Midway 80th anniversary duo - 1:72 ArmaHobby F4F-4 Wildcat & Flyhawk SBD-3 Dauntless

Started by Sebastijan Videc · 84 · 1 year ago · armahobby, Dauntless, flyhawk, Midway, Wildcat
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @inflames!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Very nice indeed, Sebastijan @inflames

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 10 months ago:

@inflames - this is some very nice work - you're headed toward a pair of excellent results.

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Thank you very much, @fiveten Spiros, @johnb John and @tcinla Tom! Off to build the engines now, so I can attach the cowlings and add that final light weathering touches and finish the details.

• Profile Photo

I have finished both engines for the duo this week.

Wildcat's P&W R-1830 Twin Wasp is nicely done and you even have exhaust pipes at the back, although they are of same length and don't reach the front cylinder row. The electric wiring, the ring and spark plug cables are made of photo-etched parts, are extremely thin and can hardly be seen in the photo.

Dauntless' Wright R-1820 Cyclone engine is also nicely moulded, however, there is no electric wiring provided, so I created it using various diameter lead wires. Tedious work but in the end, I think it was more than worth it.

• Profile Photo

These are supreme looking engines, my friend @inflames!

• Profile Photo

Amazing looking engines, Sebastijan @inflames
    Very realistic.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Really nice looking engines, Sebastijan (@inflames). The extra work you did on the wiring will be worth the effort.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys! I am really picking up the pace now, trying to finish them ASAP and start the Il-2. I am doing a good progress but unfortunately bad luck struck and I managed to break the tip of the pitot tube on the Dauntless and have no real idea how to fix this. It is a complex shape, sort of like a hockey stick, with the tube itself circular but flattening on the wide part.

• Profile Photo

Those bad moments seem to occur at then end of a build, Sebastijan @inflames
    Do you still have the part that broke off, or do you have to build one from scratch.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 10 months ago:

You can scratch one using .010 plastic sheet, that you cut to shape. It's not hard to do (ask me how I know)

• Profile Photo

If you have the broken part and, apart from being broken, is relatively intact, you might be able to re-glue/attach it and very carefully trim the excess joint to shape, @inflames.
    Otherwise you can make one from scratch, per @tcinla 's advice.
    By the way, below is the real thing...

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 10 months ago:

I think this is fixable, Sebastijan (@inflames), providing the part didn't end up lost. Stuff like pitot tubes, machine guns, tail wheel struts, etc become magnets at the end of a build for anything that will rip them off. It seems like the handling that we do when painting, decaling, and finishing the model is destined to break something. I have this happen all the time, and have had success either gluing them back together or rebuilding it. Probably best to wait until everything else is done. Good luck.

• Profile Photo

@gblair George @fiveten Spiros @johnb John and @tcinla Tom, thank you for your words of support.

The piece that broke away is actually the front piece that Spiros showed in the photo. I wan't even aware it is flat! original piece was round (apart from that triangular fin on the top). So yeah, I guess I'll be able to redo it and even more accurately, though it is a really tiny thing in 1:72. However today I just found out, that I am missing one canopy piece! Oh boy, I guess I'll just try to finish Wildcat first and then deal with Dauntless.

• Profile Photo

Hope you will find your canopy piece, or come up with a viable solution, my friend @inflames!