Midway 80th anniversary duo - 1:72 ArmaHobby F4F-4 Wildcat & Flyhawk SBD-3 Dauntless

Started by Sebastijan Videc · 84 · 1 year ago · armahobby, Dauntless, flyhawk, Midway, Wildcat
  • Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Thank you, Spiros! I am certain the canopy is just hidden somewhere... you know, I clean the modelling desk for the new project and then just add stuff on top of stuff during the build. And now with a double build, there's much more things happening so I guess this is the result of it.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

It is likely hidden somewhere, Sebastijan @inflames
    For sure it will pop up when you least expect it.

• Profile Photo

Progress report: canopy hasn't been found yet, but haven't really started to look for either, however I accidently found the front of the broken pitot.

Here's a few shots of both aircraft with final weathering applied. I will redo the gunsmoke stains a bit.
    Oh and I modified the rear guns of the Dauntless to represent the early version as used during the battle of Midway (removed the shielding, added side mounted ammo boxes and installed a PE sight).

Wildcat

Dauntless

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Nice that you found the broken pitot, my friend @inflames!
    Both models look great!

• Profile Photo

Thank you very much, Spiros! @fiveten

I started cleaning my modelling bench a bit and picked up the Dauntless and its clear parts and guess what! I solved the mystery of the missing piece. While the Dauntless has windshield + 4 sections of canopy, I only had the later 3 and I was convinced that I am missing one. Then I started to investigate and noticed, that actually there are only 3 pieces used in the instruction manual... So I checked the parts diagram and lo and behold, there's only 3 sections! What Flyhawk did was actually using only 3 instead of 4 parts when telescopically slid into each other. Thus, they managed to enable not to thick telescopic assembly of the clear parts and truth be told, it's going to be hard to see, when they are all glued into each other, that one frame is actually missing. The largest canopy part even has one frame moulded on the interior, to simulate one of the missing frames from the part that's not there.

• Profile Photo

A good outcome, my friend @inflames!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

The weathering looks perfect, Sebastijan @inflames
    Good to hear that you are not missing a part of the canopy.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 10 months ago:

@inflames: the upper dive brakes on the SBD are only deployed when the airplane is in a dive, otherwise they are flat with the rest of the upper surface of the wing. A small thing, easy to fix, that keeps this model top-notch for the accuracy you have created in it.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Good work, Sebastijan (@inflames). I always seem to find the missing part after I have created a replacement and finished the model. I have seen canopy sections that nest together like yours, but have never tried one. Looking forward to seeing it painted and installed.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys!

@tcinla Tom, you have a way with words. I wanted to cut corner with the dive breaks but you made me remove them and it turned out a more extensive work that I have expected. Had to remove all the flaps and the mechanism, had to trim the upper flaps to sit more or less level, then shave away quite some plastic from the inner side of the upper flaps as well as from the flaps actuating mechanism; which of course broke a couple of times being such a fragile thing. Thankfully I am almost done with this and I guess she'll be finished later this evening or maybe tomorrow.

• Profile Photo

@inflames - sorry for that! I didn't know the kit came wanting you to do the wrong thing. But you're talented enough I know it will work and will definitely look better.

• Profile Photo

@tcinla no worries. Unfortunately Flyhawk provides only mechanism for open flaps (lower and upper). But for their first aircraft kit, I can forgive them that and a few other tiny nitpicks. I guess most modellers will want to display them open despite not being as accurate, as the bright red interior lives up the model. But anyhow I can be a s****r for accuracy and you kicked my butt just enough to fix this, so thanks!

• Profile Photo

Thanks for this info, my friend @tcinla!

Wish I knew before...

...because here is my 1/32 Matchbox (Revell rebox) Dauntless...

(grossly simplified and inaccurate and turning out to have been finished with the - wrong - bluegray - upper shade - should be gray, but Revell instructions and a wrongly edited photo... ...took a toll on Yours Truly color decision...) 🙂

OF COURSE I modeled all dive brakes open! However, the presence of the pilots might have saved my day: they were checking the dive brakes operation with engine running? 🙂 @inflames

• Profile Photo

@fiveten - I actually Laughed Out Loud!

• Profile Photo

Here they are, finished! I will build a small carrier deck base with some figures to give scale and post it as an article on main page.