Mikro-MiGs in Christmas times!

Started by Magnus Fridsell · 39 · 8 years ago · 1/144, Bulgaria, Eduard, Finland, MiG-21
  • Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Time for some Christmas-MiGs! I did a pair of MFs a few years ago but wasn't too happy with the result so let's have a go with two of the BIS-version now! I picked this one up at Moson in Hungary directly from Eduard a year ago or so.

Markings were quickly decided upon: a Finnish one to pay respect to our friendly eastern neighbour (no, not that one...) and a Bulgarian one chosen because of its camo scheme.

Let's start with the usual round up of the kit specifics:

Box and boxart. Could be better...

...while the marking alternatives seem a little meager as well compared to the MF-boxing...

...but the plastic is of course top notch, Eduard doing what they're doing best! Same as in the MF-boxing but with a new sprue for the humpback spine.

And finally the traditional head start with a parts-on-sticks photo as an addded bonus!

Merry Christmas!
    Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Thats very interesting, will follow this. The plastics looks great, should be a lot of fun.
    Got some jets and airliners in 1/144 too, maybe a good inspiration.
    Merry Christmas to you 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Bernd! A visit to Tinytown every now and then never hurts 🙂 !

After lots of Christmas celebration, I have a bit more time on my hands now. An early morning at the modelling table resulted in the following:

Some detail painting of stuff I will be unable to reach...

...after buttoning up the fuselage...

A slight deserted-Eastern-Europe-airfield-boneyard feeling in this one...

Now back to the table!

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Interesting project Magnus though the tiny scale is well beyond my clumsy fingers.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Nice progress on your MiGs Magnus ! The 21 is not a big plane, its rather small, actually a tube with a cockpit and wings bolted on. There are some very nice kits out in this scale.
    Again, very tempting

• Profile Photo

Moving on... Fit is absolutely excellent! I did one thing I missed last time: I dry fitted the spine with the canopy taped in place, avoiding a small step behind the canopy by pressing the spine down while gluing.

Looking decidedly MiG-ish!

Neil and Bernd! A friend over at Aeroscale compared the size of the MiGs with a cigarette. I've never been a smoker but I think he is about right! And Neil, here you can see the comparison between kit size and a pair of medium-clumsy Swedish standard fingers 🙂 !

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo

Thats really nice and good detailed, did a Revell MiG-21 in 1/144 is this scale, many moons away in my youth, very crude.
    It seems that the "medium-clumsy Swedish fingers" are able to perform small scale modelling on a high level.

• Profile Photo

Bernd! The old Revell 144:s were rather horrible, I once got their F-16 as a gift. What I remember mostly from that one was the incredibly ugly box 🙂 ! The Eduard kits (and for that sake many other modern 144 kits) come from a different universe!

Cockpits finally buttoned up, I'll wait a few hours before putting on the masks!

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo

The old Revell MiG was one of the first moments, i realized that my shoddy work was not only responsible for the end result.
    Your MiGs look great, are masks for the die electric panels included too ?
    Small space fun 🙂

• Profile Photo

Bernd! There are masks for just about everything in the kit: all of the dielectric panels, the canopies and the wheels... Close to cheating but a big help!

Trying out Finish and Bulgarian colours on my trusty Matchbox Spitfire. Especially the Bulgarian colours look a bit on the vivid side, I might tone them down a bit more before attacking the MiG with the airbrush!

The most obvious thing missing in the kit are a set of small strakes below the wing leading edges. I made four of them from the thinnest PC I could find and even filed them a slight bit thinner before carefully attaching them to the models.

Most of the masking in place.

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo

Considering that the Bulgarian aircraft have seen better days paint-wise, I'll try some freehanding on it even if the size is a bit on the small side for such an undertaking...

On my way out for dinner with my wife now, I'll continue tomorrow!

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo

Looks good Magnus, this are a foreign objects devices what you made, good work on this.
    Should be on every MiG-21 since the second generation MiG-21s.
    There will be a MiG-21 walkaround here in the next time done by me, lots of pics ready but still no text about whats to see on the pictures.
    A Free hand camo on such little kits sounds like a very good airbrush !
    For me i must cut masks for my ancient stuff, good luck. Paint work on this type of aircraft is not easy without goog photo references (maybe its harder with 🙁 )
    Got myself a Revell F-14 and a F/A-18 in 1/144 over the last month, perhaps i start one after my Spitfire trip is over.
    Have a nice dinner

All the best
    Bernd

• Profile Photo

Back home again after a very nice dinner, I found a bit more hobby time 🙂 !

Bernd! Aha, I didn't know what they were for but they're for screening the secondary intakes then?

The freehanding has more to do with the paint than with the airbrush is my general impression. I use Gunze acrylics with their "levelling thinner" that flows very well through the airbrush, better than anything else I have ever tried.

The Bulgarian machine does need a few touchups, I didn't see it before I took the photos.

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Just seen these, they are small!
    Great work mate.

• Profile Photo

@superfreak Yep, you're right - small is the word 🙂 !

And a further little bit done, now requiring masking...

Two patients tonight, one Bulgarian...

...and one Finnish. Happy I don't need to talk to anyone of them...

...undersides finished. You must agree that especially the Bulgarian machine conveys a certain look of happiness 🙂 ! Who said camouflage needs to be drab?

Regards

Magnus