation of kitbuilding.

If I ever take on this mission again - should choose to do so - it will probably be with the entire side cut off just aft of the cockpit – maybe.. (and the I can add a quickboost luggage room – niiice)

Anyway, that’s it for now – hope you can stop shaking your heads at some point in time. Please do not try this at home as insanity is likely to set in! – Oh well – come on now DO try, it is sooo much fun.

next up will be interior

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 8 months ago:

The office – initial trials

The F-1 of course did have something similar to the early F cockpit that eduard makes

And so a seat was purchased – one of eduards resin seats from the brassin range. The rear wall from an ordinary eduard F/G was wrong for the early F, it is more like an E – and guess what, I have a kit that has been slaughtered, and the back of the cockpit was duly pressed into service.

Needs some TLC, but a lot better that the standard rear wall.

The sides are not easy to find pictures of, and so the standard F is pressed into service. I guess there might be a few differences.

Note the resin exhaust backing.

Some tape and filler, and sanding then took place

And this concludes this post.

I suppose it is a bit off the beaten track, but being a 109aholic, the series simply has to be researched and built as real as possible

next up I think I get to some more detailing done and try out an idea for the oleos!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Now this is some crazy and hazardous gambling of two fine kits Erik!

It’s first time I’ve heard about the wing roots of the F-1 being equal to the Emil versions of the 109, and it’s obviously also the first time I see this “field conversion” being attempted at any form, kitbashing or other.

Full speed ahead my friend, and besides what you’ve already identified, make sure to use a square air intake, similar also to the Emil versions, Moelders plane had those. Not sure though if the tail fasteners were present already on that very early production plane. I’m keeping an eye on this thread for sure, you will do a fine job of it

• Profile Photo

Crazy is not the word 🙂

Actually the F is from Eduards "Royal Class" that actually contains parts to convert the F-2 to an F-1. They supply etch-parts to make the "E" wingroot that gets screwed on, and you are then supposed to plaster the later fairing to make it look like the original. That is not entirely correct as the fairing over the mainspar-bolt is different.

Actually the intake on Mölders' 109 was of the round type, while other F-models, even up to F-2 had the square intake - that is another variation that I think of looking into! The external strengtheners on the tail were a later addition. Thanx for your thoughts and comments - appreciated!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 8 months ago:

I stand corrected Erik, you are absolutely right about Moelders F engine intake. For some reason in my mind that plane had the square intake, so I went to my two 109 bibles and straight my memory right. So it seems not only did the F-1 model but even the F-0 pre production machines already had the round intake.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the pictures - what book is that? - really interesting with the hole for the Walther signal pistol below the windscreen in the upper photo. (there is actually a very nice pistol in the gaspatch HS123 kit, but that will remain there, so I may have to make some myself - need one for my Swiss G-6 too) The F-0 had a slightly smaller and angled-down intake compared with the F-1. Then again, there were different factories making their interpretations, and so the research alone is just as munch fun as the builds for a 109aholic - right?

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Great work building a super-detailed kit, Erik. I suspect it is rare to find your sort of super-human patience to do this type of work.

• Profile Photo

Legs!

For the legs I try something else for the oleos

The usual route to nice legs is to use metal foil – or some of the relatively new chrome paints. Not one to shy away from making things a lot more difficult than they need to be, I decided to give them some real chrome.

First up, the legs need to be drilled to accept a chrome rod

Some thrilling drilling took place.

Sorry – the photographer forgot to document the next steps – drilling with a larger drill and gluing a chrome rod in place.

The result;

Of course one leg broke where the rod ended inside the leg, and that had to be super-glued. I have to say that I am not entirely happy with the result, the pictures being of the best leg of the two. I will see if it can be saved, or else I have spare legs, and will wander the safe trail with metal foil.

As this has been written, I continue with the cockpit, not entirely sure there are news there, and may skip that part in this log as it has been thoroughly addressed in previous logs

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Whew - glutton for punishment! But - I have to agree - wherever modeling takes you is where you are supposed to be! Enjoy the ride!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Wow! Whenever I get the drill out to do stuff like this I always end up with the side of the part blown out or a drill bit in my finger (don't ask). I usually just make do with chrome paint from a Molotow marker. You really go the extra mile on these 109s, Erik.

• Profile Photo

Thank you @gkittinger

@gblair I also have had a nice little roung dot on my finger - though that was when making a "broomstickhole" as far as I recall. The marker works just fine as the oleos tend to be hidden, and this was just to see.. - and perhaps hone my drills - sorry skills - for a day when I build a 109 in winter camo, where the lower door tends to be taken off to prevent snow/slush clogging the wheel. (I'm on a learningcurve here, so steep that I'm almost on my back 🙂 )

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Erik, @airbum

I have been watching all of your recent 109 build journals intently... and I appreciate the extra details you have done to each one. You're definitely a very knowledgeable, dedicated and talented 109 builder.

I'll be looking forward to your next installments... please keep them coming !

Thanks

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Finishing the office

The cockpit gets some TLC with some AM details and the lower wing gets a bit of attention

As mentioned before, so far no luck in tracking down pictures of the layout of the F-1, so the good old guesstimate takes over.

The Gerätetafel is the Eduard standard styrene version, with cut-out decals, with the addition of AM and scratchbuilt details.

Quickboost resin here and there.

The lower wing needs filling of the ejector-ports, as they were not on the F-model (Eduard has left out this detail in the instructions for the “royal” kit!)

The fuselage got some more sanding before assembly

With the fuselage assembled it is back into the box to harden up (might just fit a windscreen to keep the REVI safe)

With a few more hours on this one, it is off to one of the other 109’s in line

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 4 months ago:

The cockpit looks fantastic and already makes the kit come to life. The decals on the panel and the gun sight really make a big difference. I think I would go with the forward canopy to keep the gun sight from flying into the carpet.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Following along...looking great!