Mini-Art 1/48 Republic P-47D-25RE Thunderbolt - FINISHED!

Started by Tom Cleaver · 30 · 5 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

I put this on pre-order with Squadron, which resulted in a week's delay in getting it on release, due to Customs not letting Brandon get access to the kits for several days once they arrived. But it wasn't like I was twiddling my thumbs waiting impatiently, so all was well.

This kit is really impressive.

The level of detail regarding the surface detail, cockpit detail, engine detail, landing gear detail, is really staggering. If detail is your thing, this kit does to the Tamiya P-47 what Eduard did to the Tamiya P-51D. The kit doesn't make the Tamiya kit obsolete or anything, but it definitely steps up to first place for the detail.

This "basic kit" doesn't have a flaps-lowered option, though all control surfaces are separate. To me that's not a big deal, because outside of the Merlin P-51s, most World War II fighters don't sit on the ground with the flaps lowered. As Wayne Coleman from the 78th FG once told me, failing to raise the flaps once the airplane was on the ground would result in a 10-pound fine ($50, when a 2nd Lt's pay was $250 - enough to make one take notice).

One thing I noticed is that the prop is larger in diameter than the Tamiya prop. I haven't taken measurements yet, so I can't say who got it right, but I will do that with the next update.

The decals are the one failing. Mini-Art - like many others - can't seem to figure out the dimensions of US national insignia. And they are completely wrong about underwing insignias in the ETO being two different sizes. The personal markings for Schilling's airplane are worthwhile. Fortunately, there are lots of P-47D "bubbletop" aftermarket options still available at reasonable prices if you don't have a stash of them already. I'm going to use an Aeromaster sheet to do "Butch" from the 353rd FG with this one.

Fit of parts is superb. No filler needed on the fuselage, and the centerline fit was so good it only needed a light scrapedown. This means - as with most other modern CAD designs - that you have to get the mating surfaces absolutely right: nice and smooth.

This is also a kit that requires you to commit the revolutionary act of actually reading and following the instructions. The extensive instruction booklet is definitely not "somebody's opinion." There are a lot of small parts, and you definitely need to consult the sheet to find out not only what goes where but where to find it on the several sprues.

Overall I like this a lot and it will definitely not be the only one I do. It's pretty obvious from some of the "do not use" parts on the sprues that a razorback will be forthcoming.

(yes, I managed to break off the radio antenna mast; replacing it wasn't hard, but take that as a sign to be careful in assembly)

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

TC, your not modeling if you haven't broken something on a kit. Having preordered the kit mine arrived from Poland in a timely matter. This kit is the Fan Boys delight. With all of the details and options.

• Profile Photo

As Stephen has pointed out, this is indeed the fan boy's delight.

Herewith the airframe assembled.

There is enough detail to deal with in assembling the wings that an extended span of attention is very helpful. fortunately, we Aspergians have those among the superpowers. 🙂

The wheel well makes up from individual parts. The raised flap is part of the wing assembly to provide the rear spar holding the wing halves in position. There is no spar, but the fore and aft bulkheads of the wheel wells extend and become tabs with attachment of wing to fuselage.

I cannot say enough about the amazing fit. I have never worked on a model with such precise fit.

Contra the World's Finest Psychic Modelers, who are able to spot all deficiencies in new kits without ever touching the actual plastic and using only overlit cellphone photos to determine the quality of the accuracy, the wing guns do in fact set up horizontal to the ground (as they are supposed to) when the wing is properly assembled. (Remember, they are the same geniuses who proclaimed last month that the Magic Factory Corsairs were "hopelessly wrong" and therefore "unbuildable.")

Overall, the only "difficulty" in this kit is being sure that the mating surfaces are absolutely completely cleaned up with no bit of sprue nub to harm the alignment.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The Hamilton Standard propeller on this kit is 3 7/16 inches in diameter, which works out to 13 feet 9 inches in 1:1

The Hamilton Standard prop on the Tamiya P-47D-24 is 3 1/4 inches, which is 13.0 feet

The actual size of the P-47D Hamilton-Standard prop is 13 feet 1 7/8 inches

The Tamiya prop is 1/24 inch too small, the MiniArt prop is approximately 1/6 inch too big. The Tamiya prop hug is considered too large; the MiniArt prop hub "looks about right" compared to a photo.

It's easier to trim the MiniArt prop 3/32 inch on each blade to the right size, and it will look better with the proper-size hub.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Tom Cleaver (@tcinla)
    Hey buddy. I got your email but I have been super busy. I finished up the restoration on Sandy's truck. Now I'm in the middle of a front porch renovation so I have had exactly -0- time at the bench.

Boy you sure know how to hurt a guys wallet ! 😉

This one looks like I'll be getting a second mortgage soon... between this one and the new tool Eduard P-51B.

Looks great and please keep it going for us who are living vicariously through you at the moment... Take care and have a Happy Thanksgiving if I don't get to talk with you between now and then.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

This looks like another good one, Tom (@tcinla). I just got mine in the mail and now I need to find a spot in the build queue for it. Looking forward to the paint and decals.

• Profile Photo

@lgardner - You too, my friend.

• Profile Photo

@gblair - pop it to the top. You'll love it, particularly with your detailing skills.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Another superb entry, my friend @tcinla! Really looking forward to see this excellent kit turning into a superb Jug!

• Profile Photo
    Keith said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looking good so far Tom @tcinla. I have been wanting to build the Tamiya P-47 Razorback ever since seeing the P-47D-15RE at the USAF museum, but would also like to build a bubble top variation eventually.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Beautiful kit to work on, Tom @tcinla
    Half a day later and you're already close to the paint session.
    Great progress.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

TC, your comment on "the Tamiya prop hug" brought a smile. A Freudian slip no doubt but, I can't help but thinking that this kit does give the warm fuzzy feeling of wanting too. Not recommend. Given your speed and building this kit. These new release kits from the Ukraine for some its ho-hum another standard. However, in looking at what can be done with a CAD designed kit and what can now be tooled with these current molds the level of detail that can be made is impressive. Combine this with what can now be printed should put some of the accuracy police to rest. This ain't your old Monogram kit.

• Profile Photo

Here it is assembled and ready for the point shop.

When assembling the engine - the best representation of an R-2800 I have seen in injection plastic - I started to see what the advanced kit must contain. There are parts to do the entire engine, with the full exhaust system; you only use the front parts with this kit. There must be more open panels, which would allow a super detailer and a diorama maker to do a really good maintenance diorama. The multi-part cowling presents no drama at all - provided you have fitted all the parts for the internal detail accurately and aligned them perfectly. This kit will not accept less than your best as a modeler - no halfway hamfisted stuff allowed!

The kit has the option of open or closed cowling flaps.

Paint shop this week. The model will receive a full review at M2 a w eek from tomorrow, the Monday after Thanksgiving weekend here in the US.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looks awesome so far, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Very nice work, Tom @tcinla