Messerschmitt Bf109G-4 ”Don Pedro”, Eduard 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 142 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Bf109, Bf109G4, Eduard, Romania
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Surgery needed!

As I may have mentioned earlier, I forgot to install the MG’s in the cowling

I tried to come up with a clever plan to get them in place, but all my smart thinking fell to the ground.

To start with, some details of the work so far;

Radio room has been detailed with AM parts.

The radiator flaps has been installed

They are as mentioned earlier eduard etch parts. The gloss surfaces really catches the light! That will be over as soon as the paint gets there (yes, I should have primed and painted them before glueing them in place)

Now, deep breath and out with the saw. . . .

Trying to cut along a panelline. . .

And off it came.

The resin exhaust wells will be helpful when I glue it back on.

And with relative ease the kit MG’s are in place, Tamiys extra thin doing its bit.

Hopefully it won’t be another 10 weeks before the next progress report on this one – stay tuned and feel free to leave a constructive comment or two

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Oh no! The saw!

I hear an 1/48 FM Vautour laughing after being laughed up in the past for some "not really subtle" bastard file use!
    You were very brave, though, my friend @airbum, and you did a splendid (for the circumstances...) job!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Great progress, Erik (@airbum). This build has been going for a while. I can't tell you how many times I get near the end of a build and find something on a sprue that should already go someplace on the model that is totally inaccessible. Great job getting everything where it should go!

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents - a short update to follow any second now!

@fiveten
    @gblair

• Profile Photo

Luck follows the crazy ones

at least that is what I’m told

And I consider myself very crazy indeed!

When I got the nose sawn off, I discovered that one of the wells that will take the exhausts was not at all glued in place – in fact it only held on by the last few mm’s

Out came the CA, and a glueclamp to mend that – after the machinegun ends had been installed.

And when it all had dried just enough to stay in place, the nose was re-installed.

I used some stretched sprue to fill in the gap created by the sawblade, and now it is set aside to cure.

Phew, that was a wakeup call off some sorts – and now on to one of the other kits yelling at me from their buildboxes

• Profile Photo

So the saw operation proved to be beneficial in the end, my friend @airbum!
    Looking very sporty now!

• Profile Photo

That was a slick trick, Erik (@airbum). The nose would probably have exploded if I tried the same thing. Well done.

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents. I still need some sanding etc, but it will be for another day as I'm again off to work for a few days.

@fiveten, Spiros, I think it was a real timesaver compared to trying to install them via the ports. .

@gblair, George, if I hadn't tried this route, I would most likely have imploded, thinking and trying. .

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Well carried out approach, Erik.
    If it would occur to me, I surely would need to think twice before starting such a surgery.

• Profile Photo

Thank you John (@JohnB) - I did think hard and long - some 10 weeks it seems 🙂

• Profile Photo

Flappin’

With the nose in place, it is on to the flippin’ flaps

And time to get elevated too – well, nose down that is. Bugger.

OK, that was actually the plan – the stick is pushed fully forward!

And the ailerons have been adjusted to the correct position too

Some filler and small bits below the wing.

And as of tonight this is where it is

Major parts all in place – will have to finish up some windscreens fore and aft, most likely make and install a revi.

and next it is off to the prime shop

• Profile Photo

Looks your ground personnel had to push the stick at front left as they pushed the Bf back, who knows, to have more space upon entering the cockpit maybe?
    Anyway, great result here, and a very dynamic yet natural pose my friend @airbum.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Spiros. The idea was to depict it as just landed and pushed back, the "schwartze männer" having the panel off to service the radio - or remove the batteri?
    Nothing gets by the PFP QC group it seems @fiveten 🙂

• Profile Photo

I don't remember you positioning the flight controls in positions other than neutral, Erik (@airbum). This is something that will be noticed right away. Looks great.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Great results and ditto thoughts, Erik.