Messerschmitt Bf109G-4 ”Don Pedro”, Eduard 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 142 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Bf109, Bf109G4, Eduard, Romania
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Erik great work with saw man! @airbum
    That method of painting the chrome oleo seems intense…have you considered using your chrome pen on it? I’ve use it a couple of times and am pleased with the results

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Thanks for all the kind words, comments and advice.

@holzhamer, the chrome pens work very well, as long as they are relatively new. Mine had both given up and the results were awful, but as I had a refill, using that in the H&S Airbush just worked like a charm, dilluted with 50-60% isopropylalcohol. Unthinned it is too thick for my liking, creating an orangepeel effect.

The big advantage of airbrushing is you can add a large area if needed and I did paint half a wing on my paintmule with the leftovers in the airbrush, creating a very shiny wing!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 6 months ago:

@airbum
    Hey Erik, can you tell me, or show, that chrome refill stuff you mention? I had no idea that was a thing

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 6 months ago:

@holzhamer, the refill should be available where you buy your pens? I got mine the same place at a dealer in Denmark.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Thanks for all the kind words and constructive comments y’all. They are appreciated!

Gloss clear.

With the temperatures and humidity tolerable in my paintbooth, it was taken out from hibernation today, Don Pedro was one of the builds that got some attention.

Wait – what? 4 months rushed by! Well, it is high time to smoothen this one, and it got two thin layers of Humbrol Clear to seal it all.

Some orange-peel effect occurred, but nothing compared to the look of it just after I sprayed it.

I had thinned the varnish with 2 parts destilled water, and the result was rather interesting to say the least.

The gloss was left in small blobs on the surface, but I think it will be OK when it cures as I want to add a layer or two more before I add the final coat. The reason for this is that I left some huge ridges all over when I painted the plane. Lesson learned?

Sadly it is now off to fully cure before a few strokes with a super-fine sandingstick, and it will be in the box for a long time again.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

You mean 2 parts of water and 1 part of coat, could it be that the temperature of the water was a little too low, Erik @airbum
    After some cure time it will look okay I guess.
    A great looking Gustav.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Looks great already, will look spotless in the end, my friend @airbum!