Mikro-MiGs in Christmas times!

Started by Magnus Fridsell · 39 · 8 years ago · 1/144, Bulgaria, Eduard, Finland, MiG-21
  • Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 8 years, 5 months ago:

Friends! Thanks a lot, here is finally the result!

It has taken a few hours of listening to podcasts and slowly and methodically trying to attach the twelve fins to each of the missile bodies...

One of the Aphids together with a pair of tweezers and a standard-sized Swedish thumb... This is my limit when it comes to tininess: any smaller and I wouldn't be able to handle it at all... Before starting, remember to look for your psychiatrist's loyalty card, this will probably earn you a few extra stamps...

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo

I've carefully read through Mal's instructions and used some of the spare masks I got from him for practice on my poor old Tempest and now I feel ready for doing the real thing...

...here I've peeled away the mask while leaving the "frame" that will be used as a fixture for the second round of masks that will allow me to paint the center of the numbers white, leaving a thin red surround. I really wish they were just red since at this stage the result is very close to perfect - those masks are really sharp!

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 8 years, 5 months ago:

Highly commendable work on those missiles Magnus, at that small a scale too.
    Those masks look the biz to.

Simon.

• Profile Photo

Simon! Thanks!

I painted the white centers tonight...

...and as you can see it was slightly difficult to align them, the outlines didn't get perfectly even. At normal viewing distance this isn't very noticeable so I'll declare myself happy enough with the result.

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo

After some more rather complicated fiddling, masking and centering...

The easy part, background white circles...

...is followed by a careful application of the three roundels inside the circles (look carefully at the fin)...

...and then some green paint (note amount of masking!)...

...and then removal of the surrounding masks in order to let the green dry for a day or two...

...and finally the red. Shouldn't be looked at in this magnification! Some touch-up is needed...

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo

I've been busy weathering this thing lately, maybe too busy... I ended up with a very dirty MiG that I haven't decided if I like or not yet. The original was also dirty and very weathered but in a completely different way. And the colours are off too... Anyway, here we go:

There is good hope for finishing this one before Christmas!

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Stellan Schroeder Englund said 8 years, 5 months ago:

Looking good, Magnus! Just add some Christmas gifts under the wings and youΒ΄re done πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 8 years, 4 months ago:

OK, I said "before Christmas" and here in Sweden Christmas is on the 24th. You have to trust me when I tell you that it moved into the display cabinet just before midnight yesterday!

Looking at the photos, the missiles could get a bit more detail before bringing it to a show. But that's for then...

Stellan! Are the Christmas gifts OK πŸ™‚ ?

Merry Christmas!

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 8 years, 4 months ago:

Great builds Magnus, both of them.
    In that small a scale too.
    Well done mate.