Messerschmitt Bf109G-4 ”Don Pedro”, Eduard 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 142 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Bf109, Bf109G4, Eduard, Romania
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Some laquer and some paint

the gloss parts already painted got a layer of matt

The other day I got around to one more layer of yellow, and today it had dryed enough to enable me to mask the Farbton 76 for a layer of 75.

The matt was sprayed onto the undercarriage doors and the spinner and its backplate

And it is very matt – Xtracolor matt varnish. Very happy with the look of it!

And some very thin xtracolor enamel airbrushed onto the fuselage, staying off the masking as far as I could in order to avoid too large an edge there.

I am happy with the result, even though it could be more uniform. Maybe turn down the pressure and moving a bit closer next time? Now I will have to wait quite some time before masking for farbton 74, even though the gloss xtracolor was thinned with their fast drying thinner, and almost dry to the touch after an hour.

I do not think I will bother you with more paint, so unless a zillion protests turns up, it will probably be some time before the next update on this one

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Looks good, Erik (@airbum). Paint can drive you nuts sometimes. I can mix spray a perfect finish on part of a plane, then later use the same paint, the same ratio of paint and thinner, the same airbrush with the same pressure, sprayed at the same distance, and get a totally different appearance. Sometimes it is a degree or two of temperature, or the humidity changes, or sometimes your karma is just out-of-sync with the universe. I suspect it will be fine as long as it doesn't mess up your decal application.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Absolutely no protest, Erik.
    Looking very nice.
    Better to wait a bit longer before removing the tape, it is so easy to mess up the not fully dry paint.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

No protests also from me, my friend @airbum!
    In fact a BIG like!
    Looks amazing!

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys (what I meant with the protests was that I would NOT post more progress with more paint unless protests surfaced against me NOT posting that. If protests against me NOT posting painting in progress I would post) wow - that was confusing at least for me. . . . - OK, I think I will paint the green, PERHAPS post a picture with masks off by then, and then again after mottling - oh I like mottling - such a great sport. . .

@gblair
    @JohnB
    @fiveten

But I'm off for now - perhaps masking a pair of Zvezda 109's, but then it is difficult to see if I get some time for more. We have a partial lockdown in Denmark, and I will be the only one able to get to the tower at work, so I know where I'll be for the next 4 weeks - at least. Maybe I will find something to do on some new models that I can take with me into my locked up towercab? Perhaps installing a third MG on a early 109?

(here is the proof they were there - this is an original manual on a 109B I bought recently - just saying. The picture is shown here with kind permission from the source: Luftfahrt-Archiv Hafner.)

• Profile Photo

That's clear evidence on the MG, Erik.
    Good luck in your tower.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Your right at home with the 109's Erik, and it shows with your impressive attention to details.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Great 109 stuff, my friend @airbum!
    Four weeks (at least) of armchair aviation is a nice thing...
    ...would be even nicer if you could sneak a couple of boxes (one with in progress stuff and one with basic tools plus consumables) in your tower... (No, no, I didn't say that!)

• Profile Photo

I guess being essential is full of good news and bad news, Erik (@airbum). Best wishes for your long incarceration. Hopefully you will have the time to provide your comments on iModeler. Remember to keep a window open in your tower cab is you sneak a model in. Glue and paint fumes could lead to a creative traffic pattern. On another topic, after all your research you really should build a 109 with the trio of guns.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Erik my friend, @airbum
    I have been enjoying myself catching up with reading on your multiple 109 builds. In my mind, you are THE most knowledgeable person on here when it comes to practically anything 109 related. So when it was posted by someone else that none of the Emil's had an engine mounted weapon, I too scratched my head, as I could swear I have seen pictures of several Emil 109's with the spinner removed and the center of the prop hub was OPEN for rounds to pass through. But that comment made me second guess myself...

Now I'm very happy to see you produce verifiable documentation that proves it was indeed done, just as you had mentioned.

Good luck with the recent lockdown underway. I hope that you can still manage to get some model related things taken care of. This just might be the perfect time for digging deeper into your research.
    Meanwhile stay safe... and I hope to see another installment from the Half works soon.

• Profile Photo

Thank you for all the nice cheerful, elevating comments guys. They are appreciated @JohnB, @uscusn and to reply a few of the others;

@fiveten a box may be joining me one of the days (weather on the deck today)

@gblair, sadly I am not essential, but neither are my collegues, but they live in areas that are under stricter quarantine than where I live. I think a whiff of glue and thinner might improve, but I shall follow your advice and keep a window open. As for a 3-MG 109B one is in the long line of to-do kits.

@lgardner, if I may correct you, the one depicted is the B model, not the E. The opening in the spinner of the E is there to help cool the engine (yep - there are holes in the backplates and the front of the enginecovling) I have bought a full set of all available documentation on the 109 up to the K, so I should be able to spend a few hours researching the darned kites 🙂

(apart from the documents, I recently bought a book on the Finnish 109's with a lot of interesting pictures - amongst them one that had a Venturi tube on the fuselage - small but essential detail)

• Profile Photo

75 partly done, masked for 74

With the Farbton 75 dry, I masked for 74 today

Now, this is only one more step. At least 3 more to follow

Relatively simple masking, but with room for some freehanding!

The German markings were covered with a darker Green and the sides need some heavy camo painted on, so I guess that makes it 3-4 rounds to go before gloss clear and decals – stay tuned

• Profile Photo

A lot of masking, Erik.
    Your stock of masking tape will reduce rapidly like this.

• Profile Photo

Looks great, Erik (@airbum). I think we have the same school of thought about masking everything. If I don't cover everything, then paint will almost certainly end up where it doesn't belong, no matter how careful I am.

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents.

John (@JohnB), I have been thinking about a subscription on tape - just send me a new roll like a magazine or stuff. That might make it easier to keep it in stock.

George (@gblair), even with tape I have a tendency to mess up now and then. Anyway, a new update following soon, that will see most masks gone and some freehand mottling progressing. Fingers crossed. . .